Make a donation

Author Topic: 2004 mk5 gti coolant dropped  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Andy89

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
2004 mk5 gti coolant dropped
« on: May 20, 2019, 07:55:40 pm »
Hello everyone

I have a 2004 mk 5 gti, today while leaving a supermarket car park I looked down to see the temperature gauge had suddenly gone through the ceiling, to be Followed few seconds later by a warning on the dash “ stop immediately check coolant”. So I straight away pulled into a car park with steam flowing from under the bonnet. Jumped out an popped the bonnet, to find the coolant vigorously bubbling in the resivour. Then as I’m standing there the full lot evacuated itself onto the floor by my feet . I have not tried to start the car since and have towed it home. The car had plenty of coolant in it at the time and oil. I have not noticed the car running hot leading up to this it just seemed  to happen suddenly today.

Any ideas what could of caused this to happen?? My friend who is pretty capable with cars suspects it could be a water pump failure or coolant thermostat. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks Andy davies

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: 2004 mk5 gti coolant dropped
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 10:56:33 am »
electric cooling fan not working?

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 12:03:04 pm »
electric cooling fan not working?

If he'd be in the shop some time and saw the steam as soon as he drove off would the coolant be so hot it turned to steam so soon after starting the car?

I'm going for split hose.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 02:33:15 pm »
Get the coolant system pressure tested for leaks... as it sounds like a leak and sucking  air in! fix and repair where needed! top up and see how it goes. If still bubbling and steaming, then more than likely an air lock and / or water pump failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Andy89

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 04:58:46 pm »
Thanks lads for taking the time to give me some advice much appreciated. Garage down the road are having a look at it now, il post on here what the outcome is, fingers crossed it’s just a hose, but I’ve just got a sneaking feeling it may be the water pump. As for probably 2 weeks before I was starting to get a slight belt chirping noise. Was also just wondering what you recommend for future proofing a high mileage example??? It’s a 2004 97000 miles , no mods at all. I’ve read things about cam followers??? Any recommendations??? Things likely to fail??

Offline Andy89

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 06:10:35 pm »
Just got a call from the garage, there saying the cooling fan control module has gone, an that they can’t find a problem with the cooling system itself.

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 Passat SEL estate. 2.0 FSI T.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 07:23:16 pm »
That sounds just the same as what happened to us yesterday.

I had a small local garage change the inline thermostat, down between the radiator and engine, it was ages ago.
We set off early but only got half a mile and the coolant warning came on. Got back home ASAP and when I had a look, the inline 'stat had come adrift from the hose, the clip was not on at all. A bit of a struggle and a skinned knuckle later and we were back on our way. I had to add a bit of water during the day but it seems fine now.

Strange how yours showed up the way it did just after setting off and it turned out to be the fan. You would have thought a fan problem would show up after sitting in traffic.