Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 gti headlight aim adjustment??  (Read 5581 times)

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Mk5 gti headlight aim adjustment??
« on: December 24, 2017, 07:57:53 am »
Hi,

I bought some aftermarket r32 black edition replica headlights that use a HID kit for my edition 30 however the low beam aim is awfully low..(it did say in the description that I had to adjust them).. I have researched ways to adjust it but I cant seem to figure out the easiest way of adjusting them? In the youtube videos i have seen, it seems as if one of the headlights is already adjusted properly however both my headlights are off so how do I know how far away they are supposed to shine the road? What is the best way to adjust them accurately without special tools?

Also, my headlight range control inside the car doesnt seem to be doing anything? Before the aftermarket headlights, the car had the standard GTI headlights and the range was not working with them as well so there must be something faulty but what? VAGCOM doesnt show any faults. Im also not sure if the aftermarket headlights have the range control module inside them but surely all headlights come equiped with that?

If any help is given it would be greatly appreciated!

Merry christmas to all!

Thanks.

Offline Tazocin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
Re: Mk5 gti headlight aim adjustment??
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 02:05:23 pm »
Depends on the model somewhat but most headlights have a L-R and and Up-Down screw located on them on each side. Ive got some after market depo projector ones and they have the same screws as stock headlights. Basically its a phillips head screw that turns the thread the light is mounted on so check around the barrel of the headlight casing. Mine are accessible with the headlight mounted so they tend to be quite obvious.

Some also have a LHD/RHD throw switch inside the headlight barrel that might need adjusting. Chuck a photo of your headlights up and you may find some people who have the exact model on here who can advise

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 09:12:35 pm »
Depends on the model somewhat but most headlights have a L-R and and Up-Down screw located on them on each side. Ive got some after market depo projector ones and they have the same screws as stock headlights. Basically its a phillips head screw that turns the thread the light is mounted on so check around the barrel of the headlight casing. Mine are accessible with the headlight mounted so they tend to be quite obvious.

Some also have a LHD/RHD throw switch inside the headlight barrel that might need adjusting. Chuck a photo of your headlights up and you may find some people who have the exact model on here who can advise

Thanks for the reply, I already know where the L-R and Up-Down screws are located, it is exactly the same as the Depo headlights.. Sorry if I wasnt clear, I want to know how far distance the beam is meant too go? I already know how to adjust them, I just dont know how much to adjust them thats all.. At the moment I can only see around 20 feet in front of me at night, how much am I meant to see? With full beam on, I can see everything but I cant always use full beam thats why I need to adjust my low beam.. Do I have too see around 160ft in front of me? also, I have seen people adjust their headlights where they are putting the car against a wall really closely and using tape to mark the wall however how can I do that if my headlights are already out of adjustment? 1 is pointing quite far up and 1 is pointing really down. 1 is pointing far up as I was adjusting it then realised I didnt actually know how much to adjust by :D However even though its far up, I still cant see most of the road, left beam shows me around 60ft in front and the right one is showing me only 30ft max.. So how far up do I adjust them? thats what I want too know.

Thanks

4ndy

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 09:47:26 pm »
MOT man charged me £18 to sort my beam pattern before testing. £18 bargain :happy2:

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 12:15:45 am »
MOT man charged me £18 to sort my beam pattern before testing. £18 bargain :happy2:

Which mot guy did you go too? I have adjusted them now but now they seem too high.. I can now see road signs clearly..are they set too high??im thinking to get them done by mot guy but what if he sets them too low???

Thanks.

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 08:00:04 am »
Just went for a quick drive again and got flashed by someone so they are probably set too high again :( I have no idea how low/high they are meant to be lol

Offline Uncleben

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 08:47:22 pm »
Hi, the only way you can correctly set the headlamp aim is by using a headlamp aim and beam pattern tester, every mot station will have one so just pop along to your local mot place and ask them to set them up for you, shouldn't charge more than a half hour labour, This way you know they will be set within mot tolerances, however, I have known some aftermarket headlamps to come with the inside of the headlamp detatched from the adjusting mechanism.
 In the meantime, just set them too low so at least you won't dazzle oncoming cars!