Make a donation

Author Topic: servicing question....  (Read 979 times)

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
servicing question....
« on: June 14, 2010, 01:18:25 pm »
All small query on servicing....

My car has been serviced regularly and well...not quite sure what to do for the best...bear with me.

1. First service on Longlife was at 12,300 miles. Main dealer, Smith Wright Fay London.
2. Second service on Longlife was at 26,137, Main dealer, Arnold Clark Jordanhill Glasgow.
3. Third service was done by an indy at 37,000, A4Audi, Glasgow  :happy2:.  2nd June 2009. (They carried out full service, cambelt, waterpump, DSG service, Aircon service etc). The Indy put it back on T&D and long life oil.

4. Now I am due a service one year on, ...so I went to my local VW main dealer  :fighting: and called the indy for quotes and advice.  Indy said its the small service thats due and quoted £140 plus vat. The Main dealer said small service and initially quoted £118 (inc vat) then upped this to £138 inc vat with Longlife oil. Quite surprised that this time the Indy is more expensive....  :stupid:

I prefer to use my Independent dealer as they offer a far better knowledge and understanding of the car and I trust them only to advise on things that are ACTUALLY needed rather than considering their revenue targets.

I only really considered going to the main agent, to get a stamp in the book again (for why I dont really know)...and also to ask them to reflash the ecu. I wanted peace of mind that all is ok again after I got revo taken off and fell out with the dealer (who has since gone bust). However, the Service Agent turned his snooty nose up and said "oohh nooo sir...we would only ever reflash an ecu if you were having some kind of problems,..so no we wont do it!).

So...after all that....am I better just sticking to the Indy...actually I think lol...that I have just answered my own question.

:signLOL:

What should I do?

Go to main dealer or back to the independent? Its a 2005 (55), MY 06 and out of warranty since September 2008.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: servicing question....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:38:03 pm »
IMO since you can't sell the car on as having a full dealer service history you are now as well to go to the indy as the dealers stamp is no longer worth that much.  Of course other factors come into it like cost / how much you trust them etc.

Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 10:51:26 am »
I reckon I will probably regret this....but decided to go back to VW for this service......(two reasons, they were £30 cheaper AND I want the ecu version reflashed if necessary).

So...first off I go to the service desk and say,

"whilst its in, can I ask that you get the Service Tech to verify that the ECU is at the correct version number and that it is fully up to date...."

Service Reception...."no sir"..."its not something that we would do unless there actually WAS an update showing for your car, which there is not!"

"me, yes but can you please request that they plug in their vcds/ pc and verify that I actually HAVE the correct level of sofware loaded"

SR..."Are you experiencing problems?"

Me.."not until I had this conversation,...." (thinks it though I didnt say it!)....
Me..."look, I dont think you are understanding what I am asking you to do. Please can you ask your technician to verify the software loaded is at the correct version..."

SR...looks at me incredulously....

Me...I am thinking now, give me the keys I am out of here...but ok...I decide to humour the boy....

So I explain further....."The car was previously remapped, I got the REVO software on the ecu removed."

I think at that point SR can see I am in mood to be f@cked with anymore....

"yes, sir I will put it on the job sheet!",  "But its unlikely that ...."  :fighting:

Fully expecting a phone call saying that they will reflash for £60 or something...God I hate main dealers, why did I do this?

If there are any advisory items I am going straight back to the good guys at a4audi ....fully expect I need new brake pads soon, will prolly stay stock, I'm kidding myself on if I think that i will upgrade to R32/S3 or anything sexy.

Offline Usual Suspect

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 02:52:29 pm »
If you aint got no warranty on the car from VW i would go and get it serviced independently providing that they are an approved garage and no what they are talking about