Make a donation

Author Topic: anyone test driven a mk7 golf R  (Read 5876 times)

Offline ald1717

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • My Ride: mk5 gti
Re: anyone test driven a mk7 golf R
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2022, 08:17:43 pm »
wouldnt that be down to the 150kg weight reduction if it did?

Offline FatWelshBoy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2022, 08:53:50 pm »
wouldnt that be down to the 150kg weight reduction if it did?

Weight reduction and additional whp. Don't get me wrong the 7R is a very competent car but I'd never class it as a fun car to own. I went for a 7.5R instead of aM140i and massively regret it.

Offline ald1717

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2022, 11:20:41 pm »
just seen a 390 bhp tcr go as fast from 100-200kph just as fast as a 450bhp golf r so there very quick,
but just seems pointless if you cant put the power down in the first 3 gears for b roads,
is the engine in the gti performance the same forged internal one that the r has or are the internals different?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 689
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2022, 11:57:55 am »
Not sure what Pudding was saying about only available in 4 door - unless referring to GTE or newer Mk8 - personally I covet a 3 door in this spec - but agree 4WD would be excessive:

Ah, maybe it was the MK8 they ditched the 3 door shell then.  For some reason I also have it in my mind they also canned the 5 door on very late MK7.5s?

Definitely can get early Rs in s door  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2022, 12:33:58 pm »
Not sure what Pudding was saying about only available in 4 door - unless referring to GTE or newer Mk8 - personally I covet a 3 door in this spec - but agree 4WD would be excessive:

Ah, maybe it was the MK8 they ditched the 3 door shell then.  For some reason I also have it in my mind they also canned the 5 door on very late MK7.5s?

Definitely can get early Rs in s door  :happy2:

I thought they stopped offering the 3dr at the end of the production run too, along with the manual option.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2022, 08:53:42 pm »
regardless of how it drives it looks like such a yawnfest of a car, any performance golf I see when out and about I always have a good look, with the 7R or 7.5R I dont look twice at them, just look like a tdi. 7.5 gti would be my choice if wanting a mk7 or a clubsport.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2022, 08:58:09 am »
I know what you mean.  They do look very generic. As long term GTI enthusiasts, we may not have a choice but to end up in a MK7 due to rusting issues with MK5s, and parts obsoleting in the coming years.  Either that or change to a different brand of car, or sink big cash into keeping our MK5s looking and running nicely.

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2022, 07:42:17 pm »
I quite like the look of the 7 and 7.5 R if they have the Pretoria alloys on, front end needs a lift looks wise though.
Not everyone’s cup of tea granted but we are all different.

Offline ald1717

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2022, 09:02:33 pm »
dont think there will be much difference in steering feel either from the mk7 gti and r as they use the same steering rack, when your running big power you need 4wd or its just wasted, but i agree with the looks needing a bit of a lift, also like the look of the rear diffuser and spoiler upgrades,

Offline GTImike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
  • Back in a Golf - Mk7 R
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2022, 09:57:53 am »
I had a nearly new Mk7 about 4 years ago for about 6 months. It was a 2016/66 plate with 10k miles on it.

It was a manual and I did not gel with it at all, everything felt a bit cheap inside - probably the awful cloth seats. I had it stage 1 tuned with a Burger Motorsports JB4/intake/exhaust and it was pretty quick but the clutch started slipping. Sadly decided enough was enough and traded it in for a new BMW X5.

The Edition 30 DSG I had prior was a far nicer car and one I kept for 8 years.

I've recently bought a 2009 Audi S3 manual for the wife and absolutely love driving it, a far better drive than the Golf R and dare I say, feels the quicker car being Stage 2 tuned and just retro enough to appreciate not having too many driver modes etc.

I'm sure a mk7 with DSG and leather seats would have been a different experience for me.

2008/58 Tornado Red Edition 30 (No. 1853) 5dr DSG - Gone but never forgotten
2017/66 Tornado Red Golf R 5D - Lasted 6 months before being sold on
Still have a TFSI in the family - 2009/59 Audi S3 8P facelift Stage 2 tuned
Oh and a Mk1 Golf GTI cabriolet

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2022, 03:03:22 pm »
MK7 onwards is definitely a cheaply made car for sure, and VW made no effort to hide the fact! Deletion of the gas strut in favour of a 1980s bonnet prop, no brake pad wear sensor on MK8 GTI (just a dummy plug), cheaper materials for rear seat passengers, cheaply made chassis components, flimsy rubber engine cover on the MK8 which is apparently now a fire risk  :grin:  And on and on it goes.  Prices way up, but less in return.....and people still keep buying the damn things in droves  :stupid:

MK6 is without a shadow of a doubt the best made Golf to date.

S3s deliver the goods but dear god are they one of the blandest cars to look at.

Offline ald1717

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 06:11:41 pm »
MK7 onwards is definitely a cheaply made car for sure, and VW made no effort to hide the fact! Deletion of the gas strut in favour of a 1980s bonnet prop, no brake pad wear sensor on MK8 GTI (just a dummy plug), cheaper materials for rear seat passengers, cheaply made chassis components, flimsy rubber engine cover on the MK8 which is apparently now a fire risk  :grin:  And on and on it goes.  Prices way up, but less in return.....and people still keep buying the damn things in droves  :stupid:

MK6 is without a shadow of a doubt the best made Golf to date.

S3s deliver the goods but dear god are they one of the blandest cars to look at.
and drive buy all accounts, all the reviews ive seen which compare the s3, golf r, and focus rs, a45,   ect  all say the same about the s3 its the best built and fast in straight line but light steering and no feel,  and ontop of that terrible understeer, its a shame because if it handled better it could be the perfect all round car,

Offline BarryArrow

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 04:35:36 pm »
I had the chance to drive both a stock and modded Mk7 Golf R, and yeah, it’s a noticeable upgrade from the Mk5. Even stock, the Mk7 feels more refined and quicker off the line. Once tuned, it’s a whole different beast—handles better, more responsive, and the power delivery is smoother.