Make a donation

Author Topic: Cat D Write Off ........  (Read 1487 times)

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Cat D Write Off ........
« on: May 11, 2010, 07:05:02 pm »
I'm looking at a new bike which is a registered as a CAT D. I've been told it was cosmetic damage but i'd like to find out exactly what grounds it was written off on (whether is was purely cosmetic or whether there was something else). I have the reg number e.t.c

Is there any way I can find this out?!

Cheers, Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline jimlad09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Cat D Write Off ........
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:01:14 pm »
google it my man. it basically says that its an insurance write off where more than 60% but less than 100% of the value of the vehicle was caused in damage. Apparently it also covers recovered stolen vehicles and you should check with your insurance company as not all will cover a vehicle that is cat d.

Also for your own safety aswell as financial benefits its worth getting it thoroughly checked out!

Nasir

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 08:03:22 pm »
Contact the insurance company that wrote it off? Or the previous owner?

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:47:06 pm »
My old Octavia ended up as a cat D. It was written off because the total cost of repair was more than the value of the car. That was 4.5k of bodywork repairs plus an engine and turbo.

So move the car on from recoverer to buyer to ebay and the engine and turbo get forgotten and there is just bodywork.
I don't wish to spoil your party but unless the damage is glaringly obvious and matches the price and perceived value then be very careful.