Make a donation

Author Topic: Manual Vs DSG (Golf R)  (Read 10296 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Manual Vs DSG (Golf R)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 02:41:04 pm »
Not point going the pod though in a DSG.  :laugh:

Please explain  :confused: :grin:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 02:42:01 pm »
Manual was a more-door lard arse, probably had a sunroof too.... *whistles whilst walking away.

You know you want one Mike :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 02:44:26 pm »
Manual was a more-door lard arse, probably had a sunroof too.... *whistles whilst walking away.

You know you want one Mike :wink:
Ha ha!

I was going more along the lines of VW supplying different press cars to stack the cards in one's favour, to make more people buy DSG.
Sideways yo!

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 0
  • Surrey
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 02:50:02 pm »
What is the weight difference between a 3 and 5 door variant? 

One thing to perhas balance the cards is that the DSG gearbox is 20-30kg heavier than the manual isn it not?

VW Edition 30 DSG, 5 door, RNS-510

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 02:57:39 pm »
I don't know, t'was more tongue in cheek and you're right about the box.

Stands to reason more doors and a big lump of toughened glass with the mechanisms etc weigh more than 1mm steel though.
Sideways yo!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 03:19:47 pm »
My comment regarding the times being invalid is based on the presenter having a whinge that the times he achieved werent anywhere near VW's claimed times.

Fair point, but I bet VW didnt get their times on a soaking wet road with what looks like a bad surface. A bit like me dyno testing a car with a claimed 200bhp and it only achieving 180bhp because I dyno'd it with wet tyres that causes slip.

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 0
  • Surrey
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 03:37:57 pm »
Fair point, but I bet VW didnt get their times on a soaking wet road with what looks like a bad surface. A bit like me dyno testing a car with a claimed 200bhp and it only achieving 180bhp because I dyno'd it with wet tyres that causes slip.

Very true.  :happy2:

VW Edition 30 DSG, 5 door, RNS-510

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 04:21:36 pm »
^^^^ Same conditions for both cars??? No doubt same tyres, age and mileage.

I think a very good comparision personally......

]But there again, i collect my Bus pass and Heating allowance next week  :wink:

Dam quick us old buggers

That can't be right, I thought I was the oldest Gti driver in Southampton!! :jumpmove:

TonyZ
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:28:51 pm by TonyZed »

Saint Steve

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »
Another fellow Southamptoner :happy2:

Welcome again Tony  :happy2:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 04:37:26 pm »
The gamble of a broken DSG not getting repaired is only the same as the clutch upgrade cost when you've reached a certain BHP modding it... swings and roundabouts.

£300-400 for an extended third party warranty is well worth it IMHO - I will be sure I take one out. More than pays for it's self if/when the MCU gives up.

It's somewhat ironic that some 90% or so of the problems with DSG are actually design faults (faulty MCU) rather than people blowing them up by exceeding the mythical torque limit of the box due to sending too much power through it, which is what everyone seemed to be worried about in the early days. Mechanically they seem to be pretty robust - its the mechatronics that are the weak link.

Despite VW UK's attitude to the DSG problems, I can confirm that VW are very very aware of the problems that exist. Just like they are VERY aware of the issues with FSI engines gunking up their inlet valves.

EDIT: I'm from Soton orginally too... And my R was registed at Peter Cooper as well  :happy2:
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 05:03:20 pm »
until they bring the premium of the DSG option down a bit...i won't be speccing it (however good it is)

well unless i start earning mega bucks then the £2k won't bother me  :signLOL:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 05:05:52 pm »
until they bring the premium of the DSG option down a bit...i won't be speccing it (however good it is)

well unless i start earning mega bucks then the £2k won't bother me  :signLOL:

it is a £1350 option. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 05:18:13 pm »
still needs to come down a bit more  :grin:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 06:05:19 pm »
The gamble of a broken DSG not getting repaired is only the same as the clutch upgrade cost when you've reached a certain BHP modding it... swings and roundabouts.

£300-400 for an extended third party warranty is well worth it IMHO - I will be sure I take one out. More than pays for it's self if/when the MCU gives up.

It's somewhat ironic that some 90% or so of the problems with DSG are actually design faults (faulty MCU) rather than people blowing them up by exceeding the mythical torque limit of the box due to sending too much power through it, which is what everyone seemed to be worried about in the early days. Mechanically they seem to be pretty robust - its the mechatronics that are the weak link.

Despite VW UK's attitude to the DSG problems, I can confirm that VW are very very aware of the problems that exist. Just like they are VERY aware of the issues with FSI engines gunking up their inlet valves.

EDIT: I'm from Soton orginally too... And my R was registed at Peter Cooper as well  :happy2:

yeah they seem to handle the power fine, just seems that some people, especially on the TT forums keep having reoccuring issues with the dsg

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 06:07:15 pm »

Last I heard VAG wont repair dsg boxes, but just fit replacements? Can people work on the DSG unit yet?

The clutch of the DSG doesnt worry me, its just the mechatronic units which can be troublesome,

New manual box is 2k, and they will want the old one aswell, new DSG box must be about 3-4k?