Make a donation

Author Topic: Bigger Brakes  (Read 7858 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Bigger Brakes
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 10:38:20 am »
What pads did you get with your Alcons?

I'm betting Ferodo DS Performance/2500s?

I'm then betting you've got them hot, they've melted and they've smeared themselves all over the discs, causing loads of high spots and they're now juddering like hell?

Mine did the same thing.

They're utter, utter sh*te pads. They can't sell you a road kit with a non-Emarked pad... thing is, Emarked pads suck ass. You will not have warped the discs, I guarantee it - I've had zero problems since changing mine and had them glowing, they're not so much as glazed.

Going back to the original problem, I had the discs re-polished (not skimmed) and junked the pads in favour of Carbotech XP8s. I also use Carbonne Lorraine RC6s on my other rotors, basically you just need to choose your compound wisely as you've got hugely powerful brakes capable of generating a lot of heat. Speaking to Alcon may well see them sort the discs and pads for you as a means of goodwill.

The Audi set up? Waste of money IMO. They're for a 600kg+ heavier car, won't be running the right sort of piston sizes to suit your M/C (i.e you'll get a crap, long pedal and on/off brakes) and you'll never get enough heat into such a big disc to get them working well... heat in brakes is good.

You've a good set up, I'd think about what I've said and talk to Alcon before jumping out of them, as you'll regret it.

EDIT: I'd say the same thing if they were APs, VWR's, Brembos....... it's all down to the crap pad.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 10:55:01 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 11:27:05 am »
Sean

Long time no squeak, good to get you back on here.

Thanks mate, regards to you too.  :happy2:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline robokn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Owner of Possibly the most modified MK II 3.2 V6
    • RNJ Developments
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 05:40:03 pm »
Tony I have been speaking to Alcon since August last year and they think it may be the piston seals and not the pads
as I suggested that to them, they asked me to come up and get it sorted and when I asked for some compo as I am
a contractor so would be taking time off to fix their problem they offered me the money back so that is one of the reasons

The Audi ones are actually the same kit as Brembo sell for the TT and the TaT Shop have already fitted a set to their RS
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:42:04 pm by robokn »

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 06:04:59 pm »
Hi, i just thought id post a site i was on a bit back if you did really want these and they are a 405mm disc rather than 390mm.

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/374422/audi/brembo-gt-drilled-big-brake-kits/101-9501a.html

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 06:07:43 pm »

I take it this is an aesthetic upgrade, why would you need the brakes from a 2 tonne + car?

....Exactly my thoughts too.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline robokn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • RNJ Developments
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 06:16:38 pm »
Bit of both really and I have done the math as has Brembo I guess as it is their kit in another guise for the TT as an
upgrade, and the price is lot better i.e. £1800 as opposed to 4k + just for a two piece disc

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 07:20:18 pm »
Tony I have been speaking to Alcon since August last year and they think it may be the piston seals and not the pads
as I suggested that to them, they asked me to come up and get it sorted and when I asked for some compo as I am
a contractor so would be taking time off to fix their problem they offered me the money back so that is one of the reasons

The Audi ones are actually the same kit as Brembo sell for the TT and the TaT Shop have already fitted a set to their RS

OK, I can only go on what happened with mine I suppose, but I'd still say 99% pads.

Oddly enough, the same has happened with a fair few of my mate's cars running various types of brakes - as soon as you overcook Ferodo pads, they cover the discs in crap and cause epic judder. You can clean them up with garnet paper if you don't want them reground (about £30 a rotor).

If it helps, speak to the lads at EARS.co.uk in Macclesfield and they might have a set of worn non-ferodo pads you can have. They use them on their rally cars and they're really helpful, I use them a lot. Clean up the discs, use the pads and see if they still judder?
Sideways yo!

Offline robokn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • RNJ Developments
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 08:01:07 pm »
Here are some images on another car

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 08:47:18 pm »
Bit of both really and I have done the math as has Brembo I guess as it is their kit in another guise for the TT as an
upgrade, and the price is lot better i.e. £1800 as opposed to 4k + just for a two piece disc

Can you let me have the piston sizes...

Not being a smart ass just v.curious

Offline robokn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • RNJ Developments
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 08:56:25 pm »
This may help stifle your curiosity

http://www.racepads.co.uk/downloads/GT_Techinfo.pdf

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »
Yep mate thats the GT Kit....

OEM's specify their own specs piston wise, I wouldn't assume they're the same. Got a pair in my hand here that look like the ones in the brochure with 28/30mm pistons they're 36/40 on the GT kit for the Mk4 and Ferrari run them at 38/42.

I was hoping we might be able to find out the RS6 sizes - not to worry if you've got them on

Cheers

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 05:56:41 am »
Here are some images on another car

That's Mule's TT-RS, i've taken and posted those pictures  :grin: Very massive discs and calipers, i was considering buying his original TT-RS brakes, they look very much like the R8 rears, what do you say Dave?? Could i use the R8 rear on the r32 discs??  :notworthy:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline robokn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • RNJ Developments
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 06:52:10 am »
So I take it they work fine then???

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 06:57:32 am »
So I take it they work fine then???

They are so much better than the 8 pots audi he had on his RS6  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 10:26:07 am »

Will someone please educate me on this, but unless you are actually track racing a medium weight car such as the Golf, isn't there a point where bigger is not better and where it becomes braking overkill?

Surely people don't go for big brakes just for their looks?  :stupid: Oh, hang on, they go for slamming their suspension, so why not brakes.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!