Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM LED Lights - Skyline Style!  (Read 91357 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: How to: Wire OEM LED Lights - Skyline Style!
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2010, 07:19:06 pm »
^^^^
As I said, mine are being done by a mate inbetween his other job commitments. Also, some bad news: Cracked a lens during opening one of the units, so there's a delay. Good news is that he's able to get just the broken component replaced but it has to come from Germany.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 10:20:01 am »
I'd definitely be interested in having a go at this / paying somebody to do it for me. Not really sure why there aren't LEDs in there in the first place.
GTI going...

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 10:25:09 am »
I too love the idea of this and would definately be up for getting mine done! Keep us posted RR! :happy2:

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01:50 am »
^^^^
As I said, mine are being done by a mate inbetween his other job commitments. Also, some bad news: Cracked a lens during opening one of the units, so there's a delay. Good news is that he's able to get just the broken component replaced but it has to come from Germany.

Sorry to hear that but at least its getting sorted. TBH that's why I haven't set on with it yet too much risk of me cracking the lens. Best to pay someone to do it. Keep us all updated :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 06:39:54 pm »
Latest update:

My mate Chris is making sure that whatever we do will pass an MOT (good thinking). Consequently, as currently on the workbench when having twin rear foglights, they override the extra LED indicators on the inner (bootlid mounted) units only. But we want all four indicator lights to action even if the two rear fogs are on. So he's having to create some microchip circuitry - Not a problem for him but just a delay.

We're confident we're going to get there but this first one is throwing up what needs solving - Guinea Pigging.

Btw, he tells me that apparently in Canada it is not allowed to alter oem lights in any way whatsoever. Australia has restrictions on aftermarket wheels, so perhaps we're better off than we realise in the UK...   About some things.

He's also been telling me about new laser trap speed 'cams' in mainland Europe but he has found a (currently) legal workaround.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline .:GTI|SUNNY:.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 11
  • I spend too much time on this forum, I'm addicted
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 06:58:10 pm »
slightly off topic  :ashamed:

Do LED rear lights need to be programmed via VAGCOM or are they plug and play like R32 rear lights?
| Tornado Red GTI |

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 06:59:23 pm »

Do LED rear lights need to programmed via VAGCOM or are they plug and play like R32 rear lights?

....Plug-n-Play, mate - Like other good things.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2010, 07:04:14 pm »

Do LED rear lights need to programmed via VAGCOM or are they plug and play like R32 rear lights?

....Plug-n-Play, mate - Like other good things.
Thanks Robin  :happy2:

are you by anychance going to VW Players on 19th or Westside Show 26th? would love to see how your lights look in person on best colour GTI's you can get  :wink:
| Tornado Red GTI |

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2010, 07:16:04 pm »

are you by anychance going to VW Players on 19th or Westside Show 26th? would love to see how your lights look in person on best colour GTI's you can get  :wink:

....Not going to either as I'm more into 'Go' than 'Show' (although I enjoy the social). Also, I'm based in the SouthWest. But anyway, my tail lights won't be finished and plugged in yet.

Santa Pod forum meet in October?

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 07:23:03 pm »

....Not going to either as I'm more into 'Go' than 'Show' (although I enjoy the social). Also, I'm based in the SouthWest. But anyway, my tail lights won't be finished and plugged in yet.

Santa Pod forum meet in October?
ok no problem Robin thanks for the info  :happy2:

Yes going to forum meet, so see you there  :happy2:
| Tornado Red GTI |

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2010, 09:16:45 pm »
But we want all four indicator lights to action even if the two rear fogs are on. So he's having to create some microchip circuitry - Not a problem for him but just a delay.

Now Robin you have me confused :surprised:(I know it’s not difficult) I expected you to have the inner lights just lighting red, when you have the side lights on.
I have this on the my other car, an Audi A4 Avant and wasn't expecting the indicators to flash as well it’s no wonder your auto electrician is pulling his hair out :rolleye:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2010, 10:02:32 am »
^^^^
He's not pulling his hair out, Eccie - Some of it was his idea! I know him well and he's enjoying it and wouldn't take it on otherwise. I just gotta be patient and let him fit the work in amongst the work that comes in through his shopfront. I'm always in at the backdoor to the workshop.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 10:41:32 am »
LATEST:

My mate Chris is still working on this between paying jobs and it's additionally taking time because he's rightly taking the attitude that whatever we do must be 100% legal and pass MOT. For example, the rear fogs must override all other functions of those particular LED bulbs. Things like microprocessors are involved. So I'm being patient and in the knowledge that it'll be 100% right when complete. It won't be ready in time for Santa Pod.

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 10:49:13 am »
Very much looking forward to the finished set.   :pomppomp:

I've just ordered a set from the states but got my sums wrong so mine will probably be the most expensive set on a golf @£285  :ashamed:

Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.
To be fitted: Reverse Camera & uprated headunit.

Future plans: De-dent & Detail

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 08:24:37 pm »
Is that £285 with them modded?

Or just standard???
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators