Make a donation

Author Topic: Cam follower quick question  (Read 2644 times)

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
Cam follower quick question
« on: May 06, 2017, 03:14:08 pm »
Hi, I'm just about to start replacing the above and am using a couple of guides I've found online. I noticed though my fuel pump doesn't have a pressure valve as mentioned in the guides. Does this matter? Can I just loosen off the other connecting pipes and drain as normal. Also one guide mentions setting tdc and the other doesnt mention it at all. Is this important to do? Thanks.

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Cam follower quick question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 07:05:11 pm »
Never mind, had to abandon this job, mods this thread can be deleted thanks.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 07:35:55 pm »

I'm intrigued, do you have a pic of your pump?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 08:38:52 pm »
You have the very early hpfp without the schrader valve and NO it doesn't matter  :happy2:

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 08:39:23 pm »

Standard on the earlier pumps

Not sure if the op is interested but just need to remove pump fuse and let the car run until it cuts out. And no need to worry about TDC

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 09:14:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies anyway. I had a go regardless but found out when I was half way through the job I had the banjo bolt type fixing at the bottom, nightmare! Tried for over an hour to bodge some kind of attachment to loosen it but it's just in too difficult of a position. Car is going in for service in a couple of weeks at VW so will ask them if they can do it then.

@mike I'll post a pic when I get a min.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 09:19:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies anyway. I had a go regardless but found out when I was half way through the job I had the banjo bolt type fixing at the bottom, nightmare! Tried for over an hour to bodge some kind of attachment to loosen it but it's just in too difficult of a position. Car is going in for service in a couple of weeks at VW so will ask them if they can do it then.

@mike I'll post a pic when I get a min.

It's okay buddy, I was just unaware that the early ones didn't have the relief valve (y)

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 11:17:47 pm »

Standard on the earlier pumps

Not sure if the op is interested but just need to remove pump fuse and let the car run until it cuts out. And no need to worry about TDC
i didn't ever bother and let the little amount of fuel spsssst out  :signLOL:
Put my original one back in as it works and the other didn't as it was faulty thank goodness I found out now before mapping  :surprised:

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 01:17:52 am »
Well here's a pic anyway for anyone interested. I'm sure also the connector on the left is in a more awkward position that usual, facing towards the engine making it pretty much impossible to get at with a screwdriver.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 01:26:09 am »
Well here's a pic anyway for anyone interested. I'm sure also the connector on the left is in a more awkward position that usual, facing towards the engine making it pretty much impossible to get at with a screwdriver.

i have nimble fingers but it is a stupid design and the later version is faced upward so no issues. You need a 1/8 drive ratchet a 3" extension bar a ten mm socket and a 12 sided to get decent access to the banjo bolt and its a lot easier to remove the other cam breather pipe and just move it toward battery. Did mine twice last weekend to fault find  :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 10:55:46 pm »
Never seen that design.  Glad they revised it lol

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 11:23:10 pm »

i have nimble fingers but it is a stupid design and the later version is faced upward so no issues. You need a 1/8 drive ratchet a 3" extension bar a ten mm socket and a 12 sided to get decent access to the banjo bolt and its a lot easier to remove the other cam breather pipe and just move it toward battery. Did mine twice last weekend to fault find  :happy2:

There was no way I was getting any kind of ratchet in there, the only tool I could fit was a standard spanner which was pretty much useless at holding anything that would grip the banjo. Also the pipe next to it was metal so there was no moving it towards the battery, fml lol.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 12:06:37 am »

There was no way I was getting any kind of ratchet in there, the only tool I could fit was a standard spanner which was pretty much useless at holding anything that would grip the banjo. Also the pipe next to it was metal so there was no moving it towards the battery, fml lol.
as I said I've done it many times now and it's easy once you've had a few goes  :phew: my way works well and tens minutes to remove although I've gotten quicker at it now.  :signLOL: