Make a donation

Author Topic: Hi everyone. advice please?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Hi everyone. advice please?
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:44:07 pm »
I'm new to the site so hello everyone!
Basically I have only been driving a few years so got a car to build up a few years ncb, it was a Citroen c4 coupe 1.4 (100bhp). Now though I want to move up to something a bit more powerful so have been looking at mk5s. Love the idea of leather, sat nav, dsg etc a major step up from my Citroen! What will this step up be like? Has anyone been in a similar situation of going from a car with not a lot of power to a gti? Will it take a while to get used to? Anyhow I can't wait! :happy2:
Just a few more questions. Firstly what kind of milaege should I expect from a dsg box? My budget of around 13k means all the ones I'm looking at have at least 60k+ miles on and I know they can be expensive to replace. Also can I connect an iPhone to the optional iPod dock to play music?
 Anyhow sorry for going on! Hopefully I'll frequent this site alot more in the future!

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Hi everyone. advice please?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:14:39 pm »
Welcome along  :drinking:

I went from a Focus 1.6 around 100 to the GTI, and it is a big difference, both in terms of interior, equipment and power and flexibility to gain speed in any gear.  I have DSG, Leather, Xenons on an 05 picked up with 27k in jan for 13k so you could get everything you want with less miles in your price range.

As for how quickly you will get used to it will depend on what other cars youve driven how much experience you have driving and your driving style, but as long as you dont floor it all the time you should be zipping around without issue straight away its a really easy car to drive.

As for the iphone question it depends what ipod dock you have if its the older version, the ipod plugs directly into the bottom of the unit then no, as this has very limited ipod playing ability, it only really acts like a multi-changer playing the first 5 playlists on the ipod, and a random song selection for 6. If you get an MDI (which wont have been standard fit on any car apart from very new MK5's then you can play tracks off the iphone.  This last option will only be available via one of the touch-screen stereos so if it doesnt have that then its safe to say it wont work.

HTH  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 03:14:25 pm »
Thanks for your very thorough post, that helps greatly. Well the c4 was/is my first car so it's the only car I've driven (apart from 4 laps in an r8 that was a gift day!)
I'm really hoping to be blown away by it. I know it's not the fastest car in the world but I'm sure it's gonna feel fast for me!
Once again thanks!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:21:01 pm »
No problem, You will be blown away its alot quicker than most other cars on the road, and with the turbo and the high torque low down in the rev range you will find in gear performance on the motor way etc to be amazing. 

GTI is my 5th car, I briefly had a leon TDI DSG which was good but the GTI is better by a country mile, best way to find out though is to go for a test drive!  :driver:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 04:11:41 pm »
Sounds fantastic!  :happy2:
just got to sell my car Now which is easier said than done! Every email so far has been from a scammer! :fighting:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:51:27 pm »
Welcome chap!  :drinking:

Good luck with the hunt, glad youv'e seen the light!  :happy2:

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:59:57 pm »
Cheers fella. You guys seem like a friendly bunch.  :drinking:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 12:02:55 am »
Welcome along matey  :pomppomp: :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:49:53 am »
Hi and Welcome along :driver:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:01:08 pm »
welcome and good luck with the hunt. i went from a 1.6 fiesta zetec s to mine the difference was like night and day.

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:06:28 pm »
Hello mate........as above you will not regret it if you can afford one do.  :wink:  :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:36:38 pm »
not quite the same but I went from a 1.5 diesel corsa to a mk5 2.0 gttdi..the difference was like night and day,means I don't have to get out and push the car up steep hills

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 04:27:19 pm »
I like the last comment! :signLOL:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 07:12:31 pm »
Just get one.  :smiley:  :wink:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Tones

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 02:37:20 pm »
Hey, welcome! Went from a 106 1.0 to a Mk5 GTI and the difference is unbelievable! Puts a smile on my face everyday and the low range power and handling are fantastic! Best of luck with the search!