Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG remap on sale in the USA  (Read 16996 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: DSG remap on sale in the USA
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 10:43:27 am »
Raise the launch control to a specified RPM
Raise the rev limit to 7500RPM
Allow full driver control of up-shifts, no more automatic change up at the engine limiter
Disable the HUGELY annoying kick-down feature
Raise the torque limit to 500ft/lbs and get rid of the pulling back that high power/torque DSG cars experience
Sets the shift speed at max for all throttle openings
Speed up the response time from clicking the paddle to the box changing gear
Quicker downshifts

This is the biggy for me, can be so annoying on mine. Do you not get it Jonny, just after changing up about 4500-5000rpm under hard acceleration?

Yeah mine does it all the time, feels better now with the stage 2+ mapping though I have to say, much smoother..

There is still a lot left in my car, and I think almost all of it is going to come from the DSG! Really cant wait to get something sorted  :happy2:

Jonny
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 11:18:58 am »
I don't know if I'd want or need most of the remaps features, but still I find myself falling back to the one real benefit..

I'm not interested in launch control - totally understand why it's required for the S3/R32 owners though.
There's no point raising the limiter on mine, as power is tailing off by then - K04 stuff I'm sure it's a benefit.
I use D mode for economy, so I don't want that playing with. I have a boring 13 mile drive to work and get an average of 37mpg, I'd rather save fuel commuting to burn enthusiastically elsewhere.

But to be able to have 100% control over manual mode is exactly what I want. I wonder if the control box they're planning will allow you to spec individual features?

....That's exactly what I think too - I'm simply not interested in LC and I want D to remain as is otherwise it's pointless having it and S-mode will do nicely. Even more control over the M-mode would be a plus but I don't find it lacking on a K03 Revo'd GTI - Afterall I'm neither racing against other cars nor against the clock, but just making fast progress as conditions allow.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 02:26:19 pm »
As far as I know the DSG map only changes the characteristics of the DSG when in M mode..

I think the map will make the car faster for sure, but mostly I would say the benefit would come in having full control over the car like a manual but with the added benefit of the DSG gearchange..

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 03:16:06 pm »
As far as I know the DSG map only changes the characteristics of the DSG when in M mode..

I think the map will make the car faster for sure, but mostly I would say the benefit would come in having full control over the car like a manual but with the added benefit of the DSG gearchange..

....Damn!! That sounds too good to pass over! However, I've never felt I was missing control of the gears in DSG-M but I've missed gears in the 300R you're currently driving, Jonny.

Good is good, but better is best!

Nurse! Nurse! I need help! There's lots of us here who need help. It should be called a ward, not a forum.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 03:18:28 pm »

....Damn!! That sounds too good to pass over! However, I've never felt I was missing control of the gears in DSG-M but I've missed gears in the 300R you're currently driving, Jonny.

Good is good, but better is best!

Nurse! Nurse! I need help! There's lots of us here who need help. It should be called a ward, not a forum.

Ill get it done first and let you know what its like, how's that sound lol..

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 03:41:34 pm »

Ill get it done first and let you know what its like, how's that sound lol..

.... :signLOL: You're not helping any of us feel any better!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 03:49:43 pm »
for me the interesting questions are why VW chose what appear to be very conservative limits for torque/shift time/clamping loads etc.
Ok they usually have generous headroom but the box 'seems' to allow so much more.
Wonder what the weak link is ? or was it just to ensure good reliability?
They always said it was torque limited for high output applications but maybe that isnt the whole story?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 04:07:13 pm »
^^^^
I don't know the answers but I'm wondering if VW wanted to play it particularly safe because of the initial difficulties in selling the DSG option to customers because of their perception that DSG is more complex than it actually is and therefore can easily go wrong and be very expensive to put right.

My thinking is possibly supported by the fact that VW dealers (AFAIK) aren't allowed to do DSG work apart from servicing and that faults, even outside warranty, are sometimes repaired FOC.

I'm speculating though.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 04:08:51 pm »
Its a bit strange..

The Manual 6 speed box is running in american with almost 700BHP on huge drag slicks and has almost broken into the 10 second bracket, with the only modification being the clutch

The DSG box is supposedly stronger than the manual box, but the clutch is a lot weaker.. I think thats why there is a torque limit in the DSG software..

Saying that, there is a guy in the states running 420WHP which is getting on for 500BHP with DSG and the stage 2 HPA DSG flash and has no problems, not one flutter..

Personally I think the DSG box is super strong and reliable, there has been a huge amount of scare mongering, but nothing to back it up!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 04:36:34 pm »
Jonny are you not experiencing that wierd clutch slip that Hurdy started getting, your mods must have taken you past his figures by now.  :chicken:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 04:57:17 pm »
Jonny are you not experiencing that wierd clutch slip that Hurdy started getting, your mods must have taken you past his figures by now.  :chicken:

Nope none of that. The car only has 15k on it though and I have only had it for 2k miles.. Also having a full DSG service completed while the car is in at VWR and ill be doing that (and engine service) every 3k miles from now on..

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 04:59:13 pm »
I may have missed it somwhere, but are you going to look for a DSG clutch upgrade when you bolt on the big turbo.  :smiley:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 05:22:05 pm »
I may have missed it somwhere, but are you going to look for a DSG clutch upgrade when you bolt on the big turbo.  :smiley:

Well im going to keep an eye on this guy in the US who has the GT3071R turbo and has just made 417WHP.. He's running stock DSG apart from the reflash so if he's running ok with that then I would probably leave it..

If I do decide to go BT it would be a GT3071R with Revo software.. I would need to have rods installed at the same time though to make sure that the engine didn't grenade itself..

500BHP in a FWD Golf GTI weighing in at 1100KG.. Thats going to be quick hey!  :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 06:07:42 pm »
500BHP in a FWD Golf GTI weighing in at 1100KG.. Thats going to be quick hey!  :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

....The words "like sh!t off a shovel!" come to mind :laugh:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 06:44:55 pm »
Speaking about big numbers, i was reading in performance VW about JD in Holland developing a stage 8 with well over 500BHP for the Mk 5 platform the other 7 stages where already done.  :party:  :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: