Make a donation

Author Topic: Black magic Mk5 GTI track car  (Read 97842 times)

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
Re: Black magic Mk5 GTI
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2012, 04:31:00 pm »
Looks like tons of grip !!

:happy2:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2012, 05:47:07 pm »
Thanks guys. Had to raise the front by about 5mm because It was touching the ramp of my garage very slowly. As you can see, even with the wide fenders, the tires are very close. Hopefully I will have no rubbing issues at both front or rear ! What I also don't like, is the fact that the look around the new fenders seems somehow artificial with the sudden widening of the fenders, while the 2 extremes draw back to meet the bumper and front door (unlike an RS4 for ex wich has wide fenders but also wider front bumper or skirts wich completely cover the wheels for better aesthetics and lower drag. I'm afraid I'll have a lot of drag and lift from the front wheels wich will negate the benefit of the air-dam !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2012, 06:48:02 pm »
Is there any way to widen the bumper?

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2012, 07:12:59 pm »
Yes, with custom work, the bumper and VwR air-dam can be widened by 5-7cm while still matching the line of the fenders !

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2012, 06:42:37 pm »
Back from the Hungaroring track-day wich unfortunately didn't go too well for me. On the way to Budapest, the o-ring of my freshly installed USP motorsports clutch line (octomber last year) gave up so I lost the pressure and my clutch pedal remained down. For the moment I installed another o-ring (similar but not identical) that I found in the closest town to where my car remained on the side of the road. At the track, a friend of mine had a brand new USP clutch line with him so I replaced mine with his in order not to take any chance with the improvised o-ring. Happy that I solved the problem, I went to the track and in the 1st session the OEM plastic T piece on the coolant path broke so I lost all the cooland and until I got out of the track the water pump also ceased and the main engine gasket went so I lost the engine compression. I was really pissed of as a stupid 10Euro plastic piece made me take the car on a platform from Budapest to Bucharest and replace other more expensive parts. I don't know why that piece broke (the plastic got too old since the car has 6 years or it was due to the high temperatures and the boiling water from the last Hungaroring). I wonder if the Forge water kit > http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0017&product=FMKC010 would also replace the plastic part or use it. This is the piece that broke > the big circle is the entire piece and the small circle is where it broke !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2012, 07:12:11 pm »
I'm sorry to hear of your woes. Hopefully it hasn't done other damage and you'll get it back on the street soon Fuscobal  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2012, 09:35:59 pm »
The turbocharger is ok but there are some marks on the cylinder's walls wich imply overheating and pistons rubbing against the walls. Will take out the pistons tomorrow and see if they also need replacement (hopefully not). If I'm lucky I'll just get away with the piston rings, head gasket and other small gaskets !

Following the last unpleasant event, I decided to take the car on a ramp from now and since I'm not driving it on the streets anymore, I removed my entire audio system (including cables) and saved another 33Kg (didn't remove de front door cards wich should bring another 15-20Kg). The count is now 1503-33 = 1470Kg including me and a full tank of gas !

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2012, 10:10:38 pm »
You should consider a Cupra engine instead of rebuilding your AXX Fuscobal  :happy2:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2012, 12:58:39 pm »
Good luck with the engine, Fuscobal!  :happy2:

Still 1470 kg without audio system? I hope to stay below 1400 kg including driver and full tank.

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2012, 04:26:27 pm »
I don't know why is this car so heavy. With the door cards removed I will get to 1450kg wich is still more than what I've seen around. At this point I don't know what else to take out of the car without compromising too much ? (still want the aircon and electric windows)

PS : Why a Cupra engine Danish ?...the difference should be only in the pistons !

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2012, 06:21:08 pm »
I don't know why is this car so heavy. With the door cards removed I will get to 1450kg wich is still more than what I've seen around. At this point I don't know what else to take out of the car without compromising too much ? (still want the aircon and electric windows)

PS : Why a Cupra engine Danish ?...the difference should be only in the pistons !

The Cupra benefits from a better flowing head, the S3 cams, lower compression and stronger rods, i went from the low curve to the higher one by moving to the cupra engine, and i must say it's the best thing i've done (the last year  :grin: )

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:58 pm »
Danish, I've already got forged rods and S3 cams. The lower compression comes from the pistons and if mine are damaged I might as well order forged ones since they cost the same as new OEM ones. What do you mean by better flowing head ?

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2012, 11:40:52 pm »
I don't know if the S3/Cupra head has larger ports (don't believe this),
but it has a different (more heat resistant) alloy though.

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2012, 08:05:32 am »
In the unhappy case of finding marks on the pistons, I will have to change them. As the OEM ones cost about the same as Je pistons, I'm thinking of upgrading them. My OEM compression is 10.5 (highest of all, being my AXX was the first TFSI engine code). Je has CR of 8.5:1, 9.5:1 and 10.25:1 with bore 82.5(OEM), 83 and 83.5. I will not go with 8.5 but wouldn't know what to choose between 9.5 and 10.25 (they also make custom so I'd go a little bit lower but not too low). Also, in terms of bore, should I go 83 just to be sure ? (even if the actual diameter is still closer to 82.5). How does lowering the compression affect everything on this engine ? (updated REVO software ?, engine temps....)

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2012, 08:39:16 am »
the comp. of the cupra 9,8:1 gives more headroom for boost. so i would say the 9,5:1 je pistons would suit your needs Fuscobal  :happy2: