Make a donation

Author Topic: Insurance Rant.....  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Insurance Rant.....
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:58:14 am »
My current insurers (the one with the daft woman with the naval hat and uniform, ha ha) have ramped up my multicar prices, as I spoke to them to try and get the prices down, and ended up with an increase, largely attributed to my speed awareness course (35 in 30 MPH). This isn't a conviction, but they seem to regard it as one. No other companies seem to ask about speed awareness - only convictions, points, FPN's etc. Grrrr. Usually, I have a sensible discussion at renewal time and secure some reduction; but not this time, so I'm going to move elsewhere, after 10 +years.

Question: is it worth paying for  protected bonus? seems to me that they will load the policy because of any  accident / claim anyway, so I'm wondering about not bothering with it. Some insurers add an extra £30 for each car for this; plus £30 each car for legal protection. Any thoughts / suggestions / recommendations for Multi car policies.....pls.

Ta

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
Re: Insurance Rant.....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 10:35:23 am »
Move insurers.....

But fwiw, I have never found multicar policies to be cost effective. Perhaps that's due to my personal profile, as well as the diverse nature of our small "fleet"?
I tend to try to use the most competitive insurer for each vehicle type. They do seem to have their favourites?
Yes it's more work and more hassle, but I would assume that's a service I would otherwise be paying for?

Know for sure that LV (wifey's Fiat 500) won't touch my ed!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Insurance Rant.....
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 02:35:20 pm »
Hmmmm, I hate the entire stinking corrupt system. 

I don't know how they get away with tacking on seemingly unsanctioned methods to extract more cash from you.  "Oh you've done a SAC? That's a 10% loading, thanks". "Oh, you had fish fingers for tea last Thursday? That'll be another 5% please". "Insert some other random excuse for theft here...." etc etc.  I say unsanctioned, because as you say, not all insurers hit you with the same bullsh*t loadings.   There's just no consistency to any of it.  Ambulance chasers, bodyshops, autoglas, main dealer franchises, the government.....they've all got their fingers in the insurance pie.  The government don't care because they're getting their IPT regardless, and the insurance ombudsman/governing body are about as proactive and fast moving as a glacier....and I'm sure there's some of the pie left for them, too....... but what can you do?

Move elsewhere, that's what you do!  They rely on people blindly renewing, but don't give them the satisfaction.

I would say bonus protection is worth it, but legal fees? Hmmmm, not sure on that one.  As above, they're all in bed with each other.  We all know claims go 50/50 these days, regardless of fault.  So just get the minimum cover you feel comfortable with.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:36:58 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D