Make a donation

Author Topic: Looking at a mk5 GTI this weekend...  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Jonboy72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Looking at a mk5 GTI this weekend...
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:27:34 pm »
Hopefully will be looking at a 56/06 GTI this weekend, with 40,000 miles and full VAG history. I have had a look on the site with the search function but if anyone can give me any tips on what to check and what to look out for that would be great

The car has xenons so do i just need to check they light up ok and the washers work? Aircon, do i just check its icy cold? Anything else i need to look out for that will save me a big bill as i am completely new to MK5 golfs!

Thanks in advance for any help

J

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: Looking at a mk5 GTI this weekend...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:50:01 pm »
Air con should be icy cold(lowest setting well mine is  :happy2:). Have a good listen when fully up to temp.They do have a slight rattle (nothing to worry about ) BUT if is sounds  too much like a diesel it could be the small cam chain & tensioner right hand side of engine,cam belt is on the left. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:28:50 pm »
If its four years old or over make sure the cam belt and water pump have been changed.
Check high level brake light, can be prone to failure
And just the general stuff like service history, number of owners.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:24:02 pm »
40k is the big service thats the main thing, anything odd should have been picked up then - maybe check with the dealer who services it.

40k is DSG service time, unless its manual and then you dont need to worry about that!

Offline Jonboy72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:20:08 pm »
Thanks for all the useful info?

I assume the car should come with 2 sets of keys? and would a MK5 GTI of that age be on long life servicing, so maybe would have had the first service around 15-18,000 and 2nd at around 35,000?

thanks again!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:26:07 pm »
Aye most of them will be on the long life service plan. It should give you a good indication of how the car has been driven. If it has just been chugging up and down motorways then you might see the service book with 18,000 - 35000. But if it has been driven spiritedly then you might well see, 8000 - 15000.  :happy2: