Make a donation

Author Topic: How-To Improve an Evoms Engine Cover....  (Read 33037 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: How-To Improve an Evoms Engine Cover....
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 06:50:37 pm »
Nicely done Robin well done  :congrats:

I especially like the way it looks with the CF center strip.

....Cheers! I think the Evoms looks very plain and utility without a centre strip and of course a CF strip does suit it very well. Plus it was so expensive I was wanting to still use it!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 08:07:43 pm »
fair play Robin thats a fine job  :happy2:
For me personally the CF insert doesnt quite gel with the cover now, but thats just a personal opinion.
Otherwise I agree looks much better with a cover  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 11:19:09 pm »
That does look fantastic!  :congrats:

The only problem being I now want one which means the list gets that little bit longer!  :ashamed:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 08:15:04 am »
^^^^
Glad you like it, Nath  :happy2:. One of the other guys here (singh?) has the Evoms fitted with an ITG, so it will work. Or.. Do a NeilM-style customisation.

Btw, although it's not that important, the oem cover is considerably heavier than the Evoms.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 08:19:36 am »
Thinking more about the cable protection comments from the 'heli workers', they make a very valid point and it applies to everyone with an Evoms cover whether modified like mine or not. I'm surprised that Evoms haven't catered for the possibility.

Out of interest it would be good to hear from others who have the Evoms cover fitted.

Offline Mackie1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 03:20:52 pm »
Lovely job Robin.  :congrats: I too have an EVOMS cover fitted and your "quick release" idea certainly seems like a good one and is someting which i never considered. I personally think the EVOMS cover undoubtedly needs a centre strip, if only to make it more aesthetically pleasing (and your CF centre strip looks sweet!! :drool:). How did you attach yours in the end...with silicone or something else? I painted my cover gloss black and brought the EVOMS lettering up with a bit of wire wool before laquering which i think looks pretty good.  :smiley:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:24:00 pm by Mackie1 »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 04:47:37 pm »
Hi Mackie!

I wanted to take the 'quick-release' solution a bit further by using a stainless steel wing-nut plus rubber washer but the nut's wings don't have enough room to clear the base of the engine bracket.

Yes, I'm convinced that Evoms have designed their cover to take the centre strip but just haven't provided a way to attach it. Because my carbon strip has bendy tabs I drilled holes for them so the strip could be removed and applied elsewhere in the future (such as my bedroom wall). I didn't want cut them off or over stress the bends.

I like what you've done for your engine bay - It follows your theme and you are also running the Evoms intake.

How do you cope with that engine bracket fixing? Bolt in from the left or right?

Offline Mackie1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 11:09:20 am »
Hi Mackie!

I wanted to take the 'quick-release' solution a bit further by using a stainless steel wing-nut plus rubber washer but the nut's wings don't have enough room to clear the base of the engine bracket.

Yes, I'm convinced that Evoms have designed their cover to take the centre strip but just haven't provided a way to attach it. Because my carbon strip has bendy tabs I drilled holes for them so the strip could be removed and applied elsewhere in the future (such as my bedroom wall). I didn't want cut them off or over stress the bends.

I like what you've done for your engine bay - It follows your theme and you are also running the Evoms intake.

How do you cope with that engine bracket fixing? Bolt in from the left or right?

Cheers Robin. Re. the engine bracket fixing thankfully i havnt needed to take my engine cover off other than when the car is due in for servicing (partly because i know its a pain in the a**e to do so!!) and my mechanical knowedledge is pretty limited anyway but i think it bolts in from the left (my mate OTTIS could tell you!! :laugh:):ashamed:

I had looked at an Osir CF centre strip at one time but just couldnt justify the cost. They do look awesome though and i might convince myself that i need one in my life over the next few weeks!  :rolleye:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 12:53:24 pm »

Cheers Robin. Re. the engine bracket fixing thankfully i havnt needed to take my engine cover off other than when the car is due in for servicing (partly because i know its a pain in the a**e to do so!!) and my mechanical knowedledge is pretty limited anyway but i think it bolts in from the left (my mate OTTIS could tell you!! :laugh:):ashamed:

I had looked at an Osir CF centre strip at one time but just couldnt justify the cost. They do look awesome though and i might convince myself that i need one in my life over the next few weeks!  :rolleye:

....I think I had just shelled out for an OSIR carbon bonnet when Justin at TTshop grinned wickedly at me and said he had something else I needed in my life. As I know him well enough, after first gasping in lust at the carbon centre strip, I told him: "Fukk Off!!" But then a few weeks later I asked him if he still had it and he sweetened the deal by getting me the blue&white enamelled VW badge for it.

I reckon that whichever way the Evoms cover bolts, it's more than a pain in the butt to get one's fingers in underneath to hold the bolt or nut from dropping out and disappearing in the depths below. Hence my magic glue.

I'd be interested to hear how your mate OTTIS manages it, or anyone else.

Good Luck when you need to do it! Or is there a trick I don't know about?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:55:07 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Mackie1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 03:10:09 pm »
Cheers Robin. I'll get OTTIS to pm you :happy2: Also, forgot to mention that the enameled badge on the centre strip look the business :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 05:35:57 pm »
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Heli workers gillm and stokey were right! After only about 50 miles my return hose is through to the blue!

[EDIT: I've just noticed from an earlier photo that the blue was already there - It must be wear from the oem engine cover. Needs precautionary measures anyway].

A massive thankyou for the heads-up, guys  :drinking:

Okay, this can be solved with some protection but I'm wondering about others having the same potential problem with their Evoms covers. The return hose isn't very flexible and can rub on the Evoms cover's aperture metal edge regardless whether an 'O' or modified to a 'U'.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:14:03 pm by RedRobin »

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 09:52:45 am »
just posted the bits off to you mate . sorry for the delay i got home last night and fell asleep
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 09:53:06 am »
posted
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline illektronik

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 09:29:40 am »
So nice RR. Torn between modifying the OEM and he Evoms. Lots of inspiration though.