Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 Golf GT to GTI engine conversion  (Read 202 times)

Offline Demetristavrou

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
MK5 Golf GT to GTI engine conversion
« on: June 18, 2024, 07:35:03 pm »
Hello Everyone, after a bit of advice.

I currently own a 2006 golf GT 1.4 Twin charge, which has a hurt engine and manual gearbox. I have tried to source a replacement engine and box, but these are very hard to come by, and extremely expensive, as the car lives in Cyprus.

I live in the UK, and can source a same year, manual MK5 GTI (complete car) very cheap and bring it to Cyprus, but for tax reasons I can not register it, so my plan is to swap the engine and gearbox from the GTI, into the GT, but I can't find much info on the Wiring.

From what I have found, the GTI engine harness should plug directly into the chassis harness of the GT, as well as the ECU.

Would I be best to swap the ECU, cluster, ignition, locks etc from the GTI onto the GT? Or is there an easy way to run the GTI engine from the GT ECU?

Any help/ advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks! 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 10:37:25 pm by Demetristavrou »

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 9
Re: MK5 Golf GT to GTI engine conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 10:03:39 pm »
I've had the same swap idea. My mechanic buddies who also do swaps told me I'd need to swap over pretty much everything engine/drivetrain related. ABS pump, ECU, cluster, ignition, steering wheel control module etc. Then there's the engine itself, the gearbox, the drivetrain... The GTI axles are a lot thicker than the 1.4 ones. Brakes and disks are bigger too. They said some of the wiring is plug and play but a lot has to be modified. You'd pretty much need the entire engine harness from the GTI. The swap alone would have cost me a bit over 800 euros and this was 2 years ago.
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Stock Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline Demetristavrou

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 11:16:21 am »
Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to code the existing ABS, steering wheel module etc to the GTI ECU.

I wouldn't have to swap the Brakes/ axles/ hubs, as the GT has the same as the GTI ones from factory thankfully

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 09:00:46 pm »
You'd need to check the ABS module pins and see if they are all in the same spot on both modules. I was able to upgrade my 2009 1.4 with a module off of a golf 6 that had hill hold assist. Simply had to re-code the module and it was done. I forgot what tool they used but it would basically generate long codings for you and you'd just copy paste them in till there were no errors.

Fair enough about the drivetrain. mine was the 122hp version so those are a bit smaller.
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Stock Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp