Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone tried VWR dampers with OEM springs?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: MY2008 Mk5 Manual 5dr GTI Tornado Red
Anyone tried VWR dampers with OEM springs?
« on: June 01, 2017, 11:48:22 am »
Hi.

Tried a search but could only find VWR dampers being used with VWR springs or Eibach (mostly).

I'm looking for a smoother, less jiggly ride but have driveway clearance issues, so have to stay at, or very close to, OEM ride height. 

Hence my thinking about VWR dampers, which I hear good things about, but teamed with OEM springs.

Option to are Koni FSDs on OEM springs.

Any opinions gladly received.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Anyone tried VWR dampers with OEM springs?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 12:10:33 pm »
I've just fitted VWR springs with OEM dampers and I don't think it's dropped anywhere near 30 - 35mm. I'd say its more like 15 - 20mm at most.
what are they like ride wise @Octoparrot and what did they cost you total

I would say the ride feels firm and well damped without being harsh, crashy or jarring and body roll seems significantly reduced though how much is the springs and how much the new dampers I don't know. I personally wouldn't want any thing stiffer as  my commute is mainly B-roads. I'm really pleased with the choice I made.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:42:40 pm »
I've just fitted VWR springs with OEM dampers and I don't think it's dropped anywhere near 30 - 35mm. I'd say its more like 15 - 20mm at most.
what are they like ride wise @Octoparrot and what did they cost you total
[/quote
I would say the ride feels firm and well damped without being harsh, crashy or jarring and body roll seems significantly reduced though how much is the springs and how much the new dampers I don't know. I personally wouldn't want any thing stiffer as  my commute is mainly B-roads. I'm really pleased with the choice I made.

Cheers Pudding. 

If I read that ^ correctly Octoparrot has OEM dampers on VWR springs?  I'll be looking at the opposite set up - ie. VWR dampers with OEM springs.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 02:00:09 pm »
Yeah sorry, just realized he did it the other way round!

I'm pretty sure someone has tried VWR dampers with VW springs though!

Further to my comments about clunks and 'bottoming out' (bumpstop hitting), it appears I didn't do something quite right when I fitted the VWR kit as the nearside is the only one that clunks on medium bumps, leading to me believe it was crashing into the bumpstops.  I think I didn't tighten the strut top nut enough.  Will let you know, but it would mean one of the negatives of the VWR kit I mentioned in my PM is false  :happy2:

The more I drive it with the VWR kit, the more I'm bonding with it.  There's a particular back road which is a fast, sweeping and uneven surface.  On the original suspension, it used to jiggle around so much I had to slow down, and I wasn't even going that fast.  With the VWR, it just glides over it and the body control is superb. 

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 02:04:16 am »
Yeah sorry, just realized he did it the other way round!

I'm pretty sure someone has tried VWR dampers with VW springs though!

Further to my comments about clunks and 'bottoming out' (bumpstop hitting), it appears I didn't do something quite right when I fitted the VWR kit as the nearside is the only one that clunks on medium bumps, leading to me believe it was crashing into the bumpstops.  I think I didn't tighten the strut top nut enough.  Will let you know, but it would mean one of the negatives of the VWR kit I mentioned in my PM is false  :happy2:

The more I drive it with the VWR kit, the more I'm bonding with it.  There's a particular back road which is a fast, sweeping and uneven surface.  On the original suspension, it used to jiggle around so much I had to slow down, and I wasn't even going that fast.  With the VWR, it just glides over it and the body control is superb.

Thanks - all good info and much appreciated.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:58:41 am »
Everything tight under there, therefore my clonks are coming from the steering rack.  The joys.

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:37:53 am »
Everything tight under there, therefore my clonks are coming from the steering rack.  The joys.

Bugger.  :-(   Sorry to hear.  I'm on my 3rd steering rack, pretty sure it's the mk6 revision, so hopefully my last.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 01:47:04 pm »
3rd!  Wow.  C'est la vie.  I've owned VWs since 1990 and steering racks have been a problem on all of them!  VAG like to make heavy cars with huge tyres (for a hatchback) but don't bother beefing up the rack to cope with it.