Make a donation

Author Topic: Alloy cleaner  (Read 2564 times)

Ifti

Alloy cleaner
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:28:24 pm »
I need some good stuff to spray onto my alloys and dislodge all the road salt/brake dust, and the rest of the crap on them!! The car is pretty heavily caked in crap over the winter period and I'm preparing to give it a good clean this week. Just missing some stuff to clean the wheels.

I have the odd kerb mark, and 1 scrape on 1 alloy (getting them all refurbed and coloured in the spring  :happy2: ), so I need something that wont cause any extra damage etc to these areas?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Alloy cleaner
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:34:50 pm »

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:57:32 pm »
A good wheel brush & pleanty of hot soapy water should do it.If it's really bad then one of the wheel cleaning kits should help.If you can get the wheels off & clean them that way.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:00:12 pm »
A good wheel brush & pleanty of hot soapy water should do it.If it's really bad then one of the wheel cleaning kits should help.If you can get the wheels off & clean them that way.

Was going to say that but it appears he has some ground in brake dust he needs to shift. As my wheels are cleaned at least weekly and are waxed every other week I never need anything other than warm soapy water!  :happy2:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:31:08 pm »

Was going to say that but it appears he has some ground in brake dust he needs to shift. As my wheels are cleaned at least weekly and are waxed every other week I never need anything other than warm soapy water!  :happy2:
......... :happy2:  :grin: same here.Over the winter even if the body work didn't get washed the alloys were at least once a week.  :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline alex_chung

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:14:48 pm »
Yep Bilberry and a good alloy wheel brush should do the trick. If you really want you can try claying your alloys too before applying some wax on them.
Alex

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:17:15 pm »
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Ifti

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 05:56:20 pm »
Hmmm, really need to start cleaning my wheels more often now!

Would this brush do:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALLOY-WHEEL-BRUSH_W0QQitemZ370329173028QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item563956bc24

or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monza-Alloy-Wheel-Cleaning-Brush-meguiars_W0QQitemZ150412334441QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2305461569

Im guessing one is the same as the other when it comes to alloy wheel brushes?? Obviously dont want any scratches etc left behind!

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:11:05 pm »
The trouble with those type of brushes is the wire that the brush brissles are on , if the brissles part and it touches your alloys it marks them.
the 2nd brush isnt a meguiars neither. My favourite is the EZ brush you can get them from Autoperfection on here.