Make a donation

Author Topic: DRL/Fog lights question  (Read 15950 times)

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
Re: DRL/Fog lights question
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 02:42:05 pm »

I did not realise this I wont be doing that again did not realise you got Points & a Fine.. :surprised:

Thanks for letting me know :happy2:  :ashamed:

....Well I'm not 100% sure about the points/fine but you'd certainly get a warning and they'd be looking out for you. It is technically against the law as I understand it.

It's an offense - it's in the Highway Code!!

The LED message boards in the back of Police cars actually have a 'FOGS OFF' instruction because so many numpties think it's 'cool' to drive around with fogs on.  :fighting:

....I'm looking forward to seeing that 'FOGS OFF' sign  :evilgrin:

Hey, the Highway Code has changed since I knew it 40 years ago and I don't regularly read it.

You should, ignorance is not a defense!  :wink: :happy2:
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 02:57:43 pm »

It's an offense - it's in the Highway Code!!

The LED message boards in the back of Police cars actually have a 'FOGS OFF' instruction because so many numpties think it's 'cool' to drive around with fogs on.  :fighting:

....I'm looking forward to seeing that 'FOGS OFF' sign  :evilgrin:

Hey, the Highway Code has changed since I knew it 40 years ago and I don't regularly read it.

You should, ignorance is not a defense!  :wink: :happy2:

....There's lots of things I should do but don't :evilgrin:. I do read the Police Drivers Handbook though  :P

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Yellow

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 03:37:26 pm »

Xenons can run DRLs with just a bit of coding

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85932

If you run white LED's you can get a nice effect, don't know how legal it is though

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 04:14:52 pm »
You can code the side/parking-lights (aka city lights) to be on all the time - but even with retro fitted LEDS, by all accounts, they arent very bright.

Good suggestion though, probably the easiest option.

Legally, I can't see an issue with these provided you dont drive with just these on when it starts to get dark (it's yet another offense to drive with only side lights unless you are in a street-lit 30mph zone)

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 06:33:44 pm »
You can code the side/parking-lights (aka city lights) to be on all the time - but even with retro fitted LEDS, by all accounts, they arent very bright.

Legally, I can't see an issue with these provided you dont drive with just these on when it starts to get dark (it's yet another offense to drive with only side lights unless you are in a street-lit 30mph zone)

....You seem to know an awful lot about the Highway Code, animal :evilgrin:

My thoughts too: The 'DRL' sidelight not bright enough to do the job effectively at 120 mph on the autobahn, and doubtful at 70 in the UK either.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Kinbin

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • "Go-getter kid-at-heart with a need for speed"
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 02:05:33 am »

....You seem to know an awful lot about the Highway Code, animal :evilgrin:

My thoughts too: The 'DRL' sidelight not bright enough to do the job effectively at 120 mph on the autobahn, and doubtful at 70 in the UK either.

I like yellow's proposition on the DRL.... concur with animal as well... easist option, minimal fuss...need bright LED for max effectiveness. will post pix when mod is done.. in 2-3 weeks

The Mental Image And Feel Of My GTI; BQM-167 Skeeter Drone - Dodging Low Level Supersonic Jets @99.5% Survivability, Mach 0.95

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 08:33:58 am »

I like yellow's proposition on the DRL.... concur with animal as well... easist option, minimal fuss...need bright LED for max effectiveness. will post pix when mod is done.. in 2-3 weeks

....Yep, brightness is essential for DRL's to be effective and not for them to be merely any lights which you switch on in the daytime, but not dazzling bright like even dipped headlights are.

Yellow's option is much cheaper and easier than what I did (no surprises there, eh :grin:).

When it's done I may add it to my DRL Review as another option. :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:35:40 am by RedRobin »

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 02:37:41 pm »
What can I say RR - I like to be informed. If I don't know something, I like to go and look it up. My pet hate (after chav HID kits and front fogs lights on when it's not foggy) are people who drive with parking lights on at dusk or when it's raining. I got caught up in a somewhat lively 'discussion' on another forum many moons ago regarding the legality of driving with side/parking lights on, so decided to get clued up on the law.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »

What can I say RR - I like to be informed. If I don't know something, I like to go and look it up. My pet hate (after chav HID kits and front fogs lights on when it's not foggy) are people who drive with parking lights on at dusk or when it's raining. I got caught up in a somewhat lively 'discussion' on another forum many moons ago regarding the legality of driving with side/parking lights on, so decided to get clued up on the law.

....R E S P E C T to you!

Thank goodness you realise that my 'fogs' are proper Euro-legal built-for-purpose DRL's!! It became quite an involved project trying to fit them but I'm extremely pleased with the results and think that they are a real-world extra safety feature. A bit like how my Recaro tilt release 'project' is shaping up to be quite involved!

Calling the stokey balloonist.. Have you ran out of popcorn yet?  :grin:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:37:06 pm by RedRobin »

Saint Steve

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 04:37:53 pm »
Robin you should change then for a straight version rather then looking like fog lamp bulbs. Kinda like the Golf R's type. Just an idea maybe??

Please Dont shoot me  :ashamed:
Then there is no argument.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 04:44:57 pm »

Robin you should change then for a straight version rather then looking like fog lamp bulbs. Kinda like the Golf R's type. Just an idea maybe??

Please Dont shoot me  :ashamed:
Then there is no argument.  :happy2:

....Straight or strip LED versions is what I originally wanted to do but the reasons why I couldn't are all in my Review. To change them now would be using money I'd much rather spend on TT wishbones, half-roll-cage, and trackdays on the 'Ring. As I said, I'm very happy with what I've got, especially with the carbon foglight vented panels - It looks more subtle and vaguely oem to those who don't know.  :happy2: