Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM LED Lights - Skyline Style!  (Read 91447 times)

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: OEM LED Lights - Skyline Style!
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2011, 06:50:46 pm »
Litec do a red/crystal which those are ^^^^ and a red/smoke which is similar to the ED30/R32 style.

The original ones posted are far too black IMO.

I think I'd stick with the Valeo versions even if the skyline mod does'nt/did'nt happen. They are of the cars age, those Litecs look too aftermarket.

All IMHO of course  :happy2:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2011, 06:56:36 pm »
If I still have to do the design work it doesn't make a difference whether it's made and assembled by Valeo or some other PCB house...

Well from somebody who has designed and manufactured a number of niche products some of which have sold extensively the problem is when things dont go according to plan, whoevers selling them needs to warranty them for a reasonable length of time. All it takes is for condensation, flickering LCDs, you also need to be able to replace a single one if you get rear ended in three years time.....Do you want these arriving on your doormat in 6 months - Iulian in Romania is probably wishing he never got involved

Its fab that somebody is taking this one, but if its such a good idea then it might be worth taking it to the next step and getting an OEM to get involved with a concession for the first people who are interested.

They'd certainly sell well

....^ I think this is better posted in this other thread:   http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24268.0.html

If this modding is physically successful, those involved aren't intending to sell them - We're intending that we either show how it's done and supply some parts, or possibly (not decided yet) they send 'us' their inner units for modding - We're not going to be issuing any warranties etc.

Helpful post though, Dave  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2011, 06:59:34 pm »
Litec do a red/crystal which those are ^^^^ and a red/smoke which is similar to the ED30/R32 style.

The original ones posted are far too black IMO.

I think I'd stick with the Valeo versions even if the skyline mod does'nt/did'nt happen. They are of the cars age, those Litecs look too aftermarket.

All IMHO of course  :happy2:

.... x 2

I couldn't agree more. Nail on head: The Litecs don't match the look of the Mk5's age, even though the Mk6 is sort of a Mk5.5.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2011, 09:22:10 pm »
If I still have to do the design work it doesn't make a difference whether it's made and assembled by Valeo or some other PCB house...

Well from somebody who has designed and manufactured a number of niche products some of which have sold extensively the problem is when things dont go according to plan, whoevers selling them needs to warranty them for a reasonable length of time. All it takes is for condensation, flickering LCDs, you also need to be able to replace a single one if you get rear ended in three years time.....Do you want these arriving on your doormat in 6 months - Iulian in Romania is probably wishing he never got involved

Its fab that somebody is taking this one, but if its such a good idea then it might be worth taking it to the next step and getting an OEM to get involved with a concession for the first people who are interested.

They'd certainly sell well

I don't intend on offering a warranty or anything like that. I'm doing this because a) I want a set and b) it just so happens that other people would like the same, so we will make a batch of sets and sell them at more-or-less cost price. They will take however long it takes me (and the others involved in this project) to do them properly. What I do plan on doing is designing to (or close to) automotive spec. I am an electronics engineer designing electronics for cars, so I'm familiar with the requirements for automotive use.
I can certainly bounce things off Valeo but I doubt they will wish to undertake a run for a very small, limited market with a budget in mind - and certainly not with warranty and other hassles.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2011, 11:32:46 pm »

I don't intend on offering a warranty or anything like that. I'm doing this because a) I want a set and b) it just so happens that other people would like the same, so we will make a batch of sets and sell them at more-or-less cost price. They will take however long it takes me (and the others involved in this project) to do them properly. What I do plan on doing is designing to (or close to) automotive spec. I am an electronics engineer designing electronics for cars, so I'm familiar with the requirements for automotive use.

I can certainly bounce things off Valeo but I doubt they will wish to undertake a run for a very small, limited market with a budget in mind - and certainly not with warranty and other hassles.

....I'm exactly of the same mind as cmdrfire on this. We have the common interest to get the mod done and are happy to share and help others on this forum to do the same if they want.

Offline Aweful_Truth

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2011, 03:47:50 pm »
hi guys, so given this was about 9 months ago has anything been discussed and decided since? the thread just seemed to end?! ive got some of my own on the way and wondered what came of everything? was a very interesting read up to the last post!
To Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email

Offline G-Lader

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2011, 08:13:38 am »
Morning Gents,

Just enquired with someone who has loads of experience with fitting and modifying automotive lighting to accept LED’s.
I forwarded the links to some of the threads on here to give him an idea of what we were looking for and also to give him an idea of what work is involved.
He is away for a few days but will look into what time is going to be involved and how much he is likely to charge for the work to be done.

So, depending on the price, who would be interested in getting their inner light clusters modified to give the skyline effect???  :jumping:

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2011, 12:40:18 pm »
I'd be interested  :happy2:
GTI going...

Offline G-Lader

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2011, 01:56:49 pm »
Good man, well that's at least the two of us!  :signLOL:

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2011, 01:58:43 pm »
Good man, well that's at least the two of us!  :signLOL:

There'll be a good few more once they've read it I expect  :grin:
GTI going...

Offline G-Lader

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2011, 02:05:30 pm »
I'd think so.
Hopefully the price is reasonable enough for everyone.
When he looked through the thread and seen what was involved he said it was easy enough but just quite time consuming from what he could gather.
It would be a nice addition!  :drool:

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2011, 03:30:31 pm »
I'd be interested also.

Once we know what the costs are and time etc im sure many more will be in on this  :happy2:

I still need to source the Valeo lights themself, but it was the Skyline mod that appealed to me, so once i know its do-able i'll get them ordered!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2011, 04:52:07 pm »
There are quite a few of us who have already registered an interest but cmdrfire has had other commitments so far. Perhaps it's time to make a decision to take up another option.

cmdrfire?.......  :popcornsoda:

Offline dan1985

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Durham Collective
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2011, 06:02:55 pm »
I’m also interested in this

www.durhamcollective.co.uk  
North East VAG Owners Club