Make a donation

Author Topic: Best EGT Gague.  (Read 2150 times)

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Best EGT Gague.
« on: May 05, 2010, 12:37:03 pm »
Hi all,
I am now close to starting my BT install and i would like to incorporate Boost and EGT gagues.

now boost is not a problem and i was keen on DEFI , however i just had a look at their website and their EGT gagues only go up to 1100c which is def not enough.

AEM goes only to 980c

anyone has a clue on a good EGT sensor/Display which can go up to 1400 let's say ?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Best EGT Gague.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:50:36 pm »
Hi all,
I am now close to starting my BT install and i would like to incorporate Boost and EGT gagues.

now boost is not a problem and i was keen on DEFI , however i just had a look at their website and their EGT gagues only go up to 1100c which is def not enough.

AEM goes only to 980c

anyone has a clue on a good EGT sensor/Display which can go up to 1400 let's say ?

Have you logged the EGT via VCDS - as that will give you a definative temperature.  :wink:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 01:33:28 pm »
VCDS logging of EGT is basically only relevant on stage 1 cars where the exhaust system and downpipe are the same so the computer can accuratly "guess" the EGT.

on stage 2+ cars this has proven to be unreliable data, and further more your tuner can play with it.

on BT cars like mine , VCDS readings are totally unreliable.

i would like to mount an external EGT sensor directly into the exhaust manifold and get correct readings + the ability to monitor them as i go.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:50:08 pm »
I thought 1100 would be plenty in terms of headroom, why do you expect more?
Whats the rated temp range for the turbo you plan to  fit? Ive never heard anyone ever anywhere near 1400..
I guess it depends a lot on where the sensor is cited too.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 03:04:50 pm »
1100 is not very high . a k04 is factory rated to 1050 and gt2871 can stand 1200.

also , almost all of the software suppliers "lie" about EGT.

when you have an aftermarket TB or DP , the EGT from vag-com are unreliable , also the tune provider has an option to "play" with the way EGT's are calculated since there is no real EGT sensor on our cars.

i've seen K04 cars with tunes max out external EGT gagues that go up to 1100 on a WOT pull from 2nd to 6th.

i do believe that if i max out a 2871 , 1100c will be o.k for normal driving but will not give me enough clock headroom to understand how high the turbo goes when i work on the tune.

i also checked now PLX devices which are extremly good , unfortunally their EGT probes go only to 1028c which is of-course not enough on our cars.

the TFSI runs extrme EGT's compared to other cars and therefore it is really hard to find a good probe

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 03:15:18 pm »
Im surprised the numbers are so so high from what i've seen of other Audi engines and the EGT's of under 1000 with the sensor in the DP and running much much bigger numbers than the Golf's
Ant

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 05:55:29 pm »
You thought about using a Dashdaq device with necessary thermocouple/sensors connected to it. E.g. Phidgets K-Type thermocouple (reads to 1200). Or using a Dashdaq with an Innovate LM3 set up or PLX sensors, though IIRV PLX stuff only goes to 1023 degrees?

Some useful links:
http://www.dashdaq.com
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lma3.php

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:59:10 pm »
i have been looking at these for some time . still unsure on what to get . prob a spa guage
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 09:26:48 am »
Im surprised the numbers are so so high from what i've seen of other Audi engines and the EGT's of under 1000 with the sensor in the DP and running much much bigger numbers than the Golf's

Well , depends on which engine you look at . the 1800t run lower EGT's then the 2.0T FSI engines.
otherwise Audi and VW should be exactly the same.

also , checking the EGT in the DP is very misleading since you are doing the check post turbo. if you look in VCDS you will always see that CAT temps are lower then actual calculated EGT

the good way to test EGT's are pre turbo inside the exhaust manifold.

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 09:29:10 am »
DomT - that's over 1000$ of hardware just to get the EGT and the DashDaq does not display extended information on VW as i get it so it is pretty useless except as a display.

however , your link to innovative is interesting since they also sell gagues and their EGT probe goes to 1200c

i wish i could use PLX with a different probe. it is def the best looking and performing gague.

gilim - haven't looked at SPA , do you have a link ?

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 10:30:32 am »
gillim -
i just looked at SPA gagues , their EGT only goes to 1000c which is pointless in our cars.