Make a donation

Author Topic: My Black GTI on the slippery slope...  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
Re: My Black GTI on the slippery slope...
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 01:03:00 pm »
Wonder if anyone on here has been down the road of 1.8 S3 to MK5 can give some input. I assume a mapped S3 would be close to a mapped MK5?? Wondering what feels best behind the wheel with the weight of Haldex?
I used to own a mapped 225 S3 (Revo, then AMD remaps, about 260bhp).
The Golf engine certainly feels more lively, but overall I think I still prefer the drive in the old S3. I'm thinking of giving my GTI to my fiance and getting myself another S3 (or maybe even a TT) to play with.

Does the haldex drain much power or is it the extra weight bogging it down? Wonder what they all weigh in at ie MK5 v S3 v TT?

I think the 1.8 Cupra R sounds interesting with 260+ and FWD as an option. The 2 litre FSI seems more torquey low down with the extra displacement.
The weight (1420kg for S3, 1328kg for mk5 GTI), 4x4 and power delivery all play a part. The 225 1.8T has a lot more turbo lag than the new 2.0T. The S3 is faster, but doesn't feel it. If I remember right, the S3 does 0-60 in 6.4s and the GTI does it in 7.2s (claimed on both).
The Golf feels a lot lighter than the S3 but the traction (on my Golf anyway) is rubbish and I find myself longing for another 4x4.
My brother had a 225 TT when I had my S3 and of teh 2, we both agreed that my S3 felt much nicer to drive. It felt quicker and much better in the corners. Both were mapped to around 260bhp.

The Cupra R is an interesting one that I did consider when I moved from Ibiza Cupra to S3, but teh traction is awfuol on that too. Loads of power (if you mod) and it torque steers all over the place.

I wonder if an old S3 with a 2.0T would be a viable option  :grin:

Offline T88OMM

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 04:59:00 pm »
Looks much much better that matey  :drool:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Pablos007

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »
who said anything about swapping, trying to convince the misses she needs a mk5 GTI in her life :laugh:
Doh!! I like your thinking, how could she refuse.....  :wink:

Offline Pablos007

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 08:13:46 pm »
Just wondering did you have an M3 before the golf your name looks like one i remember from M3 cutters  :confused:
Yep, guilty as charged!!

I've run a 1.8T S3 and TT, plus an 2.0T S3 and much prefer the later engine.  The Mk5 GTI has a brilliant chassis as standard and the mods have made it better though my '07 S3 edges it for sheer point-to-point pace and surefootedness (is that a real word?)  :driver:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:17:56 pm by Pablos007 »

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 09:09:03 pm »
Thought it was you, i was reidtastic on m3 cutters, ive had a name chage, i still meet up with the m3 guys back and forth, thats 3 since i left that have bought gtis  :happy2:
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Pablos007

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »
Nice to see you here as well.  Interesting name change!!  :wink:

I've run VAG cars most of my driving career with occasional visits to other manufacturers.  The M3 was my first BMW and although it was a fine motor I never really gelled with it, plus I prefer hatchback sized cars.  Apart from 911's, I haven't yet found another make/model outside of VAG that I really 'get', plus some of my best mates over the years are as a result of this Veedub obsession!!  Long may it continue.....  :happy2:

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 12:00:28 am »
So what's the plans with the motor?

APR Stage 3+ !!

or a stage 1 or  2.

Is there much gain from stage 1 to 2....I assume you need the full DP CAT and zorst plus pump and mapping...quite alot of expense.

I must admit that I fancy another MK5 but I'd like to try a well fettled S3.  Dis they ever a larger DP for it in conjunction with stage 2 mapping?? I saw in Evo that Autograph now fit a larger DP for the 225 TT with uprated injectors claiming 300 bhp !!
I'm a bit sceptical on a K04 TBH.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 07:41:33 pm »
Nice to see you here as well.  Interesting name change!!  :wink:

I've run VAG cars most of my driving career with occasional visits to other manufacturers.  The M3 was my first BMW and although it was a fine motor I never really gelled with it, plus I prefer hatchback sized cars.  Apart from 911's, I haven't yet found another make/model outside of VAG that I really 'get', plus some of my best mates over the years are as a result of this Veedub obsession!!  Long may it continue.....  :happy2:

:smiley: Same here mate, im a VW guy myself, i loved my m3 though and got on really well with it, like yourself though ive always had my golfs, first car was mk2 gti, and wee while ago it was mk4 1.8T which i loved and owned for 4 years, no looking back now, MK5 all the way. :happy2:
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Pablos007

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »
So what's the plans with the motor?
I'm doing stage 1 for now, though will go to stage 2 fairly soon once I've got myself an R32 rear bumper and had an exhaust made at Pipewerx.  The eventual aim is to end up with a K04 stage 2 (ED30 spec) as that's the best all round package for these engines IMHO. I probably should've held out and bought an ED30 but where's the fun in that!!  :wink:

Stage 2 is worth it for me as the motor always feels sharper and more eager when it can breath better, plus with the uprated fuel pump the mid-range is so much stronger.  You drive it more on the torque rather than wringing it's neck!!

No idea on the DP as not been around the APR crew for over 12 months, probably best to catch up with Jim or email Keith at their HQ.  Not a clue about the Autograph figures TBH as I haven't seen Andy & Nick since last year.

Offline Pablos007

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 08:24:39 pm »
Been a little busy since the last update so I haven't got round to any modding business for a while.  To sort this out I headed over to Awesome a few weeks ago to add some power!! They fitted a Carbonio intake and APR RSC exhaust, plus remapped the GTI with APR Stage II software.  I've driven GTIs with this spec before and always been impressed, so I knew it would be good.  It is a really nice package with plenty of torque and a smooth power delivery that has transformed how the the motor goes and sounds!!!  :happy2:

What next?  I'd like to do the K04 conversion and possibly R32 rear end, so I best head off and write my note to Santa!!!