Make a donation

Author Topic: Alloy polish and protect?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline jcm76

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Alloy polish and protect?
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:02:25 am »
Hi guys,

I've just bought some genuine Monza 2's, had them referbed and will shortly be buying some tyres and having them fitted to my car. However, I was just wondering if I should treat / polish them in any way to help protect them from grime etc? Kinda makes sense while they are off the car!

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Alloy polish and protect?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:06:32 am »
Makes alot of sense, get yourself some wax, and some poorboys wheel sealer.

Get the wheels nice and clean, then wax them, followed by 2-3 coats of the wheel sealant.  should make them a doddle to clean.  Did mine at the weekend but I had to jack the car up so do them before they go on!!

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline jcm76

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:15:01 am »
Can you recommend a wax to use before I seal them?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:25:34 am »
Dont think the wax matters too much, what ever you have for use on your body work will be fine, if you dont have any then anything with a good carnuba quantity.

You might find this post on SCN quite interesting http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=166653
 :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:06:09 am »
Cant beat poorboys wheel sealant, but when mine come back from the alloy repairs folk I am going to try out CG wheel guard, smells good to.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:18:05 am »
i use poor boys wheel sealant and its been excellent..

Offline jcm76

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 12:48:21 pm »
great - I'll give it a go. Any particular instructions on how to use - or just rub on, leave to dry and buff off. then repeat three times?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 01:27:18 pm »
Very easy to use, its very soft put it on with a soft cloth work to a haze like you would a wax or polish, leave to bond and then buff off.  Since you will have plenty of time think it would be advisable to leave some time between coats (not to long) and then do it as many times as you want, I guess the more you do now the longer the protection will last.

Left my wheels very shiny, you could see the difference looked and felt smoother, and when washed the water just beaded off it.  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 10:58:18 pm »
I tend to seal first then put a few coats of wax on to bring out the best in the wheel!  :happy2: