Make a donation

Author Topic: Silly question, but why do some golfs have ariels and others dont??  (Read 8204 times)

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Silly question, but why do some golfs have ariels and others dont??
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 11:21:04 pm »
Jaffa, do you have 3 speakers per front door?  I have tweeter in front of the window up by the A pillar, then a mid range above the door handle, and then a bass speaker below the handle.  :happy2: 

I really wish I had a shark  fin, although I did see an 08 gulf the otehr day with the integrated gps and aerial and that IMHO is one ugly unit!  looks like a play school toy!

will check next time I am out in it.
was just curious as I had seen some with and some without, was tryin to figure out myself why they would have done it, thought maybe newer ones didnt have ariels, but then seen 09plates with and without, then thought its maybe a GTI thing but then same again, had seen some with and some without.
just little things like that, that keep the wee cogs inside ma head turning  :signLOL:
I also prefer it without the ariel as it makes it a little neater to look at, if any1 is that pernikity to notice that is.
but by the looks of it, there doesnt seem to be any logic in why some and some do not have ariels.

Chris

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 11:43:52 pm »
Interesting UB7RM, I have an 05 with blue tinted windows, and 10 speakers, but a roof aerial so change over must have been during 05 registration that aerial changed, shame really as its a bit of an ugly big aerial!  :sick:

I have 10 speakers, blue tint and a roof serial  and mines a 55plate 06 model
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:45:52 pm by Chris »

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 01:11:30 pm »
10 speakers,10 air bags,blue glass & no ariel 05 plate.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:45 pm »
I have had a thought today while wondering around at lunch, could the difference between aerial on roof and aerial in rear window have something to do with 3 and 5 door cars?  Since our 5 doors dont have a rear window to hide the aerial!!!!  :happy2:

5 door '05 with aerial mine
3 door '05 at lunch no aerial.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 01:37:07 pm »
^^ doubt it, more likley they dont make the part for the ariel in the rear window anymore and the 5 door model had been smashed at some point. so replaced it on the roof.

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 01:51:12 pm »
The glass aerials are normally in the rear side windows which you don't have on the 5 door versions, hence my thinking that this would be the defining characteristic to what from the comments above seems to be a random variance, as you cant have an aerial in a window that retracts into the door as reception would be terrible!  And I dont believe the aerial would have great reception in the rear heated glass.  I may be wrong.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 03:26:23 pm »
Interesting UB7RM, I have an 05 with blue tinted windows, and 10 speakers, but a roof aerial so change over must have been during 05 registration that aerial changed, shame really as its a bit of an ugly big aerial!  :sick:
There are no 05 reg cars with roof aerials (other than shark fin - phone prep/sat nav) so yours has been added by a previous owner.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 04:08:35 pm »
Are you sure about that Trev, I know ive seen a MY and change in specification thread somewhere, and the model years dont always tie in with the registration years, and Chris with 55 reg could be same model year as my car but registered 1 month apart, does anyone have a link to a MY specification thread searching has turned up nothing.

Bearing in mind that you have to continue to manufacture and supply parts for cars for 10 years after production it would be very un-likely that someone would go to the trouble of retro-fitting a roof aerial on a car that had an integrated glass aerial, as this would involve drilling a hole in the roof of the car and re-running the wiring along the whole length of the car.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »
the ariel runs down the middle of the back window??!!  :confused:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 05:01:35 pm »
Are you sure about that Trev, I know ive seen a MY and change in specification thread somewhere, and the model years dont always tie in with the registration years, and Chris with 55 reg could be same model year as my car but registered 1 month apart, does anyone have a link to a MY specification thread searching has turned up nothing.

Bearing in mind that you have to continue to manufacture and supply parts for cars for 10 years after production it would be very un-likely that someone would go to the trouble of retro-fitting a roof aerial on a car that had an integrated glass aerial, as this would involve drilling a hole in the roof of the car and re-running the wiring along the whole length of the car.

Unless someone can definitely prove otherwise, I'm 100% definite that you can't get an 05 registered car with a roof aerial (other than a sharks fin).  It could be the owner attached it without wiring it up - that's what I did with my 05 reg GTI. :ashamed:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 05:07:13 pm »
Joe do you mean the rear window on the boot, or the rear passenger window(s)?

It just seems very strange and disturbing that someone would have fitted a large OEM bee sting type aerial to the top of my car apparently for no reason!  I could understand a sharkfin!  :confused:

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 06:11:04 pm »
I have had a thought today while wondering around at lunch, could the difference between aerial on roof and aerial in rear window have something to do with 3 and 5 door cars?  Since our 5 doors dont have a rear window to hide the aerial!!!!  :happy2:

5 door '05 with aerial mine
3 door '05 at lunch no aerial.

Dont think the number of doors has anything to do with it, as I have a 5door and dont have an aeriel.

seems like I have sparked little debate,  :signLOL:

was just something I thought would have most obvious answer that i couldnt think of and someone would tell me but apparently not.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 07:27:26 pm »
Mines a 5 door (04 MY, 05 Plate), no aerial.  There was a chap who parked next to me at work with an 05 plate, standard stereo (RCDxxx) and he had an aerial.  He may have had phone prep though - not sure.

Its deff in the rear glass btw.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 08:44:10 pm »
My 05 with no ariel,

just as it should have come from the factory (imo)  :grin:

Im a whore i know  :evilgrin:

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • DA Productions
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 08:37:48 am »
Mine's an 05 with a BeeSting aerial....
Got the 10 speakers too (and blue glass)

Mine was fitted as standard IIRC.

DAn  :happy2:

Interesting UB7RM, I have an 05 with blue tinted windows, and 10 speakers, but a roof aerial so change over must have been during 05 registration that aerial changed, shame really as its a bit of an ugly big aerial!  :sick:
There are no 05 reg cars with roof aerials (other than shark fin - phone prep/sat nav) so yours has been added by a previous owner.

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....