Make a donation

Author Topic: Miglior Detailing Ltd: Golf GTi Pirelli - Major Correction. DEC 2010 Update!  (Read 20479 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Hello there guys.

Thanks for checking out another one of my write ups. Today we have another golf GTI! This time it is a 2008 GTI Pirelli Edition which came to us for a Major Correction Detail and Xenon headlight fitting.

This is Rich's car off this forum, so some might recognise it! ;)

So here is how the car arrived.

It didn't look to bad, not too much bonded on the car. Some swirls and scratches mind.

Before i saw the car, the owner said he wanted me to arrange a repair on one of the front wheels. I assumed he had kerbed the wheel.

When i saw it, it was pretty clear the paint had failed and it wasn't up to the owner to pay for a fix. I suggested he speak to VW and arrange a warranty claim. So i had to tread careful around this area, it seemed the wind could take paint off this wheel.

What tyres do a Pirelli edition golf run?

Some interior shots. Pirelli tread pattern pressed into alcantara on the seats. Looking a lot better than some interiors i have seen!

So now onto the headlight swap. These were to be replaced with genuine VW Xenon headlights, and coded with the car with my diagnostic software.

before

Front Bumper and old lights off

New lights on

All back together.

Now all coded up and running fine.

The colour in that picture isn't a true representation of the light output. they take a few seconds to warm up to the right colour and i think they sent my White balance out on the canon camera!

Now the lights were on, aligned and working perfectly, i started on the detailing work.

Outside for a snow foam and normal wash.

As said before, the car was quite clean on arrival. The wheels were cleaned with bilberry and arches with vikan brushes and super degreaser. All the shuts and fuel filler car were dealt with in the same way

The engine bay was also cleaned with Super degreaser and various brushes.

looking pretty grimy!

Nice soaking

Now rinsed off with pressure washer on a low setting

After the wash stage was finished, and the car was still wet, i rolled it into the unit.

I started claying with sonus fine clay. It was pretty clean already. This is from the bonnet.

After it was clayed it was dried off using my favourite towels and a blow dryer.

Now we had a clean dry car, i could get a better idea of the condition of the paint.

I took measurements from all over the car and didn't spot anything out of the ordinary. The readings were perhaps the most consistent I've ever seen on a golf like this.
 Between 150 and 160 which was a surprise. Its usual to see highs of 160 and lows of 110 on golf of this age.

Some areas of swirling and defects

Evidence of road side hand car washes. Quite a lot of deep straight scratches. Pretty clear to me a aqua blade had been used.
 Some were even traceable by the finger nail. Quite worrying how much damage these things can do.

After thinking i might get away with using something less harsh than FCP and a hard foam pad, i quit messing around.
Even after a hit of FCP and a white gloss it Foam pad, there were still a few marks evident. The bonnet needed two hits of this combo.
Looking much better now!

The other side untouched for comparison. Still finding it hard to photograph defects on silver cars!

I primed the pad with Gloss it EVP pad prime. This gave me slightly less cut as this was the first use after application,
but my work time could be drastically increased due to less heat build up.
It was also used as an effect to reduce dust. Fat chance of that with FCP!

looking much nicer now

Still a few marks left.

As you can see, these aqua blade marks mean business!

I did another pass on these with FCP. This particular one was marked out with the tape

All gone!

There was about 5 or 6 of these marks just on the bonnet!

Onto the other side

Before

After

Front drivers side bonnet.

before

And after some 2 hits, letting the panel cool before starting the next.

Sun gun Check.

I think i spent about two hours just on the bonnet. Anyway, i relieved to finish the bonnet, thinking those aqua blade scratches made it the worst panel.
Oh how wrong was I!

Take a look at the roof!

Noticeably in worse condition. I have a feeling they has been a brush used on this roof!

After two passes of FCP

Rear of the passenger side roof

Onto the next side!

And After

Further down the roof

Before

After

Here are some after of other parts of the car! Mainly off the Sun Gun, and 400w Metal halide Lighting

So now all that the compounding had been done on most of the car (i had left black door trim and lights to do the next day with a less aggressive combo)
i had to sort the dust out on the car!

So outside with the snow foam!

And rinsed off. I love this point of the job. Obviously the car need its paint refining, but getting the dust off with a snow foam and rinse is always a joy.
 You reveal the car in a swirl free bead fest!

So the car was pulled back in the unit and blow dried. This pretty much dried it all, just needed a pat down in the centre of panels.

End of Day two!

The next day, the black door trim was then sorted out. To tackle this i used a Sonus yellow spot pad and 3m Extra fine compound.

Much better! ;)

The lights needed some attention too!

Now sorted

Now the car got a full wipe down with IPA. And i refined all the paintwork with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Pro.

After that, it was ready to dress the car. I also tackled the interior!

The first thing i did was treat the dried out rubbers. Swissvax Seal was used for this

The interior didn't really need a full detail. So i only spent about hour cleaning, hoovering and dressing.
It was more than enough to turn it around to looking new again. The Drivers mat was extracted and hoovered.

The dash was wiped down and dressed with Werkstatt Satin.

With the rest of the dressing still to complete, and time racing on, i didn't manage to photograph it all!

I dressed the arches and engine bay with 303.

The wheels were waxed with Swissvax autobahn and the tyres were treated with Swissvax Pneu

Exhaust was polished with wire wool and Blackfire polish. They were quite a mess!

The car was Sealed using Zaino Z2 then Two Coats of Swissvax Best of show

Here are the after's. I didn't have the opportunity to take as many shots as i would like, but I'm sure there is already enough in here! ;)

Quick shot outside in the 8 AM sun!

Thanks for reading Guys! Time taken: 25 Hours!

Swissvax Detailer Covering Manchester and Lancashire

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:28:31 pm by JPC »

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
 :notworthy:   stunning
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
Thanks for such an amazing right up Jay!!!! :love:
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Nice work Jay.  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Amazing as always Jay, just wish you covered Kent as my car could really do with bringing back to show room condition!

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Top job as always dude! That last shot is awesome  :drool: :drool:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Richi, this is for letting someone use an Aquablade on your car [SLAP]  :grin:

Jay, enjoyed reading that and please make no apologies for posting them, the turnaround is fantastic and does nothing to help my 'need' to have another Reflex Golf in my life!  :notworthy: :notworthy: :congrats:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
thanks guys! ;)

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
wow that looks fantastic. your work is always 100% a real credit to you.

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
simply stunning  :congrats:

Offline stumk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You