Make a donation

Author Topic: Ed30 lack of power... sometimes ?? Help  (Read 1064 times)

Offline B1NCC 1.8T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Ed30 lack of power... sometimes ?? Help
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:27:29 pm »
Had my edition 30 5 years now.
 But every so often -put the foot down and she always pulls well, but sometimes it's goes really really well then other times it doesn't -feels kinda poor.
Difficult to put finger on.
It's did it all the time I've had the car. I gave it full service with genuine parts and
5-40 millers oil. Correct spec plugs and fuel filter etc.
Also now runs Revo cam coated Intake and Cat back Miltek ( issue was there before and after these were fitted)

I Replaced a slightly squashed DV hose with a uprated silicone forge item and replaced the DV to the newest part number (can't remember the number but the piston type from golf R) also replaced the breather valve on the rocker cover.
And replaced the fuel pump cam follower.

All the above were not faulty at all but replaced  them because they are all guilty of giving issues (as you will know). But issue still there.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue at all ????

It's currently off the road for winter but will be taxed on 1st April.
Last time I drove it, it did it and I was beginning to think it's maybe the fuel pump in the tank. But only guessing at that.

Also never any faults logged in VCDS.

20vt mk2 & GTI Edition30 no 0540

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Ed30 lack of power... sometimes ?? Help
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 11:58:14 am »
Standard or remapped?

Turbo engines can be inconsistent.  It's part of their 'charm' or character flaw, which ever way you look at it.

My ED30 was the same but I recently removed all the leak prone bayonet-O ring pipe joiners in the boost path, and it's been way more consistent ever since.

Something else I noticed recently when troubleshooting a lumpy idle (which also caused sluggish response in boost), was VW only did the sparkplugs up finger tight at the last service.   The coils had also deposited a load of green grease on the plug connector too.  I threw in a set of NGK BKR7EIX plugs in I had lying around, cleaned up the coils and torqued the plugs up properly and it's bloody brilliant now  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline B1NCC 1.8T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:53:04 pm »
The car had standard map just now, I'm planning on remapping it this year.
Hence why I was asking about this problem, incase it's something I can fix before getting to rollers.

What's the recommend spark plugs/upgrade for these engine.
I've only fitted the ones the Vw dealer parts dep supplied

20vt mk2 & GTI Edition30 no 0540

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:20:09 pm »
Try a revision G diverter valve if you're running a D. D is a piston valve, like you mention, and can seep a bit of boost. G is a diaphram, so theoretically holds boost better, but might not last as long. G is probably preferred over the D, overall. The aftermarket GFB DV+ apparently works better than even a rev G, but I couldn't personally recommend one. I'll probably try one at some point, but as it stands my rev G is still coping well with Stage 2 after a good year.

Standard Bosch plugs are fine, or the NGK plugs Pudding mentioned. I've got a new unused set of the NGKs if you want to try them.

I agree that these engines (just like the old 1.8T) can feel temperamental. Some days it feels 'ok', others it's boosting its balls off and lighting up the tyres in 3rd. Mine seems more consistent these days, for whatever reason.

Check the basics - boost leaks, pcv, cam follower, dv, plugs, coils. They can all intermittently affect performance to some degree. You can get a smoke test done for boost leaks. Plugs and coils are relatively cheap to renew. You can use the red top Audi R8 coils (buy them from AKS Tuning), they're cheaper than VW coils but do the same thing.

If you can do a bit of live data logging with VCDS it might offer some clues. There are lots of parameters you can choose to log, but I'd suggest low pressure fuel, high pressure fuel, boost, that kind of thing. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can suggest a specific set of parameters to log for general troubleshooting.

If everything checks out, and you haven't already, take the car out for a good long drive, get it nicely up to temp and give it a bit of stick. There's a fair bit of ECU adaptation that goes on, and sometimes it needs a good cycle. The Italian Tuneup, in other words.

Good luck.