Make a donation

Author Topic: Lifting the Golf on a workshop Pillar lift  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Lifting the Golf on a workshop Pillar lift
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:03:07 am »
He guy’s hope you can help with a little problem I’m having on the old girl. First a little background.

My nephew recently started up his own business near me, “Tuning Developments” which caters for the Japanese tuning market (yes I am that old  :P ). Whilst most of his cliental are owners of Evos, Scooby’s, Nissan SX’s, Supra’s, etc. etc, he still needs the day to day “mundane” work. To that end,  he agreed to look at my 2005 Golf soot chucker in preparation for its upcoming MOT.

The only thing he could find was that the front console bushes (the rear wishbone units) had started to crack quite badly, and were allowing a little movement. He said this could be a “possible” MOT failure. He also advised not to go with a stock replacement, but instead to with the WALK kit (which the Jap tuning scene know all about and love). I also know quite a few of you guys wholeheartedly agree ?

As I’m family and assisted him with the set up of the company, he’s doing the job for me very cheap. He will purchase the WALK kit at trade and a friend of his that runs a business with a hunter 4 wheel alignment set up with do that part. Total cost will be under £200.

Sorry for the babble, but the problem is he struggled to get the Golf lifted on his pillar lift. It’s one of those units with 4 pivoting arms with lift pads at either end. Problem seems to be that the arms won’t fit under the Golf sill strengthening plates. With the arms retracted so that just fit under the car, we can’t get the arms to pivot enough outwards without one of them hitting a wheel. So for instance, we can get one arm under the front sill lift point, but the back arm hits the wheel and so won’t swivel out any further. It’s almost as if the Golf’s wheelbase is too short.

He’s had all sorts of cars up on the lift since he started but never a Golf, and we find it strange that we can’t’ get it under properly.  Is there anywhere else inboard of the sill lift points that the car can be safely lifted? We don’t want to lift on the plastic under coating in case we damage either the plastic or more importantly damage something underneath (a brake or fuel line for instance).

It’s a really strange problem which I know there must be a solution to ? He can always do the work on a standard trolley jack, but it kinda defeats the purpose of having a fully equipped workshop lift !

Any advice, most gratefully received.

Cheers

Andrew

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Lifting the Golf on a workshop Pillar lift
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:10:44 pm »
Mine has been up on pillar lifts plenty of times and the pads are always placed on the jacking points on the sills. Never had any problems with getting mine on one!
Golf R gone.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 12:44:55 pm »
My 2 post ramp at work is fairly old and has this problem.I put the front arms under the jacking points of the car and the rear arms with the pads on are half way down the arm of the ramp,i put chocks of wood on the arms,then position them under the rear jacking points

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:06:10 pm »
My 2 post ramp at work is fairly old and has this problem.I put the front arms under the jacking points of the car and the rear arms with the pads on are half way down the arm of the ramp,i put chocks of wood on the arms,then position them under the rear jacking points

Ah, good idea Maxitrol, hadn't thought of that. Will give it a try  :congrats:

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr