Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Lurch and Dealers  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
Re: DSG Lurch and Dealers
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 09:15:35 pm »
My car has only done 25k it has broken down 3 times since December with the same gearbox fault every time. You either cannot get out of park or you put in drive and the engine revs like it is in neutral. In both cases the gear display on the MFC just flashes continuously and you cannot get the key out. The VW dealer has just fitted a new gearbox control unit. The first time the fault had vanished by the time it was recovered to the dealer and they said it was because the battery was low. No engine management light was on. The second time the car again cured itself by the time it got to the dealer but engine management light was on. This time they changed the gear stick assy. which they had just changed because the gearstick gaiter was broken. The third time again the car cured itself by the time it got to the dealer but engine management light was on and this time they changed the gearbox control unit. Hopefully this will be the end of it. Luckily the car was under a VW extended warranty. Do you think they would have had to change the gearbox oil change when they changed the control unit?

Ouch  :surprised:  I'm surprised mine ain't broken down yet  :scared:
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 09:16:16 pm »

And all DSG cars dont jerk from standstill.  :stupid:

Not all    :P

I do sometimes get a bouce forward if i'm selecting reverse and drive quickly,
[/quote]

I think thats just moving before it has selected the chosen gear. It should be silky smooth in normal driving conditions. Trust me you would know if you had the mechatronics fault.  :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 09:55:40 pm »
I was looking at the DSG tsi's. Would it be a lot of hassle buying a used golf with DSG for the above reasons?

Offline Robert74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 10:01:06 pm »
I have never had a problem with the DSG lurching just sometimes it decided not to work! The rest of the time it seemed to work fine.
2006 GTI 5 door DSG

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 10:02:48 pm »
My car has only done 25k it has broken down 3 times since December with the same gearbox fault every time. You either cannot get out of park or you put in drive and the engine revs like it is in neutral. In both cases the gear display on the MFC just flashes continuously and you cannot get the key out. The VW dealer has just fitted a new gearbox control unit. The first time the fault had vanished by the time it was recovered to the dealer and they said it was because the battery was low. No engine management light was on. The second time the car again cured itself by the time it got to the dealer but engine management light was on. This time they changed the gear stick assy. which they had just changed because the gearstick gaiter was broken. The third time again the car cured itself by the time it got to the dealer but engine management light was on and this time they changed the gearbox control unit. Hopefully this will be the end of it. Luckily the car was under a VW extended warranty.
 Do you think they would have had to change the gearbox oil change when they changed the control unit?

They should have given you a job sheet or you can request one, this will tell you if they changed the oil.  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 10:05:19 pm »
I was looking at the DSG tsi's. Would it be a lot of hassle buying a used golf with DSG for the above reasons?

The Mechatronics failures normally show themselves early on in the cars life. so as long as you buy one with warranty Ollie you should be fine.  :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »

The Mechatronics failures normally show themselves early on in the cars life. so as long as you buy one with warranty Ollie you should be fine.  :happy2:

Cheers TC.  :happy2:
 I am moving closer and closer to DSG. Just watched a std manual vs std DSG and it was quicker. Also I sit in a lot of traffic DSG would be easier. In fact I cannot see any downsides. Do you miss manual? People say you lost the 'feel' of driving the car?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 10:30:29 pm »

I am moving closer and closer to DSG. Just watched a std manual vs std DSG and it was quicker. Also I sit in a lot of traffic DSG would be easier. In fact I cannot see any downsides. Do you miss manual? People say you lost the 'feel' of driving the car?

You can have a go of mine Pal at one of the meets in the summer,  :happy2: they are great fun and the sound of the gear change is worth the swap alone. Its personal choice but you dont find many people going back to manual boxes.  :smiley:

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 10:32:32 pm »
Olli,

I had a manual and the DSG is an amazing experience - it truely is

I hate to go back to a manual  :signLOL:
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 10:50:22 pm »

You can have a go of mine Pal at one of the meets in the summer,  :happy2: they are great fun and the sound of the gear change is worth the swap alone. Its personal choice but you dont find many people going back to manual boxes.  :smiley:

That would be great TC.  :happy2:
I think I would prefer a DSG. I think maybe the people who say it loses the feel of the drive havent even tried it. Here is that video I was on about:

Olli,

I had a manual and the DSG is an amazing experience - it truely is

I hate to go back to a manual  :signLOL:

Cheers Rich. I think it would be my preferred option too.  :happy2:

Can anyone confirm if the 1.4 TSI sport 140 came with DSG in a 3 dr? I know the 122 was only 5 dr. I would have thought so as it is the sport model?  :confused:
 :happy2:

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 06:01:49 am »
mine when cold lurches in 1st....i really cba with taking it to a dealers so waiting for my service and they can sort it then as the service also includes my dsg oil change.

Offline TOONARMY

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 06:13:39 am »
Volkswagen will take into consideration the remapping of the car and DSG. The technicians need to figure out if the fault is due to the mapp, or if it is unrelated. If it is unrelated, then it should be coverd under warranty.

toon

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 12:19:34 pm »
Mine is only lurching forward on the odd occasion.

If VW get back to me saying the odd lurch from the dsg is due to the remap and therefore im not covered under warranty, then like rich says the odd lurch every now and again i can live with.

Describing the lurch is strange because it seems to depend on how quickly you put your foot on the throttle. Its like on the odd occasion after coming off the brake the dsg has gone to sleep and putting your foot on the throttle makes it jump and wake back up.

On another note, I still struggle to understand how a remap can be related to a failing mechatronic unit. If the clutch is slipping then yes, but coming off the brake and putting foot on the throttle is hardly using the extra power gained from a remap. But of course the extra torque stresses it more through the gears.

Anway even so i still love dsg  :signLOL:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 01:14:33 pm »
VW changed the map on my DSG and reset it (I believe the home VCDS user can do this too) and it stopped its quirk of very occasionally lurching. By this I mean a 1 second pause on start off and then a big thud of delivery causing it to buck.

If you're just getting a bit of thunk, I wouldn't discount the old dogbone mount before you convince yourself it is the DSG.

Mine's been through 3 now, each one completely eliminating the thunk through the transmission in low gears that had developed. Fair enough I probably have double the wear rate than a normal owner, but they do go slack and need changing. I just treat them as consumables now.
Sideways yo!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 12:50:33 pm »
When cold I get a slightly less than smooth 1st to second change, this goes away when the engine and I assume gearbox is warmed up, and its mainly when driving very gently.  The cars only done 29k over 5 years does anyone know if the DSG oil needs changing periodically as well as on the 40k mark?

I read somewhere that the flashing gear indicator, has something to do with over-heating, think there was a fairly long and in detail thread with someone having these issues (faulty DSG which kept fixing itself by the time it got to the dealer) over on the uk-mkivs forum.  The final result was a replaced gearbox, half paid for by the customer and half by VW (the car was out of warranty).

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.