Make a donation

Author Topic: coilovers to lowering springs  (Read 5001 times)

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
coilovers to lowering springs
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:02:24 am »
I've had to take my FK coilovers off due to one of the damper inserts leaking :confused: Once I got them off I've had to cut the locking rings off cos they welding themselves to the struts :sad1:

I've ordered a new insert and some new locking rings but wanted to ask your opinions do I put the coils back on or sell and buy lowering springs,  I've put the original springs and dampers back on and they feel brand new?  

I've also replaced the drop links with new standard ones but also bought some new FK short drop links to replace the worn ones,  

I've also bought and replaced the front wishbone front and rear bushes with proflex ones not the WALK kit but just poly bushes.

Feels nice and tight again but like the lowered look of the golf and the handling was so much better with the coils I'm really undecided

Your opinions welcome

Cheers

Darren

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:06:31 am by mortygttdi »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: coilovers to lowering springs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:12:59 am »

Well, you asked for opinions, so..

Your saying that your "handling was so much better with the coils" tells me that you'll really miss not having them every time you have the opportunity for some spirited driving. Sure, you'll get used to not having them, but.

Personally, I rate improving/enhancing the GTI's oem handling as a high priority. There's nothing quite like getting a section of road or track nailed and smooth flowing.

You sacrifice a wee bit of ride comfort but how much that bothers you depends on you personally.

The Slippery Slope beckons yet again!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:40:16 am »
If your dampers are in good condition I would buy some sportlines and stick them on! My car drives great on this setup, it's cheap and easy and it is plenty low enough. And in reality, the standard setup of the gti is more than capable for the majority of drivers anyway... Just another thought  :smiley:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:55:04 am »

And in reality, the standard setup of the gti is more than capable for the majority of drivers anyway  :smiley:

....Absolutely. The standard GTI suspension on the Mk5 is excellent. It's only us boy-racers and OAPs (and Hurdy) who demand a bit more.  :evilgrin:

Like many of use here, I didn't mod my suspension because I thought the standard one was crap. I also didn't do it just for looks or show purposes.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:53:15 am »
Must be getting old - I don't like when the ride height gets dropped more than 20mm or so.

Regards the handling - is fine as standard - could do with less body roll though, ARBs sort this?  Do ARBs decrease comofrt / ride quality?
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:03:30 am »
Must be getting old - I don't like when the ride height gets dropped more than 20mm or so.

Regards the handling - is fine as standard - could do with less body roll though, ARBs sort this?  Do ARBs decrease comofrt / ride quality?

....ARBs will solve body roll and consequently less body roll = more comfort cos you ain't being flung about as much.

Don't worry about the ride height feeling - When you get over 50yo you'll start wanting to get on down.  :evilgrin:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:49:16 am »
If your dampers are in good condition I would buy some sportlines and stick them on! My car drives great on this setup, it's cheap and easy and it is plenty low enough. And in reality, the standard setup of the gti is more than capable for the majority of drivers anyway... Just another thought  :smiley:

The problem with lowering springs on OE dampers is that you are shortening their travel which in turn will shorten their life as they arent able to fully extend as they can with OE springs. Shorter springs result in more pre-load being applied to the damper all of the time and the shorter travel with increase the chances of bottoming. Both of which will be over stressing the dampers internals.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 04:58:31 pm »
I really rated the AP coilovers on mine when i eas in germany as the roads were good. however since moving into medway, kent  where the roads are absolutely horrendous, i found they were a little to harsh.  id be tempted to go wit the lowering sprins,

but i wouldn't match lowering springs to std dampers as you will compromise the damping which is prably more improtant than the spring stiffness.  id be matching the springs to a good set of after market dampers such as bilsteins or FSDs.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:18:48 pm »
this is the reason i put kw varient 1 coil overs as they are made out of stain less steel and don't rust....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »
^^^^
Also why I chose KW-V3's over a track coilover (Clubsports?).

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 07:46:36 pm »
Andy its nothing to do with the coilover bodies mate, mine are the fk highsport silverline which are S/S its the ally locking rings which are the same on all coilovers they weld themselves to the strut and need very regular cleaning which for me was every 3-4 months.

Unfortunately over the winter with the really bad weather :fighting: I had no chance to sort them and they just went bad...I actually had a 4lb lump hammer with the rear adjusters in a vice and went to town on them and got them off but just didn't want to do the same with the front dampers :scared: so have taken them to a fabrication company to let them take them off and re-cut the threads.

Once I have every thing back Ill make a executive decision and either sell and buy new spring and or dampers or just put them back on and blather wax oil all over them :grin:

Darren

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 09:36:42 pm »
Andy its nothing to do with the coilover bodies mate, mine are the fk highsport silverline which are S/S its the ally locking rings which are the same on all coilovers they weld themselves to the strut and need very regular cleaning which for me was every 3-4 months.

Unfortunately over the winter with the really bad weather :fighting: I had no chance to sort them and they just went bad...I actually had a 4lb lump hammer with the rear adjusters in a vice and went to town on them and got them off but just didn't want to do the same with the front dampers :scared: so have taken them to a fabrication company to let them take them off and re-cut the threads.

Once I have every thing back Ill make a executive decision and either sell and buy new spring and or dampers or just put them back on and blather wax oil all over them :grin:

Da

Darren
sorry Darren i most of misread your post-if you need to use a ramp thiers always mine at work you can use :happy2:

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 09:42:17 pm »
I say get the coilies back on and slam it, jobs a goodun'  :happy2:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 03:15:17 am »
cheers andy thats much appreciated

Cheers mr rascal im going to see what sort of condition they turn out like and then plaster them in grease maybe slap them back on and see what they are like with the new poly bushes?

Ultimately I want a full respray and an S3 engine to go in so in the long run the suspension is going to need uprating :

Cheers

Darren

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 09:44:47 am »
cheers andy thats much appreciated

Cheers mr rascal im going to see what sort of condition they turn out like and then plaster them in grease maybe slap them back on and see what they are like with the new poly bushes?

Ultimately I want a full respray and an S3 engine to go in so in the long run the suspension is going to need uprating :

Cheers

Darren

With or without Haldex?
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator