Make a donation

Author Topic: Who would be interested in a cost effective Brake kit?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Who would be interested in a cost effective Brake kit?
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:40:06 am »
This is just at the first stages at the moment but we will be at the machine shop on tuesday to trial fit all of the parts for our new big brake kit. No final details at present but spec will be as follows:

6 piston caliper (Brembo or AP)
Alloy brackets
choice of 2 sizes (17 and 18" wheel)
1 piece cast discs 330mm and 350mm
pads and wear sensors
brake hoses - braided stainless

The kit will be a direct fit with no machining required and will cost in the region of £900 - 1200 depending on the required spec. If you have any interest we will be making up a batch of 10 sets of the smaller option (330mm) next week, please dont PM me, this post is just to gauge interest.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:41:41 am by PDT »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Who would be interested in a cost effective Brake kit?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:55:48 am »
would it not make sense to use the std 345mm s3/cupra disc, and get caliper to it around them.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 01:42:55 pm »
This is possible but would require a special caliper/pad and bracket. Using the disc we have chosen allows you to use an OE pad, and the replacement discs from Bosch are £54+vat.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:56:25 pm »
keep us updated, how much difference do you anticipate between the 330mm and 350m setup?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:39:18 pm »
The 350mm will be slightly better, same caliper for both but slightly smaller pads on the 330mm. Biggest difference is the extra surface area for the 350mm kit will dissipate heat more efficiently. For road use and 17/18" wheels the 330mm is ideal, infact more than enough.

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:42:35 pm »
I thought you said cost effective  :signLOL:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:59:53 pm »
Could you let me know which caliper you are planning on using?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »
As for cost effective, try getting a bolt-on 6 pot kit with all new components for under 1k   :P

Dave: As soon as our kit is made and tested fully I will gladly supply all details and part numbers of components used. This way people can maybe save a few quid by using 2nd hand calipers etc...

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:42:13 pm »
 :popcornsoda:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 11:11:18 pm »
As for cost effective, try getting a bolt-on 6 pot kit with all new components for under 1k   :P

Dave: As soon as our kit is made and tested fully I will gladly supply all details and part numbers of components used. This way people can maybe save a few quid by using 2nd hand calipers etc...

Good luck with it, surprised you didn't mention it when we spoke in the week for the Edition 30 Brakes you were looking for. Sincerely wish you well with it, if you can get some AP 6 pot kits together for £900 and they're new I'll be ordering one myself.

The easy paths have been investigated. Get in touch If I can help might save you some machine time, im aware of most of the Mk5 Brake elephant traps and spacing issues - could save you some effort.

From experience people have high expectations for brakes on here - All the best

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 08:18:36 pm »

Good luck with it, surprised you didn't mention it when we spoke in the week for the Edition 30 Brakes you were looking for. Sincerely wish you well with it, if you can get some AP 6 pot kits together for £900 and they're new I'll be ordering one myself.

The easy paths have been investigated. Get in touch If I can help might save you some machine time, im aware of most of the Mk5 Brake elephant traps and spacing issues - could save you some effort.

From experience people have high expectations for brakes on here - All the best

I think thats only fair to have high expectations with brakes.  :signLOL:

What type of standard are you thinking of Dave, "stop the car every other application.  :evilgrin:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 06:38:40 pm »
first kit is made and good news is that after a bit of work on the prototype, they fit and work perfectly. Had to change plans slightly to get the spacing issues right with the discs but after a bit of trial and error we have a fully functioning 6pot brembo caliper that fits onder both the 17" and 18" monza and the 18" ED30 wheels, although they will need a small spacer (testing for exact spacer sizes at the end of the week)

The most appealing thing with this kit is that it can be put together for £600-700 if you get the calipers as a 2nd hand item.

heres a few pics:

Until we have a constant supply of new calipers we wont be selling these as a kit but we can supply all of the hardware (discs, pads, brake lines, nuts, bolts, spacers, bushings etc...  this kit will be retailing at £349. This will allow you to scource the calipers yourself as a new or used part to suit your budget (The calipers sell used on ebay for £250-£300 a pair or can be bought new for £500-600 a pair.

If anyone wants any info, just ask.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 10:55:01 pm »
weight?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 11:10:53 pm »
of any paticular component? or complete weight of original vs these? I w ill weigh them.

The calipers are a lot lighter than the originals but that will soon be cancelled out by the discs. We can supply a lightweight 2 piece disc with an alloy bell on request if weight was an issue but add at least £240 to the end price!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 11:47:01 pm »
of any paticular component? or complete weight of original vs these? I w ill weigh them.

The calipers are a lot lighter than the originals but that will soon be cancelled out by the discs. We can supply a lightweight 2 piece disc with an alloy bell on request if weight was an issue but add at least £240 to the end price!

caliper weight would be good. Hopefully someone will know how much the r32/s3/cupra caliper weighs also