Make a donation

Author Topic: What the hell is going on my MPG has gone up  (Read 3532 times)

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
What the hell is going on my MPG has gone up
« on: May 24, 2010, 05:06:31 pm »
Hey folks

I thought id post this as im seriously surprised by the MPG ive been getting from my car.

When i first bought it just over a month ago i was getting on average 24mpg generaly driving around then when i was hoofing it around 18mpg.

Now the last week ive been averaging 32mpg generally driving and 25mpg when ive been hoofing it :confused: :surprised:

Now this has seriously surprised me and i dunno why its increased! my driving style hasnt changed but there are a few other factors ive thought of

Ive just added a Miltek cat back
I took the car on a long motorway journey which i dont think its done before
Ive gone through a few tanks of V-power so maybe im begining to get the benifits
The warmer temperatures
maybe ive got used to the car so subconciously ive learnt how to drive it smoother

Could any of the above be to blame? :signLOL:

Im definately not complaining its just surprised me

Ben

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline Poppa Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
Re: What the hell is going on my MPG has gone up
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 05:12:16 pm »
Is a remap also in the equation?

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 05:15:16 pm »
Dunno why, and I know it's against everything we have always been told, but my soot chucker does better the warmer it gets  :confused:

In the winter my mapped GT 2.0 TDI normally averages about 45-49mpg for my normal weekly mixed driving cycle. Over the last week however (with the warm weather) it's shot up to 56.7MPG  :jumping:

Don't know if it's because witht he warmer weather, it doesn't need to lean the fuel mix as much when the cars are cold (like the old chokes), or weather it's down to the fact that I''m not using headlights, wipers and heater seats at all lately ?

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 05:16:29 pm »
The car has got a REVO remap but this was done on the second day i had it :party:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:17:38 pm »
It could be that in the warmer weather the car spends less time on its 'cold start' cycle.

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 05:28:11 pm »
Yeah i have thought about the possibility of the warm up cycle but would this really make a difference of around 8mpg

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 05:46:50 pm »
Depends on the length of your journey, it double injects for the first minute to heat the cat up quickly, so that could be 8mpg over a short run, and with warmer air it will be injecting less fuel each time as the warmer air is less dense but doubt that has made much difference.

Using super could have made a difference as the engine will again be able to get more energy out of less fuel.  Maybe a combination of all the factors, like the new zorst makes a nicer sound at lower revs so you have started shifting up earlier!!  :evilgrin:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Nasir

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 06:35:31 pm »
I think it's definitely the fuel. The FSI runs best on super unleaded and the difference in MPG can be quite big.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 07:52:07 pm »
its the weather.

Warm air is less dense continous knock on effect blablabla

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:31:26 pm »
I do a 35 mile run each way to work every day with roughly 60% spent on the M6 and 40% on other roads with varying speed limits; in the winter I can just about manage 35mpg but with good weather like the last few days I'll get anywhere between 35 and 41mpg using the same driving style (granny-esque :sad1:).

I know some folks on here swear by it but in the three years I've owned my GTI I can honestly say that on my journey the weather makes more difference than super unleaded ever did.  In the 85bhp Polo I had previously it didn't make all that much difference to fuel economy either, but you could definitely feel the difference in throttle response and pick-up.

Just my 2p...

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 10:12:28 pm »
Mine has gone down along with the windows and the right hand pedal.  :evilgrin:

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 11:13:52 pm »
Hold on, if it's the weather how come I got much, much worse MPG figures out of my old Alfa GTV V6 when it was in Dubai compared to when I brought it back to chilly old Blighty?

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 11:17:09 pm »
naturally aspirated car, and seeing as dubai is stupid hot cooling systems would be working overtime.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:42 pm »
Not sure what the humidity is like in Dubai but high humidity wont help combustion.  Also altitude will have a bigger effect on normally aspirated cars, where as a turbo will help to counter the effects. 

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Nasir

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 12:18:21 am »
Not sure what the humidity is like in Dubai but high humidity wont help combustion.  Also altitude will have a bigger effect on normally aspirated cars, where as a turbo will help to counter the effects. 

It's very humid in Dubai but most parts are just above sea level.