Make a donation

Author Topic: OCTAVIA 2 vRS - upgrade in progress - now 4x4 :D  (Read 15252 times)

Offline Bogdanbd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
Re: OCTAVIA 2 vRS - upgrade in progress
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 09:13:55 pm »
Aha, good to know, thx.

Some goodies arrived today:

4x4-O2 RS REVO stg 3 - 370HP-K04 turbo-Haldex controller-Autotech HPFP-S3 injectors-NGK sparks-RS4 FPR Valve-EVOMS CAI-S3 FMIC+Forge Twintercooler & Actuator-USP fluidampr-custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust-KW coilover kit V1-S3 brakes front/rear + TAROX F2000 discs-LOBA-Sachs stg 2-VF Mounts-BSH PCV revamp-Forge short shifter-W.A.L.K.-H&R AntiRollBar kit + BSH end links -Team Dynamics ProRace 1.21 8x8J Anthracite/White

Offline alexandru

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 07:44:52 pm »
 :happy2: nice car ... happy to find you here too :)

Offline Bogdanbd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 03:25:14 pm »

I'm facing a big indecision...

I have the possibility of buying SH Ausi RS6,  MTM branded, brakes at abt 1200 euros.
Is this a worthy upgrade vs the S3 brakes that I have now? For trackday use? Nring + Hungaroring?
Should I make a super effort to buy them or should I stick with my current setup?

For trackday I use for the S3 brakes Hawk HPplus pads, the MTM brakes will definitely only go with the stock pads...

The RS 6 brakes will fit my car only if I use a 10mm spacer.

They look like this:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:26:46 pm by Bogdanbd »
4x4-O2 RS REVO stg 3 - 370HP-K04 turbo-Haldex controller-Autotech HPFP-S3 injectors-NGK sparks-RS4 FPR Valve-EVOMS CAI-S3 FMIC+Forge Twintercooler & Actuator-USP fluidampr-custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust-KW coilover kit V1-S3 brakes front/rear + TAROX F2000 discs-LOBA-Sachs stg 2-VF Mounts-BSH PCV revamp-Forge short shifter-W.A.L.K.-H&R AntiRollBar kit + BSH end links -Team Dynamics ProRace 1.21 8x8J Anthracite/White

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »
In response to your PM...

Seems like a lot of money to me. I assume they're a 6-pot brembo from an RS4/6? Can you try them for a week or so and see what you think of them??

They're intended for a car with a bigger master cylinder than the Octavia, so the typical problem with these conversions is the pedal is very poor and you get no modulation, just on/off brakes... not ideal for the track.

Ultimately they'll be more powerful than the S3 brakes, but I don't think they'll be as nice to use and I don't think they're worth 1200euros.

I would look at keeping the S3 disc and changing the caliper for a 4/6 pot AP Racing one.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:52:11 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Bogdanbd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »
THX tony.
The brakes have an 8 pot caliper.

Any ideea how much would COST the recommended calipers from AP Racing?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:13:09 pm by Bogdanbd »

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 04:00:50 pm »
It's a 8-pot Brembo branded by MTM. Should generally work fine but a bit heavy.

MTM sells them as upgrade für GTI, S3 etc. without replacing the master cylinder
but I don't know if it will change pedal feel.

But what about the condition? I doesn' look pretty good. The rotors have to be
replaced or at least refurbished.

I'd go for the RS3 (with Pagid RS4-2) or the VWR kit.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:12:05 pm by the bruce »
"You get what you pay for."

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 04:06:16 pm »
Ahh, yes - that 8-pot kit was sold over here by a few companies, it got terrible reviews due to the pedal travel. There simply isn't enough capacity in the master cylinder to make them work properly.

How much is an RS3 kit?
Sideways yo!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 04:16:08 pm »
Isn't the RS3 the same as the TTRS? if so it will require spacers as will the MTM branded calipers above requires spacers also.

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Bogdanbd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 04:19:35 pm »
Spacers is not a problem, I can go with 10 mm spacers and no rubbing (only if the trunk is loaded at max) which is not the case on the track  :smiley:

Tony, any ideea how much would COST the recommended calipers from AP Racing? Your ideea is very interesting.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 04:24:16 pm »
DaveB knows the exact caliper that works with the S3 disc, I'm sure there were some for sale recently? edit link here

For ref:

My Alcon calipers were 4-pot and had 38mm & 41mm piston sizes, looking other kits from AP (38/44 iirc?) and other decent manufacturers, this seems to be about the right combination for the Golf platform's master cylinder.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:42:37 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 04:52:54 pm »
Run this past DaveB first to check.

S3 disc is 30mm, correct? I can't see 1mm either side extra being an issue.

AP - CP5040 32mm. Link

Alcon Type B/K 32mm. Link
Sideways yo!

Offline Bogdanbd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 05:10:32 pm »
THX for the tips Tony!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 05:21:56 pm »
Jake & Tony,

RS3 seems to be nearly the same as TT-RS, but little different on bracket and disc bell
for the necessary clearence with ET50 wheels.
In Germany about 1800,-- € incl. pads. I don't like the extremly large 370 mm discs.

The recommended AP Racing and Alcon Kits are without any doubt even better !!

ps:
RS3: 370 x 32 - S3: 345 x 30
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:25:45 pm by the bruce »

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »
Theres quite a bit of bad press with these calipers, one of the big problems is that unless they're fitted properly they will feel shocking.

I've recently had to.....shall we say...enlighten some of the TTRS  chaps over on the VAGOC forum that in every single installation I have EVER EVER seen of these calipers they have been upside down so no wonder they feel crap and wear out pads at an accelerated rate

http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=7025&page=2

Even the big tuners such as AMD/TT Shop and all the others which supposedly know what they're doing never bothered converting them from lagging to leading. The RS3 will be the first VAG with leading 8 pots.

So the pedal feel will be much improved and their is potential for these calipers to become a good upgrade mated with some good pads. Be warned the pads for these calipers retail at around £600 with the VAT and shipping for the  RS29's that the TT boys will be fitting cheapies are available from ebay for £80

The small piston sizes on the leading side are only 30mm so should give good bite and the pedal will better than say a 4 pot with the same surface area such as a 40/46.

They aren't worth £1200 with a dodgy paint job, if they've been tracked with OEM pads they'll probably also be warped which is in 9 out of 10 cases the reason why there on ebay or being sold

The calipers need work but would then be relifed as gallardo calipers as the setup is in essence the same

You could also use some AP 362mm discs on custom bells and custom carriers and move the whole assembly inboard on a TT to mitigate spacer requirements, Im talking to somebody on the VAGOC at the moment about doing that - rplacement discs would be 350

The pad is also a 54mm deep pad on a 61mm deep disc which is why you get the big lips and rusty rings on these setups - parts bin engineering at its worst

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 08:20:51 pm »
THX, Dave !!  :happy2:

The RS3 will be the first VAG with leading 8 pots.

The TT-RS/RS3 is just 4-pot.  :wink: