Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark plug issue miss fire cy 4  (Read 554 times)

Offline NorthWest

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • 2007 GTI
Spark plug issue miss fire cy 4
« on: October 14, 2022, 03:38:47 pm »
Hey lads

So had a miss fire on cy 4 …pulled the plugs and replaced with new oem ones .

How do they look ? The last one is cy 4 which is the only odd one out

Stage 1 map
Any help appreciated !

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Spark plug issue miss fire cy 4
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 08:01:04 pm »
Number 4 plug does show signs of it running rich.

This could've been due to the spark. You would need to remove the new plug after driving it a good number of miles under all driving conditions you normally run it through; and then inspect them all and see if only #4 plug has semi-blackened insulator and partially on its strap.

If so, and only #4 has signs of buildup, then you may consider swapping the #4 plug to another cylinder. You may also at this time, move the #4 coil to another plug separate from where you placed the plug from #4, and drive it as you did before. Inspect all of the plugs again. If the blackness moves to where you placed the coil...then it may just be that coil. If the blackened buildup always remains on the plug in the #4 cylinder...then it may be time to address the injectors by servicing or replacing, and do a leak-down test. The leak-down test may actually be best if done first.

I know this all sounds a bit much, and you may just want to replace coils and injectors, but the buildup may be due to normal wear within cylinder #4....rings or its valve guide and/or seal. These engines tend to get a bit crusty from buildup in the area around the edges of the piston face and piston rings. Not sure if this helps or only makes its future needs more daunting. Hopefully you find it is only a coil that is fading out, or an injector isn't shutting as it should.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Spark plug issue miss fire cy 4
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 11:32:36 am »
Yeah they look typical for an EA113 Turbo engine. White crusties on no.1 is oil burning, but only slight.  Otherwise all good.  As above, no.4 is likely a bad injector (borked spray pattern) or a bad coil.  Injectors going bad on these engines is common unfortunately. They're are usually pretty much done by 100K miles.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D