Make a donation

Author Topic: Moto GP  (Read 9457 times)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Moto GP
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 11:53:22 pm »
The gsxr looks the dogs dangles but is it to much for a first bike? Would I be better of with more of a starting bike (Kawasaki)?

Offline jimlad09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 11:56:49 pm »
600's are very good place to start, my old man had a 600 and loved it, that was his first bike after passing his test, he wishes he'd kept it longer before getting the blade and scaring himself silly on it. cbr600 fr i think he had and he said it was just so much fun, easy to ride, forgiving and still f f f f...fuuur...fast

Offline TopOfTheFlop

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 09:08:49 am »
I've ridden bikes for about 10 years. Just a quick note on your insurance quote you posted Matt. The reason the Suzuki was
cheaper is because you put in GSR and not GSXR so it makes sense that the GSR is cheaper. Its a sports-tourer and not a fully
fledged GSXR. Just check that over again.

My first bike that i learnt on was an RVF 400. A sports bike but with a slightly smaller engine and very easy to handle. I then moved onto a Honda VTR Firestorm, which is a 1000cc V-twin but classed as a sports-tourer. Cracking bike with a great engine.

I wanted something a little more track focussed so i then bought the Kwak ZX6R. A 2006 model. It was the best thing i ever owned
for a track. The ride on the road is a little too firm.
Bear in mind it took me a good 5 years to be be able to be the boss of a bike like that meaning i don't advise you learn on the modern day 600's. Im still only young(ish) at 27 so i'm not the old fart telling you not to get a sports bike. Just bear in mind that the way they are made today, they can far out do anything your capable of and more than one time i've heard/seen mates and people who go straight for the sports bike when they dont know how to ride!!!

The SV650 is a great first bike with plenty of punch and a nice sounding v twin grunt. That would be my choice!

Cheers
Craig

Offline TopOfTheFlop

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 09:09:52 am »
Sorry it wasnt Matt who posted the insurance quote! (ed)

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 12:42:58 pm »
Id go GSXR  :happy2:
IF you can restrain yourself and be sensible learning the bike then Id go 600 sports bike, just be careful.
I passed my direct access in a month then jumped on a CBR 600RR5 , everyone said I be dead in a month  :confused: but thankfully I took my time and rode it in all weathers, if you respect it and the conditions youll be fine.
I didnt find it any harder than the 600F I did my test on, but then I didnt really fully push the bike for a long time lol
(I got an experienced friend of mine to cane it so that is was ran in properly  :signLOL:)

Takes its toll on your back/shoulders and wrists so if you have any issues there Id stay away from a sportsbike.....

I remember nearly dropping it outside the dealers  :signLOL:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 09:48:27 pm »
I've ridden bikes for about 10 years. Just a quick note on your insurance quote you posted Matt. The reason the Suzuki was
cheaper is because you put in GSR and not GSXR so it makes sense that the GSR is cheaper. Its a sports-tourer and not a fully
fledged GSXR. Just check that over again.

My first bike that i learnt on was an RVF 400. A sports bike but with a slightly smaller engine and very easy to handle. I then moved onto a Honda VTR Firestorm, which is a 1000cc V-twin but classed as a sports-tourer. Cracking bike with a great engine.

I wanted something a little more track focussed so i then bought the Kwak ZX6R. A 2006 model. It was the best thing i ever owned
for a track. The ride on the road is a little too firm.
Bear in mind it took me a good 5 years to be be able to be the boss of a bike like that meaning i don't advise you learn on the modern day 600's. Im still only young(ish) at 27 so i'm not the old fart telling you not to get a sports bike. Just bear in mind that the way they are made today, they can far out do anything your capable of and more than one time i've heard/seen mates and people who go straight for the sports bike when they dont know how to ride!!!

The SV650 is a great first bike with plenty of punch and a nice sounding v twin grunt. That would be my choice!

Cheers
Craig

Yes mate I noticed that yesterday. I used a registration of bike trader so maybe the bike is a bit dodgy! I tried another reg of a gsxr and they wouldn't quote, so that explains the confusing insurance quote. Its a shame as I would have loved one!  :sad1:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 09:52:25 pm »
Id go GSXR  :happy2:
IF you can restrain yourself and be sensible learning the bike then Id go 600 sports bike, just be careful.
I passed my direct access in a month then jumped on a CBR 600RR5 , everyone said I be dead in a month  :confused: but thankfully I took my time and rode it in all weathers, if you respect it and the conditions youll be fine.
I didnt find it any harder than the 600F I did my test on, but then I didnt really fully push the bike for a long time lol
(I got an experienced friend of mine to cane it so that is was ran in properly  :signLOL:)

Takes its toll on your back/shoulders and wrists so if you have any issues there Id stay away from a sportsbike.....

