Make a donation

Author Topic: USA style running lights on UK car?  (Read 20185 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: USA style running lights on UK car?
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2010, 03:53:15 pm »
Guys,

Something which may or may not be relavent. My friend with a 55 GTI, had me enable the USA style driving lights on his car (not the indicators, but the standard headlamps) set at only 40% brightness.

As you may or may not know, the way these work is that only the headlights come on (no tail or dashboard lights) and when you are stationary and put the handbrake on, they go off. As soon as you release the handbrake, they come back on again.

He's been running these for about 6 months now, no problem until recently. He needed an MOT and it failed on the DRL's. What the examiner said was that when the switch was in the sidelight position and the engine running, both front and rear taillights MUST illuminate irrespective at all times when the switch is in this position. On the Golf, the tail lights only come on when the vehicle is stationary with the handbrake on. As soon as you pull off , the taillights go off, even with the switch in the sidelight or auto positions. Obviously when the Auto lights switch the headlights on, it overrides the DRL function and illuminates both ends of the car.

In the end, he had to disable them to pass the MOT. Like I say, not sure if it affects the mods you guys are going with the indicator lights, but maybe worth checking ?

Andrew

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: USA style running lights on UK car?
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2010, 07:02:45 pm »
Im having no joy getting the sidelights on! I can get the dimmed indicators to work but only in the 'sidelight on' position!

That's the intended functionality isn't it Rich?
That's what I have to do anyway. They're not automated DRL's i.e. rely on the dusk sensor and turn on automatically once the ignition is spooled. They rely on the driver moving the light switch to the sidelight on position.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door