Make a donation

Author Topic: Tesco 99 Super Unleaded  (Read 4451 times)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Tesco 99 Super Unleaded
« on: June 12, 2010, 11:18:23 pm »
I have been running V Power following a recent remap till last Wed, filled up with 25 quid of Tesco 99 Super Unld.
The ED30 feels more 'dead' now in the power delivery :scared:.   I have burned most of since, and refilled with V Power, disconnected battery to remove any possible error codes but car doesnt feel the same as it did........

Do I need to keep running V Power, and maybe discon the battery again in a couple of days or maybe next week, after another fill up ov VP ?  :sad1:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
Re: Tesco 99 Super Unleaded
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 11:22:16 pm »
Dont quite understand that ...

If you've just had it remapped.. power delivery should be better !!! (despite which fuel you've used)... I always use V Power

Orr have you gone stage 2 ?  I noticed the power delivery was not the same lower down, but more spread out... hence i thought my car was slower at the time... but it wasnt lol

~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 11:24:47 pm »
You didn't have to disconnect the battery as doing so may, depending on whose map you have, reset the map to default stock!
Just keep filling up with V-power and the ecu should readapt to it after a couple of tankfuls.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 11:32:39 pm »
Ok, the car has been mapped for a couple of weeks now, felt awesome on V Power all the time (a few tank fulls gone through it already).  Last week I put  T 99 in and noticed a difference in power/delivery, not for the better.....

No running Revo/AMD etc so I know the Map is fine to stay there too.  I thought battery disconnection clears any codes etc.
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Nasir

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 11:34:49 pm »
The engine adapts as you put a lower grade fuel in, so a few cycles (on/off starts) should re-adapt to V-power again.

Saint Steve

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 07:35:58 am »
Why on earth are you disconnecting the Battery because of the fuel you put it. :confused:.It wouldnt of put any fault codes !!

In tests Tesco 99 or (Momentum) as its rebranded, came out better in performance tests.
Mine actually runs worse mpg on Vpower.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 08:25:54 am »
Mine runs like a dog on v power and only use it if I can't get tesco 99. If your map is revo, disconnecting the battery returns the map to stock mode, i'd imagine that is your problem!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 09:08:57 am »
Tesco 99 is what i use and is always good, the issue with the 99 etc is people are being stingy with the fuel prices these days and are sticking 95 in, hence the 99 is not getting use enough and therefore sits in the tanks at the station longer, and it start to go off.

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 10:17:24 am »
Why on earth are you disconnecting the Battery because of the fuel you put it. :confused:.It wouldnt of put any fault codes !!

In tests Tesco 99 or (Momentum) as its rebranded, came out better in performance tests.
Mine actually runs worse mpg on Vpower.

I think if you speak to a propper tuner, bad fuel can cause fault codes, thats why I disconnected the battery.  I know some people like T99, but mine was worse on it.

Tesco 99 is what i use and is always good, the issue with the 99 etc is people are being stingy with the fuel prices these days and are sticking 95 in, hence the 99 is not getting use enough and therefore sits in the tanks at the station longer, and it start to go off.

That is what I was thinking 182  :happy2:

Mine runs like a dog on v power and only use it if I can't get tesco 99. If your map is revo, disconnecting the battery returns the map to stock mode, i'd imagine that is your problem!

Its not  Revo mate, I mentioned this in earlier posts.

I'm gonna see how it is over the next week or so, and keep putting VP in I reckon and hope for a change.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 12:27:15 pm »
Firstly disconnecting the battery wont and cant re-write the cars ECU back to stock thats a myth. The ME9 ECU stores its info on solid state chipsets not a temporary flash memory that requires a voltage to retain its memory.

Disconnecting a battery wont clear any fault codes either if anything its more likley to add a few! nothing will be reset as such by disconnecting a battery.

The fuel issue I have seen a few times, the car may be running in a limp mode, often caused by too much ignition advance for the conditions/fuel type, ECU sensing knock and pulling loads of timing. Get the fault codes read and cleared and then carry out a throttle body adaptation (Engine, basic settings, block 60) and this should solve your problem.

I am hoping that your car was remapped proffesionally and datalogged /  dyno tested to create an accurate map rather than a '1 size fits all guestimap'

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 01:42:23 pm »
^^^i think what people where referring to is Revo reset to stock mode and not removing the code all together from the ECU.  :happy2:

@ OP it would be helpful if you let us know what remap and other mods your running as some setups are more sensitive to the fuel quality than others In my experience  :happy2:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:04:19 pm »
^^^i think what people where referring to is Revo reset to stock mode and not removing the code all together from the ECU.  :happy2:

Indeed, it happened to mine and having driven around on those settings for a few days, putting the  revo settings back on was shockingly different!

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 06:28:40 pm »
Firstly disconnecting the battery wont and cant re-write the cars ECU back to stock thats a myth. The ME9 ECU stores its info on solid state chipsets not a temporary flash memory that requires a voltage to retain its memory.

Disconnecting a battery wont clear any fault codes either if anything its more likley to add a few! nothing will be reset as such by disconnecting a battery.

The fuel issue I have seen a few times, the car may be running in a limp mode, often caused by too much ignition advance for the conditions/fuel type, ECU sensing knock and pulling loads of timing. Get the fault codes read and cleared and then carry out a throttle body adaptation (Engine, basic settings, block 60) and this should solve your problem.

I am hoping that your car was remapped proffesionally and datalogged /  dyno tested to create an accurate map rather than a '1 size fits all guestimap'

The car has had a professionally written map yes, not an off the shelf type so all good there.

Throttle Body adaptation ? I really dont know what that is...... I can try and speak to my tuner tomorrow about the issues Ive had after the T99 fuel has been in.  I drove the car today in damp conditions and it felt better than it has previously, maybe its recovering slowly or something