I remember nearly dropping it outside the dealers  :signLOL:

As above I cant get insurance on a GSXR (I really do hate insurance! No GTI, No GSXR!!!! :fighting:) I have just been with a friend on his ER6F and its a nice bike, I may be looking at that or the Suzuki under the GSXR (cant remember the name)

Like this:

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 10:23:56 pm »

As above I cant get insurance on a GSXR (I really do hate insurance! No GTI, No GSXR!!!! :fighting:) I have just been with a friend on his ER6F and its a nice bike, I may be looking at that or the Suzuki under the GSXR (cant remember the name)

Sure I can't tempt you with my RVF, little bit of forum discount  :signLOL:

I must have overlooked that insurance quote, the GSR600 is nothing like a GSXR600 although their names are basically the same.

Personally, i think a supersport 600 will be a big bike to start on (i'm 20 and have been riding since I was 6 years old and i've just got a 600 today). Something like an SV or an ER6 (I thought your mates had sports bikes in which case you might struggle to keep up on one of these) would be better but if you prefer the sports bike style then an RVF/VFR would be ideal. I wouldn't disregard them because there 200cc less, they can more than make up for it in the corners! They're insurance friendly for beginners too :happy2:

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 10:25:53 pm »
Just done a little research and the bike is called the GSX650F. Looks quite nice I think:

What would be the main differences between the Kawasaki ER6F and the Suzuki if any?  :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 10:28:16 pm »

Sure I can't tempt you with my RVF, little bit of forum discount  :signLOL:

I must have overlooked that insurance quote, the GSR600 is nothing like a GSXR600 although their names are basically the same.

Personally, i think a supersport 600 will be a big bike to start on (i'm 20 and have been riding since I was 6 years old and i've just got a 600 today). Something like an SV or an ER6 (I thought your mates had sports bikes in which case you might struggle to keep up on one of these) would be better but if you prefer the sports bike style then an RVF/VFR would be ideal. I wouldn't disregard them because there 200cc less, they can more than make up for it in the corners! They're insurance friendly for beginners too :happy2:

Matt

It looks a nice bike but I am looking for something a little newer tbh. Im sure you will have no probs selling it! Do you mean to big in power or to big in size?

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 10:44:34 pm »
No bother, yeah i've had plenty of interest in it so far.

Big as in power, I know people who have had a GSXR as their 1st bike and have been fine, another lad I know fell off on his 1st outing. It all depends how much you can limit yourself. Group riding isn't much good when you start out either, you tend to end up pushing harder and harder to keep up which can get quite dangerous for a beginner.

I don't think there would be much difference between the Suzuki and Kawasaki to be honest. Go and have a sit on them and test ride a couple when you get your license. Both nice bikes if you into that style of things but I would tend to go for the Kawasaki, lot more popular (most of the training schools use them or ER5's, must be pretty reliable and be able to take a bit of stick with learners on them all day)

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline TopOfTheFlop

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 10:55:04 pm »
I agree with Matt, the Kawasaki would take my vote also. Both are similar bikes. They are competing for the same commuter title as is
the Honda CBF600 or CBF600SA.

Group riding with all your buddies on supersports will only make you want to keep up - not a good way to start. I'm not trying to burst your bubble - just want to see you riding for longer :)

Enjoy in whatever you choose!!

Cheers

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 06:42:26 pm »
No bother, yeah i've had plenty of interest in it so far.

Big as in power, I know people who have had a GSXR as their 1st bike and have been fine, another lad I know fell off on his 1st outing. It all depends how much you can limit yourself. Group riding isn't much good when you start out either, you tend to end up pushing harder and harder to keep up which can get quite dangerous for a beginner.

I don't think there would be much difference between the Suzuki and Kawasaki to be honest. Go and have a sit on them and test ride a couple when you get your license. Both nice bikes if you into that style of things but I would tend to go for the Kawasaki, lot more popular (most of the training schools use them or ER5's, must be pretty reliable and be able to take a bit of stick with learners on them all day)

Matt

I understand what you are saying. What ever bike I get I will not be riding fast until I understand the bike, the way it reacts and the limits. I know that a 5 day course is not going to give me nearly enough riding experience. Like you said it is all self control I suppose.

Cheers for the advice!  :happy2:

I agree with Matt, the Kawasaki would take my vote also. Both are similar bikes. They are competing for the same commuter title as is
the Honda CBF600 or CBF600SA.

Group riding with all your buddies on supersports will only make you want to keep up - not a good way to start. I'm not trying to burst your bubble - just want to see you riding for longer :)

Enjoy in whatever you choose!!

Cheers

I will be telling them before hand I wont be going mad when I pass! They should be understanding as they have been leaners recently anyway!

Cheers
 :happy2:

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 07:24:13 pm »
In that case get out there bike hunting :laugh:

If you want to know anything else just shout up, can't beat a crack about the bikes!

Matt

Offline TopOfTheFlop

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 09:05:31 pm »
Have fun fella - you'll love it!