Make a donation

Author Topic: Manual Vs DSG (Golf R)  (Read 10299 times)

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
Re: Manual Vs DSG (Golf R)
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »
The gamble of a broken DSG not getting repaired is only the same as the clutch upgrade cost when you've reached a certain BHP modding it... swings and roundabouts.

Last I heard VAG wont repair dsg boxes, but just fit replacements? Can people work on the DSG unit yet?

The clutch of the DSG doesnt worry me, its just the mechatronic units which can be troublesome,

New manual box is 2k, and they will want the old one aswell, new DSG box must be about 3-4k?

MCU is £1600 on it's own and is normally what they replace first. I know of one instance on an R32 where VW stumped up £1000 even though the car was out of warranty. In the US I think there was a formal recall and the replacement MCU is warranted for 10yrs! Shame we don't have the Class Action Law Suit over here otherwise we might get a similar result!
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline jamiekip

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 07:43:33 pm »
Nice find Ben ;)

:signLOL:
TTRS Suzuka Grey

Offline candy turbo

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 07:52:25 pm »
6 or 7 tenths of a second!!!!!! , how could you live with that  :laugh: you speed freaks make me laugh  :grin:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 08:16:52 pm »
Nice find Ben ;)

:signLOL:

Tell you what mate, if I wasn't on the ball...  :signLOL:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 08:22:33 pm »
6 or 7 tenths of a second!!!!!! , how could you live with that  :laugh: you speed freaks make me laugh  :grin:

Believe it or not Ian, that would be fairly noticeable on the road, especially if the difference also continued to get greater as the speed rises and more changes were involved.
It depends which way you look at it I suppose. I would class say 4 car lengths between 2 cars to 100mph for instance, as being a fair bit quicker. Where as some people who can still see the other car a mile up the road class that as being "not a lot in it"..  :signLOL:

Offline jamiekip

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 08:23:08 pm »

Tell you what mate, if I wasn't on the ball...  :signLOL:

:happy2:
TTRS Suzuka Grey

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 08:50:43 pm »
my mates s3 dsg used to nearly make up for the fact that mine was revod and his wasnt. Awesome stuff.

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 09:09:31 pm »
DSG is the way forward...

They didn't even do the new Ferrari Italia in Manual  - only DSG   :innocent:
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Vick N

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2010, 10:30:01 am »
Wish I got dsg :( stupid mrs didn't like the sound of not habit a clutch!!! Lol. 
 :fighting:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2010, 10:56:02 am »
my mates s3 dsg used to nearly make up for the fact that mine was revod and his wasnt. Awesome stuff.

Same when my two mates had a side by side blast at Brunters. One had a Revo Stage 2+ S3 3dr, the other had a Revo Stage 1 S3 Sportback S-Tronic (DSG) and upto about 120-30 there was less than a car length between them..  :surprised: The Stage 2+ was clearly the quicker car in gear and noticably made ground. But as soon as he changed gear, the ground he made was near enough completely cancelled out and he wasn't slow on the stick either (bloody quick in fact).  :surprised:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2010, 12:15:31 pm »
DSG is the way forward...

They didn't even do the new Ferrari Italia in Manual  - only DSG   :innocent:

DSG is the way forward, but the 458 Italia has a single-clutch sequential manual 'box. The Ferrari California has a twin-clutch unit similar to BMW's DSC as it was more in line with the character of that car.

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 12:29:22 pm »

Same when my two mates had a side by side blast at Brunters. One had a Revo Stage 2+ S3 3dr, the other had a Revo Stage 1 S3 Sportback S-Tronic (DSG) and upto about 120-30 there was less than a car length between them..  :surprised: The Stage 2+ was clearly the quicker car in gear and noticably made ground. But as soon as he changed gear, the ground he made was near enough completely cancelled out and he wasn't slow on the stick either (bloody quick in fact).  :surprised:

Stage 2+ S3 S-Tronic is blindingly quick.............................................when the turbo works  :scared: :scared:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 12:38:51 pm »
DSG is the way forward, but the 458 Italia has a single-clutch sequential manual 'box. The Ferrari California has a twin-clutch unit similar to BMW's DSC as it was more in line with the character of that car.

458 Italia uses a 7 speed dual-clutch gearbox developed by Getrag..  :happy2:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 12:54:22 pm »

458 Italia uses a 7 speed dual-clutch gearbox developed by Getrag..  :happy2:

Crap, you're absolutely right, my mistake. I was thinking of the 599GTO.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 01:48:42 pm »

Stage 2+ S3 S-Tronic is blindingly quick.............................................when the turbo works  :scared: :scared:

Can't wait to test mine now..  :jumping:
What's up with your blower Tom???  :confused: