Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Racing Big Brake kit product review  (Read 120314 times)

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: VW Racing Big Brake kit product review
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2012, 09:51:07 pm »
Well I can definately vouch for the setup supplied by dave and they are a huge improvement on the r8 calipers I had on it which were in there own right very good sharp brakes. The wear on the r8 setup was even and very good and just seemed to last considering the stress they were under, they never come across any issues like the vwr ones. The 8 pots I have on now though are just immense, they are lighter than the 4 pots as dave can confirm and bigger surface area on the discs, being 362mm therefore better cooling aswell as being a fully floating design. I have had no issues what so ever with these and they get a very hard life and as of yet the pad wear is nice ad even aswell. P.s Steve once I'm sorted and we start getting on track days in the next couple of months you are welcome to see what they are like pal.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2012, 10:03:40 pm »
I'm depressed now :signLOL:

Dave have you seen their 4 pot kits, wandering if they have the same issues as the 6 pots? Can you switch from a fixed two piece disc to a floating setup using the same bell or us it new everything. 

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2012, 10:08:58 pm »
I'm depressed now :signLOL:

Dave have you seen their 4 pot kits, wandering if they have the same issues as the 6 pots? Can you switch from a fixed two piece disc to a floating setup using the same bell or us it new everything. 

Do we have to slap you with a wet fish before you get the message. Buy something  else that works correctly.  :happy2:                                                                   

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2012, 10:14:28 pm »
Think I might just stick with my previous plans  :sad1:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2012, 10:19:02 pm »
Maybe vwr should look into a floating disc setup then judging by the pad wear you guys are having on track

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #260 on: February 19, 2012, 10:51:06 pm »
Already on it Matt, been asked half a dozen times.

The advantage of float in the bell is that you can use rotors deigned to be bolted such as the VWR ones

Plan is to ditch the VWR bell and replace it with my own design and mate it with the CP4015 bobbin kit

Won't be cheap but it will give some more headroom, problem is nobody will cough for the part number or make of the rotor, I suspect they would rather avoid that. Theres little point charging somebody £300-400 quid to convert it if the rotor is of dubious origin

Maybe vwr should look into a floating disc setup then judging by the pad wear you guys are having on track

Matt it's nothing to do with the rotor it's the caliper that is  on upside down........

I know the VWR logo on the bell is like a cuddle blanket to some. but it really does need to go for track work

@mikeRoberts

Where's that pic of you at Oulton with the red hot brakes, can you post it up to demonstrate floating vs bolted

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: February 19, 2012, 10:57:59 pm »
The vwr logo is a sticker  :signLOL: it was http://www.caparoapbraking.com/ who made the brakes and I thought made the discs

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #262 on: February 19, 2012, 11:04:43 pm »
Matt it's nothing to do with the rotor it's the caliper that is  on upside down........

From what I gather outright braking power isn't an issue but uneven padwear is because the smaller piston is located lower most on the caliper.

So does flipping the caliper solve it or is it crap full stop?  I can't see how flipping it would lose braking power and it should solve the uneven wesr rates, but then I dont know much about brake piston design lol
The vwr logo is a sticker  :signLOL: it was http://www.caparoapbraking.com/ who made the brakes and I thought made the discs

That is exactly what I was told on frida.  Id also remove the sticker.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:08:10 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: February 19, 2012, 11:06:53 pm »
It was all made in house dave they had my car for it ie I  dropped my with them and they used it to design the brakes around the Pesci wheels and the pro race that I had on the car

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #264 on: February 19, 2012, 11:26:32 pm »
It was all made in house dave they had my car for it ie I  dropped my with them and they used it to design the brakes around the Pesci wheels and the pro race that I had on the car

Is yours the same kit as Steve's?  Only ask as maybe he has a race spec kit on there as it was the demo car

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: February 19, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »

Mine is the race kit as it was off a race car like I posted earlier today so the seals are changed on the race spec ones so I am told by Simon And matt and I think the ones on the vwr old car were the road spec ones but I am not sure only Steve will know this
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:33:30 pm by MAT ED30 »

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: February 19, 2012, 11:36:17 pm »
I recall Matt very well.

Whilst not a bad kit, I've never been a fan of them testing it on their customers or the fact that you were buying the VwR logo for an additional £800.

Lets face it if Caparo were selling it branded by themselves they'd struggle to achieve much more than a grand for it in much the same way Forge struggled to sell there brakes for not much more than that

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #267 on: February 19, 2012, 11:47:33 pm »
They have sold loads of these brakes both in the uk and world wide so I am sure with all the feedback from us lot on this site and others with the bakes it should help solve things.

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: February 19, 2012, 11:50:06 pm »

Mine is the race kit as it was off a race car like I posted earlier today so the seals are changed on the race spec ones so I am told by Simon And matt and I think the ones on the vwr old car were the road spec ones but I am not sure only Steve will know this

Matt

Very unlikely the seals are different for the "race" version probably Hype, there may be a version without dust seals, its braking 101 there's little point putting mega capable fluid seals on calipers with dust seals, they'll melt before you need the extra capacity of " race seals"

Besides you don't need them this side of carbon....and I don't mean ceramics

Theres been a lot if hype and "marketing" over this kit, it is what its. Next gen stoppers it ain't.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #269 on: February 20, 2012, 07:21:59 am »

Is yours the same kit as Steve's?  Only ask as maybe he has a race spec kit on there as it was the demo car

There is only one version and mine where not the original demo ones but brand new production versions fitted last May when I bought the car.