Make a donation

Author Topic: First logs on s3 stage 2+  (Read 4723 times)

jonboi_h

First logs on s3 stage 2+
« on: June 01, 2010, 09:49:25 pm »
Ive done some logs on the current settings of my car just wondered if anyone can help me understand them. Im going round europe next week on the modball rally so want to get the settings right. Will i need to lower the timing with the warmer temps? or could i push the settings a bit more? Want to get the most from the car but not too much that the ecu has to pull back!

Current settings are B8 T5 F6

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: First logs on s3 stage 2+
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:08:21 pm »
Everythinlooks fine to me.

Your rail pressure is within correct values
Your N75 is fine
Requested vs actual boost is fine
Timing pull is none existent so perfect
Fuel trim is fine

All seems healthy :happy2:

Carl

jonboi_h

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:18:14 pm »
Everythinlooks fine to me.

Your rail pressure is within correct values
Your N75 is fine
Requested vs actual boost is fine
Timing pull is none existent so perfect
Fuel trim is fine

All seems healthy :happy2:

Carl

Thanks for the help!  :happy2: I did a log on B8 T6 F6 so upped the timing by 1. The car felt a lot faster but i got timing pull up to 5.3. Also i was hitting 1.5 bar 800rpm earlier. Do you think it would be ok to run 866 or is 5.3 too much pull? I think i may keep the settings at 856 for driving round europe as it seems well within the limits then. Which way does the fuel setting work? higher is more lean?

Cheers in advance!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:23:16 pm »
Anything up to 5 is apparently fine. However your car will drive better the lower you can keep that timing pull

I personally would keep those settings as they are. There is no point stressing the car just to get a couple of extra Bhp & lb/ft

The higher the fuel number the leaner it is.

Out of interest how long was the -5.3 for and on how many cylinders?

jonboi_h

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 10:29:13 pm »
Anything up to 5 is apparently fine. However your car will drive better the lower you can keep that timing pull

I personally would keep those settings as they are. There is no point stressing the car just to get a couple of extra Bhp & lb/ft

The higher the fuel number the leaner it is.

Out of interest how long was the -5.3 for and on how many cylinders?

On cylinder 2 for about 2.3 seconds, the biggest pull on the other cylinders is 3.

I was surprised that just upping the timing by 1 would mean i go from no pull with the settings on 856 to pull of up to 5.3 on 866.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:37:14 pm »
Different things happen at different settings on different cars.

I can run B9T7F6 but get timing pull across all 4 cylinders of around 3.8.

My car is now on B7T5F9 and runs far better and pulls far harder over a wider RPM band.

The only way your going to be able to up the timing now is to get a better cooler to keep temps lower.

You will find in winter you can prob run timing 6 or 7 due to the cold weather and the intake air temp being a lot lower.

Personally I would just stick at the settings you are on now :happy2:

jonboi_h

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 02:30:52 pm »
Did some more logs this morning. After looking at the results and how the car feels ive set it to B9 T5 F7. The car hits 1.5-1.6 boost for quite a while and i have 0 pull on any cylinders and all the results are within the limits.
Feels like a rocket! :laugh:
 Basically i cant increase my timing above 5 unless i get an intercooler or wait till winter! Any recommend any intercoolers? :grin: Heard good things about pro alloy, any other suggestions?

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 03:15:22 pm »
Carl, I will be going Stage 2+ at the end of the month (on Ed30 not S3) with Milly TBE, Dbilas and Autotech, but OEM IC (this is going to have to stay). The car is not going to be under hard acceleration for long periods of time though (ie no track days etc)
Would you recommend I run a fairly low Timing/boost setting without a uprated FMIC?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:17:48 pm by Vtec Abuser »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:21:37 pm »
yes lower timing and potentially lower boost trhan what a guy with an uprated IC would have.  when mine was stage 2+ i never had the IC, so ran those lower to ensure the engine would stay safe.  however the plan was to really advance the timing once an uprated IC and wate meth was installed to take advantage of the lower IATs

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:58:41 pm »
Carl, I will be going Stage 2+ at the end of the month (on Ed30 not S3) with Milly TBE, Dbilas and Autotech, but OEM IC (this is going to have to stay). The car is not going to be under hard acceleration for long periods of time though (ie no track days etc)
Would you recommend I run a fairly low Timing/boost setting without a uprated FMIC?

I can't really say what timing level would be safe. You would have to log the car. Just because the op got a lot of timing pull on his car doesn't mean you will and also you may not be able to run timing as high either.

Every car reacts differently but the general rule of thumb is you won't be able to have high timing without an updated intercooler or water meth kit.

The best advice I can give you is start off low on boost and timing ( B7 T4 ) and then gradually increase one level at a time until you can't go any further. If your unsure log the car and pm me I'll give you my email and I'll have a look at them for you.

Carl
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:04:29 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 04:13:44 pm »

I can't really say what timing level would be safe. You would have to log the car. Just because the op got a lot of timing pull on his car doesn't mean you will and also you may not be able to run timing as high either.

Every car reacts differently but the general rule of thumb is you won't be able to have high timing without an updated intercooler or water meth kit.

The best advice I can give you is start off low on boost and timing ( B7 T4 ) and then gradually increase one level at a time until you can't go any further. If your unsure log the car and pm me I'll give you my email and I'll have a look at them for you.

Carl

Cheers mate.  :happy2: Will be doing some logs and stick them up here for you to have a butchers. I realise that no 2 cars are the same (especially when Revo settings are involved), so like you say, it's hard to say. But starting on the lower boost and timing settings seems like the way to go for starters..  :happy2:

Offline Blade

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Taking a sabatical from cars
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:36 pm »
Carl, i run 976 and may be going decat. I assume then i will be able to raise the fuel to 7 which will lean it out more due to the lack of cat...yes?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »
Not necessarily no.

You have to log the car.

Just because you have a De-Cat doesn't mean you can lean out the fuel. Doing so may mean you get higher timing pull.

If you lean out the Fuel the car gets hotter, think more oxygen means bigger bang which in turn means more heat. This could mean that your car runs fine on B9 T7 F6 (i can do the same) however if you lean out the fuel to 7 you start to get dangerous timing pull levels. I have some logs going from 976 to 977. When on 976 i would get timing pull of around -3.8 on all cylinders. When i leaned it out to 7 i then got timing pull of -6.4 across 3 cylinders and 7.2 on the other.

You may find that you could run 877. BUT you need to log the car.

I really can't see what the obsession is of increasing the BTF. The difference in power is neglible. I have logs of my car on 877 and then on 976. I gained 2bhp and 5lb/ft so i didnt see the point of running the settings so high. I have done hundreds of logs on my car (317 last time i counted) and found that on 857 my car runs smooth and has no timing pull. On those settings i am only 3 bhp and 7lb/ft less than on 976. Something you are never going to notice on the road. So unless you really are chasing no.s then i would say if you car is running fine on 976 then leave it.

As the chinese say - "Dont fix something that's not broken"

Hopefully that helps :happy2:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 12:10:06 am »
Some heavy techie gumph here... what's timing pull?

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 09:16:24 pm »
The ECU will adjust from the Knock Sensor to 'pull back' the timing.
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers