Make a donation

Author Topic: Bigger Brakes  (Read 7853 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Bigger Brakes
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 11:11:45 am »
Yes Robin, you're right - big is not best. For many, many reasons.

Rotating mass, weight, inability to get up to ideal working temps, potential for incorrect piston sizing, F-R balance.... loads.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 11:23:42 am »
Yes Robin, you're right - big is not best. For many, many reasons.

Rotating mass, weight, inability to get up to ideal working temps, potential for incorrect piston sizing, F-R balance.... loads.

....Phew! That makes a change - Me being right  :wink:

I've obviously learnt something from reading all the brake related posts on this forum.  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »
something i always say to people considering brake upgrades, is think about the cost of the consumables like discs and pads. A big part of the cost of the kit is the discs and pads so come a years time you may be spending over £200 for a set of front pads. Ive just replaced my front pads for about the 4th time in 4 years and had to splash out £230 for the pleasure of some pagids. the DS2500's had gone up to £260!
When I changed my rotors,  I got some copies made up from hispec as they are local, they wernt too bad at £330 but theyre only 330x28mm.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:37:00 pm by DanGB »
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline robokn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Owner of Possibly the most modified MK II 3.2 V6
    • RNJ Developments
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 05:12:10 pm »
The cost of replacing the OEM stuff is considerably lower than the Alcon stuff and yes I am looking at those as an ascetic
point of view and anything must be better than brakes that cost kkkk's and shake the car every time you press the brake

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 05:45:31 pm »
The cost of replacing the OEM stuff is considerably lower than the Alcon stuff and yes I am looking at those as an ascetic
point of view and anything must be better than brakes that cost kkkk's and shake the car every time you press the brake

....Effective big brake kits don't usually shake the car. Some may squeeel but that's kinda nice. Improved pedal response and stopping power can only be good.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 07:02:26 pm »

Will someone please educate me on this, but unless you are actually track racing a medium weight car such as the Golf, isn't there a point where bigger is not better and where it becomes braking overkill?
I sense a bit of pot and black kettle!  :P

Surely people don't go for big brakes just for their looks?  :stupid: Oh, hang on, they go for slamming their suspension, so why not brakes.
Cooking utensils again . . .  :evilgrin:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 07:19:25 pm »

Will someone please educate me on this, but unless you are actually track racing a medium weight car such as the Golf, isn't there a point where bigger is not better and where it becomes braking overkill?
I sense a bit of pot and black kettle!  :P

Surely people don't go for big brakes just for their looks?  :stupid: Oh, hang on, they go for slamming their suspension, so why not brakes.
Cooking utensils again . . .  :evilgrin:

....How do work that out, T_T? My AP's are just the right size and spec for fast road use and occasional trackdays. And my KW-V3 suspension is similarly setup.  :P