Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone running Michelin PS3's?  (Read 13460 times)

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
Anyone running Michelin PS3's?
« on: February 09, 2010, 06:01:01 pm »
Loads of tyre posts recently I know but im looking for feedback on the new michelins.

I had that horrible realisation that my rear tyres have less than 500 miles left on them yesterday.  There was me thinking tyres wouldnt be an issue until after the summer :mad:

Anyway, I have vredestein sessantas and F1 assymetrics on at the moment and it will be the F1's which will be replaced.

I've been really impressed with both tyres but they both seem to have worn out really quickly and im told that the PS3's are just as good but last a lot longer?  I also like the idea of trying something new :laugh:

Anyway, best prices I've found today fitted are;

Vreds £200
F1's £230
PS3's £268

I cant say i noticed any difference between the vreds and F1's except that the f1's rim protector was far better and i think the vred are wearing out quicker.  For £30 I'm thinking play safe with F1's but just another £38 and maybe the PS3's could be the best tyres yet?

Thoughts please :happy2:

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Re: Anyone running Michelin PS3's?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:25:45 pm »
PS3 only came out in January so it's unlikely many people have any real experience of them.
The dealers I've spoken to suggest they are an improvement over the PS2.

I'll be giving them a go in the Summer.

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:32:57 pm »
Have the PS2's come down in price since the PS3's have been introduced? They could represent a good buy.

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:33:18 pm »
ps 3 are brand new, bit of an uknown but going on the performance of the PS2 Im pretty excited that theyll be amazing  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Nick S

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:42:38 pm »
I got PS2's the other week £140 a corner

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:44:16 pm »
Cheers guys, i thought as much.  I don't know what to do, can get vreds £192 fitted now.  Performance wise, browsing loads of forums there seems to be nothing between any of the tyres so im now thinking, save my money and get the vreds.  I was thinking earlier, they are also superb in the snow which has been a real bonus considering how poor other tyres i"ve had have been.  And i know it shouldn't be important but they look way cooler than the others :happy2:

Offline jaydubveedub

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:47:24 pm »
I've been running the PS3's on the front of my MK5 GTI (18") for a couple of weeks now. I previously had the PS2's fitted.

The PS3's are a BIG improvement. The wet weather grip is incredible. Due to the weather, I have been unable to fully test the dry capabilities.

I paid £142 a corner for the PS3's, which strangely was the same as the price they were doing on the PS2's!

Btw, I am new here as i've been over on the 'other' forum.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:55:05 pm »
I've been running the PS3's on the front of my MK5 GTI (18") for a couple of weeks now. I previously had the PS2's fitted.

The PS3's are a BIG improvement. The wet weather grip is incredible. Due to the weather, I have been unable to fully test the dry capabilities.

I paid £142 a corner for the PS3's, which strangely was the same as the price they were doing on the PS2's!

Cheers for the feedback.

How big is the rim protector on them?

Ryan

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:01:09 pm »
thanks for the update jay  :happy2:
sounds like itll be ps3's for me next time round
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline jaydubveedub

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 09:09:02 pm »

[/quote]

The rim protector is quite good and would offer SOME protection against kerbing, certainly better than a normal tyre. If for example you were to brush against a kerb whilst parking, it would probably save you from damage.

However, if you were to park like a c*nt then it won't help you much.

Needless to say, I stay well away from any kerbs if at all possible!

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 09:29:23 pm »

The rim protector is quite good and would offer SOME protection against kerbing, certainly better than a normal tyre. If for example you were to brush against a kerb whilst parking, it would probably save you from damage.

However, if you were to park like a c*nt then it won't help you much.

Needless to say, I stay well away from any kerbs if at all possible!
[/quote]

That's good to know cheers.  The Vreds i have now wouldn't give me much protection from curbs but the F1's have a massive protector which is very useful, especially when the missus has a drive :happy2:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 09:35:34 pm »

Any chance of posting pics of the tread and side walls plz...  :drool:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 10:16:48 pm »
Ive just paid 320 for two toyo r1r's today, cant wait to get them fitted. Will be replacing my eagle f1 assys up front.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 11:23:31 pm »

Costco have a deal on at the moment, by invitation only until 14th Feb (still trying to get in on it) 20% off purchase of 2 tyres (normally they do 20% off purchase of 4 tyres) £118 per tyre fitted  :wink:

I was quoted same price for PS3's as PS2's for the Audi (but they had to order them in) some talk but not confirmed as yet that the 20% off 4 tyres may start after the 15th Feb

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 08:03:25 am »
I think it depends on the Costco store, the one in Bristol would not order them in, they have a massive surplus of PS2 to use up.