Make a donation

Author Topic: Went looking for a GTI but came home with a GT TDI...  (Read 1615 times)

Offline mcscoobs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Went looking for a GTI but came home with a GT TDI...
« on: May 31, 2018, 12:01:15 pm »
So i joined the forum recently, as I was initially looking for a Mk5 Gti. However, what with doing 30k a year and a missus on my case, I decided to opt for a more sensible car, and took the plunge with a 170bhp Golf GT Sport TDI. Its a 2008 57 plate, full service history, 2 lady owners, very clean example, so am looking forward to my first foray into the Golf scene! Am well aware of the common DPF issues, but I do 100 miles a day, mainly motorways, so hoping I don't fall victim to this...

That being said, I do want to make some subtle mods. Looking for a cheeky remap to push it beyond the 200bhp mark. The car is completely standard. So I have a few questions...

1) Where shall i get the remap done? A friend of mine says it should definitely be a Revo remap. (I'm based in Essex by the way).
2) Before the remap, should I modify anything else? Air filter for example? If so, whats a good choice?
3) What are any other popular mods for this model of golf? Couldn't find anything on here specific to the GT TDIs...

Thanks in advance!

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 17
Re: Went looking for a GTI but came home with a GT TDI...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 10:49:15 am »
i think amd essex does revo remaps
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 12:48:01 pm »
Congratz with your new TDI mate:)

I'm also a fellow diesel member..

I would consider to replace your clutch if doing a remap.. Of curse only if this is the stock clutch the car was born with from factory. Maybe also consider to change your gearbox fluid while at it :)

Don't think you need to upgrade anything else if you goal is only around 200-220bhp. Don't waste money, time and in the long run your engine for those cheap remaps that promise alot of bhp! A great remap is alot more than just the power increase!  :drinking:

I'm running currenctly running the 2.0tdi 16v BKD engine with Audi S3 Darkside intercooler and Darkside hardpipe kit and a remap that makes around 190bhp.

Also having another engine rebuild ready to be installed as full big spec build - you can see this in my build thread.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:50:22 pm by Christiank »
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline mcscoobs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 03:52:28 pm »
I checked with Revo, they confirmed don't do a remap for my engine :(. I've been recommended a shark remap at  http://www.awtuning.co.uk/ so might get it booked in there.

@ Christian - replace the clutch for a new standard one you mean? I'll check out your build, thanks!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 05:22:06 pm »
Also check my gttdi build thread...Personally I would just lower it and a remapp..Try dark side or narco

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 07:24:46 pm »
Would just change it for a new stock clutch yes, since your new remap on stock engine isn't going to give you that big of increase in torque so that you have to find a race clutch... Perhaps a duel mass if yours already isn't.

Darkside would be able to make a nice map for you car without a doubt… Could be an exspensive visit though :) All their nice parts for diesel cars  :pomppomp: :pomppomp:

And as Andy wrote, I would also lower it... I had mine lowered from VW since it had the sport packpage that also included a lowering. bought myself the Bilstein B12 sportline kit with new dampers and Eibach springs -  the car sit so nice on this setup
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 09:45:27 pm »
Mine was on stock clutch running 220bhp on a hybrid turbo

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 01:52:24 am »
Hey,

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a diesel driver with a 170 that's been remapped.

Only other mod I would suggest is the powerflex gearbox mount insert (info on page nine of my build thread) as that made a really big odds on mine to tighten everything up and reduced engine movement a lot on acceleration.

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 08:35:29 am »
I've done plenty of modding to my 1.9 TDI BLS engine that's currently my wife's car. Tuning diesel is easy compared with petrol. No need to change the air filter or the intercooler for that level of tune. A DPF delete would get your closer to 220 bhp, but 200 bhp is safely achieved with it fitted on your engine. You can check the link of my diesel on my signature. :smiley: