Make a donation

Author Topic: Will a light tasteful burble tune ruin my GTI?  (Read 358 times)

Offline Ezzy Zac

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Will a light tasteful burble tune ruin my GTI?
« on: July 02, 2024, 09:49:30 am »
Hey all,

I'm planning on going stage 2 from stage 1 on Friday on my 2007 MK5 and was wanting a light tasteful burble tune put onto my car. Nothing obnoxious to be THAT golf guy with pops and bangs that can be heard from a mile away and will piss of people around me, Just something nice to enhance the car sounds

Will it hurt my engine or turbo. People have said it'll ruin your cat but i thankfully don't have one in the car.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Will a light tasteful burble tune ruin my GTI?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 09:45:59 pm »
Correct. Ignition cut and dumping fuel into the exhaust post firing cycle is not good for the turbo.

Standard engines burble out of the box if you do a decat or resonator delete.  The complete factory exhaust absorbs that noise.

I'm glad you are taking a sensible approach to it because there is nothing more annoying and chavvy than stupid pops and bangs. That trend is so old and boring. It just annoys people.

I would focus more on the performance than noise.  A decent downpipe will free off power and burble on the overrun, but won't pop and bang.

DSG farts can be excused as that is factory due to a torque reduction (ignition cut) being required during shifts.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D