Make a donation

Author Topic: My 3rd random chat thread of the day.......Exchange Server/POP3 emails/MX record  (Read 1568 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Hi guys,

I just wondered if anyone has any experience with Exchange Server/POP3 emails/MX record??

Basically, i have a microsoft exchange server that will soon be gone... :surprised: ..there are a number of email address is delivers mail for.

now, with the server gone, i wondered is there anyway i can still access my mail?

I only need my account monitoring, no more than one.

I dont know if anyone has used Cpanel before, i have and find it quite easy to manage emails using a set up like that. When it comes to exhange server and MX records, i bury my head!

So what i need to do is....move my domain name off the exchange server to some different hosting that lets me use Cpanel or similar to handle/distribute mail

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
Jay,
With your exchange server gone you'd have no access to your emails as it effectively is the smtp mail relay for your domain. Transfer your domain and set up the same email addresses so you have access through CPanel  :happy2: You could even use mail alias's. This way all mail would come through to one physical account.

Dom

Offline dan.payne

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Basically your domain name will be under control by a registrar for example tucows. Your registrar will provide you with a domain control panel (DCS) from where you can view & modify your current A, CNAME and MX records & maybe your website content if they host it. Your MX records will be pointing a mail. or mx. record at your current exchange server via it's public IP address using SMTP. So If you are going to scrap the exchange server to opt for a managed mail server I would speak with your current registrar and see if they offer POP3 or IMap mail which will allow you to use a mail client (Outlook/MACmail etc) on your local computer to collect your mails. If they don't you will have to either change to a registrar/host who offers a managed mail hosting service or point your MX records at google mail or a similar provider who offer such a service.

Hope that helps a little.  :happy2:

take a look at www.payh.co.uk and www.just-the-name.co.uk      
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:07:02 am by dan.payne »
GTi Edition 30 Phase 2+ :jumping:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
thanks for the replies guys, ive been trying!

Ive done this sort of thing before, but normally the hardest thing to do with a domain is Changing 2 Name Servers to your hosting.

Now, the Domain name is currently with BT. Their settings are not the best. The only thing i can do with it is change the MX record.

again, ive only fooled around with this sort of thing before, i dont properly know what im doing. The best ive done is change my @ record to my Server in the office so it can handle the mail.

So what i need to do is release the Domain from BT to my hosting co?

thing is...ive managed to alter the MX recs in the past so Web traffic goes to the Hosting Company i want to use.

But the emails are handled by the Server.

Just i just Knock off the @ entry from the MX record?

Offline JPC

• Thank You
Screw that,

Ive just found a "domain: Transfer Out" button,

So ive changed transfered the domain to my preferred Registrar.

When that is done, i can change nameservers etc.

hopefully it will be working soon!