Make a donation

Author Topic: polishing and waxing by hand best technique?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
polishing and waxing by hand best technique?
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:47:36 am »
hi guys the s3 is starting to lok abit tatty in my eyes lol was going to go for a good polish on it but by hand has anyone got any good tips ect for me to help with a great finish? if this fails i shal have to pay some one to do it for me!

mitch

Offline gazjones

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Design portfolio
    • Email
Re: polishing and waxing by hand best technique?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:47:53 pm »
I'm not sure if I do it how it should be done but I basically use two of the autoglym application pads (red for application, blue for buffing off) and apply the polish in a circular motion. I then buff off in the same circular motion and go over the car with some Meguiars ultimate detailer and she shines lovely  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:01:40 pm »
I put a bit of work into the golf paint the other day, I went through the following process all by hand and it made a big improvement to the finish:

Washed, 2 bucket, dried with microfibre
clayed
polished Autoglym super resin not very abrasive but also helps fill, using a polish applicator pad and straight up down motions
pre wax cleanser
waxed

this dramatically reduced the swirl marks without detailed inspection, cleared pretty much all the blemishes, and having used a good hard wax has left glass smooth paint and a high beading finish.

Link to my thread on it http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14188.0.html

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 06:59:59 pm »
I would have thought cross-hatching would ensure maximum effectiveness of handpolishing. Use the appropriate applicators to spread and to work in. 

Must clay first.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:12:37 pm »
the best hand technique for this type of job is to pick up the phone and get Jay to detail it for you :signLOL:.....Sorry i will get my coat :ashamed:

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:29:09 pm »
Best way by hand is small circular movements to work the polish in then work into a front to back motion then up and down to finish. Work small areas at a time and take your time.
The best way i ever had it explained to me was, its like having a tug its not how hard you rub it, its how many times you rub it.  :rolleye:

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 06:27:11 am »
ROFL!!!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 08:59:52 am »
Best way by hand is small circular movements to work the polish in then work into a front to back motion then up and down to finish. Work small areas at a time and take your time.
The best way i ever had it explained to me was, its like having a tug its not how hard you rub it, its how many times you rub it.  :rolleye:
:congrats:

That explains your shiny car!  :scared:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.