Make a donation

Author Topic: Pressure washer tips....  (Read 2242 times)

Ifti

Pressure washer tips....
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:45:19 pm »
As sad as it may seem, I havent used a pressure washer before, but Ive just purchased my first ever Karcher pressure washer, and a foam lance from autoperfection.
I need to know how to us ethis stuff!

1. Are there any specific settings I should keep the pressure washer on for washing the car?
2. How far away should the nozzle of the pressure washer be from the car when cleaning?
3. Is it true that you should not get any of the high pressure water onto the tyres, as it could damage the tyre structure?
4. When using the snow foam, how long should I leave it on for?
5. After snow foaming and rinsing off, I intend to give the car a contact wash - should I switch the power to the pressure washer off during this time, as I hear you should not leave it unused but still running for long periods?
6. After using the pressure washer, is there a particular way to switch it all off? ie. should I turn the water tap off first, then switch it off from the mains, or the other way round?

I guess I should get the pressure washer instructions out of the box, but just thought you guys may be able to offer some tips etc....

Thanks in advance.

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Pressure washer tips....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:29:24 pm »
As sad as it may seem, I havent used a pressure washer before, but Ive just purchased my first ever Karcher pressure washer, and a foam lance from autoperfection.
I need to know how to us ethis stuff!

1. Are there any specific settings I should keep the pressure washer on for washing the car?
Unsure of what settings you mean my Karcher just has 0 and 1. Obviously keep it on 1. If yours have different ones im unsure.
2. How far away should the nozzle of the pressure washer be from the car when cleaning?
You dont want to get close to the paint. Keep a distance.
3. Is it true that you should not get any of the high pressure water onto the tyres, as it could damage the tyre structure?
Never heard of this and I have never had a problem.
Around 5 mins
5. After snow foaming and rinsing off, I intend to give the car a contact wash - should I switch the power to the pressure washer off during this time, as I hear you should not leave it unused but still running for long periods?
If it is a new one I would think it would have an auto cut off (mine does and it is 3 years old)
6. After using the pressure washer, is there a particular way to switch it all off? ie. should I turn the water tap off first, then switch it off from the mains, or the other way round?
I turn switch off on PW, turn tap off, squeeze trigger to release the pressure and excess water from the tap and put it away.
I guess I should get the pressure washer instructions out of the box, but just thought you guys may be able to offer some tips etc....

Thanks in advance.
:happy2:

Offline gonegolfing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:28:29 am »
One small tip-take great care to protect it from frost during cold weather!.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 04:51:35 pm »
I'd imagine the lowest pressure required to clean the car. It's what I use.

About 30-50cm at the very least. I also tend to aim at an angle rather than square on.

Don't know about this. You are bombarding the surface with water at a high pressure so it has the potential to cause damage but as said above, I use a lower pressure and aim at an angle rather than close up and dead-on - it reduces the amount of pressure exerted on the car.

5 mins or so should be enough. You can always refoam after rinsing if you need to.

What's a contact wash? I would just turn the thing off if I wasn't going use it in the next five minutes.

Your manual will tell you about this. It's why it's enclosed with the equipment!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 04:55:44 pm »

What's a contact wash? I would just turn the thing off if I wasn't going use it in the next five minutes.

I assume using a mitt as opposed to just using the snow foam which has no contact on the paintwork.

Ifti

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:24:58 pm »
Sorry, by contact wash I meant using a mitt once all the grit etc was off of the car.

Anyways, a few hours later and this is what Im left with......not perfect, but its the best I can do!

Also I noticed that some asswipe has dinged my driver side rear door. Not hugely noticable, but its gonna bug me now! I try to park as far away from these pratts as I can and still I get one!!

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 06:39:27 pm »
Looks very clean!  :congrats:

I know exactly what you mean about the ding on your door. I parked at the very back of the i max car park (ages away from the entrance to the annoyance of the passengers  :laugh:). When I come back and a BMW X5 has decided to park, like a donut, right next to my car nearly in my space. There were a row of 7 or 8 space next to him! I checked mine over but it was dark. (No doubt when I wash it I will find a mark knowing my luck! :sad:) I hate them!  :angry015:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 10:05:46 pm »
Just be careful not to bring the pressure washer too close to the alloys...

As I found out to my bitter experience, the water pressure can literally strip off paint near chipped paintwork!!!

Ifti

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:48:20 pm »
Damn weather.
Took the car out today and it bloody chucked it down with rain! Havent seen it rain so much in ages!
Typical!

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: Pressure washer tips...
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 09:17:55 am »
Just checked out this thread . Wow nice and clean I do love the grey!!
Nice one ifti
and thanks for all the tips guys.pressure washr on my list of things to buy.
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Ifti

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 12:46:40 pm »
Im not too convinced with snow foam though - I dunno, it was nice and thick and stuck to the car fine etc but didnt seem to shift too much. Maybe I needed to leave it on longer, but I wasnt too impressed........