Make a donation

Author Topic: New member saying hi looking for some advice :)  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Scotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
New member saying hi looking for some advice :)
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »
Hi

I’ve been a Impreza owner for 8 out of the past 11 years and now looking to change to a Mk5 GTi – a car I’ve always fancied.

Both my previous Subaru’s were heavily modified (very quiet standard exhaust and no extra external modifications – but running 310bhp with up-rated internals and suspension) but I had a drive of one of my mates Mk5 GTi and I loved it and my current Impreza was feeling long in the tooth and, lets face it, the Golf is a much nicer place to sit in  :driver:

So, managed to sell my current Impreza yesterday and looking to spend around £11k on a 2005 Mk5.

However, still not sure about whether to go for the DGS or manual (not tried the DSG yet). I’ve read a number of users reporting that the DSG can be jerky at  low speed (start/stop traffic) and that when on the motorway in 6th, if you just wanted to overtake it can sometimes kick-down to a lower gear, rather than stay in 6th. Also that the DSG is great for a couple weekend then people can often fancy the manual again for the greater control.  I’ve very much welcome people’s views on DGS option.

Any other tips on what optional extras available on the cars are worth looking out for?

Cheers
Richard.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: New member saying hi looking for some advice :)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 12:18:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum  :happy2:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Saint Steve

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:35:13 pm »
Multi function steering wheel, highline, and dsg would have to be the 1st options as a must.Xenons are an added bonus.

The Rest can be added, but with the above, to add on makes it slightly easier.

Go drive a DSG. TBH there are people that swear by it, and others prefer the old fashion " feel in control" method manual. :indifferent:  

:wink:

If your in to modifiying, then you WILL have to upgrade the clutch to cope as there are lots of dual mass flywheel and clutch failures on mk5's after remaps etc, whereas the DSG cars seem to cope with less issues after a remap. (although new clutch pack for DSG will set you back £1000 approx to replace.

Head to your local Vw dealer and Blag a test drive in both to draw your own conclusion or use the search function as there is endless info on pro's and cons on this very website.

Whichever you choose, it is a Fantastic car that gets reletively little critisism.
 :happy2:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:36:51 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 01:49:31 pm »
Welcome!  :drinking:

If Arthritis is an issue get an Auto!  :laugh:

If your still young and alive get a hairy chested manual!  :star:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:36:06 pm »
Good to see you made it over mate and dont worry we will help u spend your £££££  :evilgrin: and as for clutch you will be more than fine with a K03 turbo Gti as its us K04 guys that get slip over 300bhp  :grin:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:40:35 pm »
welcome along mate! ;)

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 02:43:41 pm »
Hi and Welcome... :driver:

DSG for me in the GTI with Paddles on the MFSW.

Jerky at slow speeds could indicate a faulty Mechatronics unit, expensive to replace out of warranty, but don't let that put you off buying one though. Go and try one and see how you get on... :happy2:

Cheers,

Wayne

Saint Steve

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:28:21 pm »
Hi and Welcome... :driver:

DSG for me in the GTI with Paddles on the MFSW.

Jerky at slow speeds could indicate a faulty Mechatronics unit, expensive to replace out of warranty, but don't let that put you off buying one though. Go and try one and see how you get on... :happy2:

^^ or take choppers choice...... Buy two white cars , leave one in the garage :wink:

Offline Scotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:56:24 pm »
Many thanks for the welcome and the comments - time for a test drive in a DSG plus spending a good amount of time browsing the forum  :happy2:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 07:11:50 pm »
Welcome along matey  :pomppomp: :wink:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic