Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear Subframe Replacement - Will a MK7/MQB platform rear subframe fit?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline gj124

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
The rust on the rear subframe/axle carrier is now so bad that it has a few pound coin sized holes in it, so will need replacement. There's no way I'm buying one of the cheap chinese ones on ebay so the plan is to source one in decent condition from a newer car (Audi A3/TT/Octavia etc etc). The subframe from a MK7 Golf/A3 looks visually identical to the one on my MK5 but has a totally different part number so I'm not sure if it'll fit. There are plenty of these in decent condition. Has anyone tried to fit a subframe from an MQB platform car with any success? The only difference I can see is the exhaust mounting bracket not being in the same place but that's easily fixed with a grinder and mig welder.

I was genuinely shocked to see how bad the rust was. Last year i stripped the rear axle from my 1995 BMW and that was nowhere near as bad.

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Rear Subframe Replacement - Will a MK7/MQB platform rear subframe fit?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 07:08:11 pm »
Buy a second hand MK5 one that’s in good condition. Then refurbish/powdercoat it. I very much doubt any subframe after the MK6 would fit correctly on the MK5.

Offline gj124

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 09:50:09 pm »
I would have to be very lucky to come across a MK5 subframe that's in good condition, hence why I'm asking if anyone has tried to fit one from a newer model... Plus even if I did find one that was worth blasting and painting I'd be spending a fair whack before it's even gone on the car, I've seen loads of MK7 ones for circa £100 on ebay. Verkline sell a tubular subframe that fits MK5,MK6 and MK7 so the mounting points must be the same. Nothing much else to worry about really apart from the exhaust hangers which are easily modified.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/volkswagen/golf-mk5/control-arms/verkline-rear-lightweight-tubular-subframe-mqb-pq35-2wd/

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 08:15:39 am »
As I don’t know I can’t help you any further with an exact yes or no to your original question… although I’ll give you my opinion. PQ platform to MQB I’d be aware of geometry/fitment issues personally.

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere Audi S3 8P/R32 MK5 early subframes are aluminium vs steel on the Golf. Although can’t confirm 100%.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 08:27:29 am by GreigC »

Offline gj124

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 01:11:58 pm »
As I don’t know I can’t help you any further with an exact yes or no to your original question… although I’ll give you my opinion. PQ platform to MQB I’d be aware of geometry/fitment issues personally.

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere Audi S3 8P/R32 MK5 early subframes are aluminium vs steel on the Golf. Although can’t confirm 100%.

Thanks for the input but not really interested in your opinion since you don't seem to know what you're talking about, but seem happy to make assumptions and give advice despite having no experience or knowledge on the subject matter. I'm sorry if that comes across like I'm having a go personally, it's just something that grinds my gears on forums/social media.

Yes S3/R32 subframes are alloy but are a different design for obvious reasons. If I could find one for the FWD platform i'd be after it like a shot!

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 01:54:32 pm »
This is just a forum to help/guide not to tell you what to do. If you look on most posts on here or any car forum people may get things right or wrong on a reply as it’s a community to help. Due to the lack of responses you’ve had on this… its either not a common upgrade or the experts you require are not on this forum anymore. Even when you search online what you’ve asked there is nothing I can find.

I have changed rear subframes on cars before and on my Audi B5 S4 so I can say I know a little on what’s involved or to be checked.

Consult a large firm like R-Tech and ask them over the phone if you don’t like what you see on the online forums. Because the next person who reply’s could give you the wrong information and you go and buy a subframe that won’t fit.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 02:00:52 pm by GreigC »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 10:51:47 pm »

This. Pretty sure the MQB has a different motion ratio compared to MK5 - i.e. the relationship between the spring and damper position and the wheel levering on them.

It's the main area of development the MK7 and MK8 had over the MK5 and why they handle so much better.  The front end is largely bread and butter McPherson standard issue stuff and not changed that much, other than switching back to MK4 wishbones.

You could pull it off and get good results though, if it will fit! Just don't do any crazy driving until it's all checked out and aligned properly  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D