Make a donation

Author Topic: expert advice needed please  (Read 1912 times)

Offline ali

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
expert advice needed please
« on: April 03, 2018, 12:58:29 pm »
hi i bought an 07 gti last week just had the cam belt and service done as far as i can tell she runs and sounds fine it is totally original no mods at all,  has part service history and 113k on clock.    I have been advised to change the cam follower  o ring  (whatever that is)  fuel filter and maybe the cam chain   dv  and air filter..  obviously this will cost quite a bit in a garage but was wondering if it is right that i will need to change these things to be on the safe side as dont want anything breaking..   the chain has never been replaced what i can tell from the service book
thanks

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: expert advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 01:28:02 pm »
In short, yes to all those bar the cam chain unless it's very audiable (i.e. rattling and making excessive noise). Head over to the how-to guides for all the information you'll ever need:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52731.0.html

And welcome along. :happy2:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 01:51:47 pm »
Cam follower with the O ring is about £45 all in from TPS and the Rev G Dv is a similar price. They are easy enough to do at home and shouldn’t take too long to do.

Offline ali

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 01:56:22 pm »
thanks for these replys    i am thinking about getting the stage 1 map   which air intake filter will i require or is the standard one fine.   if dont need the chain doing will i need to do the chain tensioners 

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 02:38:27 pm »
Air filters - For stage 1 a stock one is OK, a decent panel filter will help low end torque which is better for driving around town. If you're after more power up the rev range then get a cold air intake kit instead.

You won't be able to do the chain tensions without doing the whole system, so if you want to do it for peace of mind then renew everything.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline ali

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 03:12:27 pm »
cam belt done   water pump done   service done
getting done monday  Rev G  DV,   cam follower and o ring,  fuel filter,   new battery   and checking the chain as no noise etc from it at the moment.    At higher (4) 4 rmp car picks up great but under 4k not so good  any ideas how to improve low end low revs speed please

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 03:33:24 pm »
Get the new Dv fitted first and then see how it is.
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 08:26:39 pm »
The "cam follower o-ring" doesn't exist. Perhaps the person saying that originally meant cam follower and hpfp o-ring. When the hpfp is removed to replace the cam follower...there is an o-ring about the base of the hpfp where it goes into the cam chain tensioner cover. However, it isn't necessary to replace the o-ring unless you see oil seeping from the "hpfp to tensioner cover" connection.

Yes, the cam chain and tensioner aren't necessary until you hear a louder slapping inside the rear of the engine. When having to do those, you might as well replace the rings, these; https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/camshaft-adjuster-housing-seal-set/06f198107a/?gclid=CjwKEAjw5pKtBRCqpfPK5qXatWYSJABi5kTxAEu3Fro_PDcaoBk1JN-5rCM1m1FuG671w5eFAzatuRoCb3Pw_wcB, vacuum pump, and the N205...don't forget to clean the strainer screen at that time when doing the chain and tensioner.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:30:35 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:34:59 pm »
Didn't mention your transmission, so if DSG, the fluid and filter needs service every 40k miles. The timing belt and water pump are at 80k miles iirc. I do mine at 60k miles. But most important is the cam follower as they are usually worn through by 120k miles.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ali

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 10:44:04 am »
thanks for all the advice,   it is the manual version not dsg
it does have gas conversion hid lights but they are playing up flashing  going on off etc and personally dont like driving with them at night so am taking them out and reverting back to the standard ones. 

Offline ali

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:05:08 am »
couple of other ones also please,   at the moment i am returning around 26  27 mpg  but dont do long trip is this about right.   car is totally standard no mods .     Also i am looking to get a new head unit was thinking the golf one with sat nav forgot the number think its rns510 or something like that.    will this be a standard fit or do i have to buy gps and dab ariel