Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
Re: Edition 30
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 07:46:56 pm »
Hmmm, not feeling that Oettinger make over!

I agree that ED30s are a bit over-rated.  It's just some colour coding and a different engine, seats and wheels.  Not sure I would have stumped up the extra for that over a GTI when new tbh.

Me neither, I think that body kit could put some people off. If you are going to sell it I'd put it back to standard if you've still got the bits and sell the kit separately. The thing really bothers me with kits like that is that sourcing replacements in case of damage is likely to be difficult and probably more expensive than even the genuine VW bits.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 08:14:32 pm »
I don’t recall any of the media reviews back in the day considering the ED30 to offer any meaningful  improvement over the normal GTi. 10% extra power further up the rev range and some styling tweaks. No change to suspension / brakes / seats. Is a marketing department makeover and the standard car remains plenty good. Whilst the k04 engine is better for tuning, the fact remains that the traction limitations of fwd chassis remain unchanged.

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 10:28:52 am »
Do you have a price in mind?
 - and details so that a value can be determined ;-)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 12:59:01 pm »
I don’t recall any of the media reviews back in the day considering the ED30 to offer any meaningful  improvement over the normal GTi. 10% extra power further up the rev range and some styling tweaks. No change to suspension / brakes / seats. Is a marketing department makeover and the standard car remains plenty good. Whilst the k04 engine is better for tuning, the fact remains that the traction limitations of fwd chassis remain unchanged.

Not even a bigger intercooler for the K04 engine!   It really is weird how VW went to the trouble and expense of making a separate K04 engine for the ED30 when that extra 10% power could have come from software tuning of the K03 engine.  I guess VW engineers expected and silently encouraged people to tune the ED30 into 300+hp beast  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D